Redefining well-worn

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Redefining well-worn

Post by Walker »

Brought this old soldier home today. Manufactured in 1901, in 45 colt.
20211203_154116.jpg
https://adobe.ly/3ltjKg7

Anyone recognize the aftermarket grips?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Redefining well-worn

Post by 2ndovc »

Cool! I like the been there, done that finish.

Have fun!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Now that is lovely. I have rescued many a Colt SAA in my days and I have the greatest admiration for your acquisition. Just imagine how many trips in and out of a holster it took to wear away that ejector housing. I think I have a pair of grips like those but provably without the Colt medallions. It does say Colt on them bit probably just means that's what they fit. I think that one should have hard rubber without eagles and to look right should be well worn but finding some that fit will be tough. If you show it to those guys over on the Colt forum they'll pick it apart but don't let them rain on your fine find. Congratulations!
You should probably shoot only black powder loads in it by the way. (No verified proof on the left front of trigger guard.)
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

It certainly shows it's seen a lot of at least carry wear. But also doesn't show ever being abused. I really like the look of it, and would be happy to have one similar if the mechanics and bore are good.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I'd call it well loved as well as well worn..... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

There's nothing wrong with that good ole Colt.........a worn, but original Colt is always more desireable than a reblued, buffed, and obviously altered one.....the grips? Well, I'd go hunt down a well worn pair of old hard rubbers to match the condition of the metal....replaced new grips on a masterpiece such a Colt is like putting a suit on a monkey.

Even if you have to buy a new reproduction correct-for-the-period pair of first gens and then "work them over" and then be sure to fit them correctly. I've bought entire guns many times just to get original parts then sold off the rest of the gun for whatever I could get for them.

Does the barrel have the two line address or is it worn off?

I'd take a well worn Colt that's original before I'd take a crate of new Uberti's or other foreign j.u.n.k.

Just ask Alec Baldwin on what the price of buying junk is or pinching dollars.......it's going to come out sooner or later that the Pietta he was using was flawed.......Geeze, who would have guessed.-------006
Model A Uzi’s
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

I want it! Dreaming of one similar in 38-40.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Thanks guys. It's got the 2 line address still visible.
20211203_154334.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.