Advice needed on Bullet Mould

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Swagman
Levergunner 1.0

Advice needed on Bullet Mould

Post by Swagman »

Morning All,

I have a Marlin 1895 Cowboy 45/70 and I am seeking some advice on bullet moulds. I only shoot black powder out of my lever guns and at present I have a 430grn flat nosed bullet that I have been experimenting with in the Marlin; this bullet has 4 fairly narrow grease grooves and I think I need one with larger grease grooves to keep down the fouling in the rifle. Will be most grateful for any help from the members of this forum.

Cheers
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Advice needed on Bullet Mould

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hi Swagman, take a look at these bullets.

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?Brand=Monta ... %20Swaging

I used a 485 grain .456 diameter bullet from them in my 71/84 Mauser but with a smokeless powder load using Blue Dot. They fouled like crazy for me with the BP lube, but the bullet did perform so well, that I had it copied for my Mauser uses at 1538 yards and still use the same bullet but better cast with modern smokeless lube by my friend Jim W. The Montana Precision Swaging bullets are specifically designed for BP shooting. Might be just the ticket you are looking for with your gun. I would also like to add, that the 500 grain, 458 round nose, 45-70 bullet, is probably one of the best, if not THE best, bullet ever designed for the 45-70 based upon the Sandy Hook tests of 1879. As posted by our own Ray here at Leverguns.com:

https://www.levergunscommunity.org/view ... hp?t=49892

Regards,

-Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
black river smith
Levergunner 2.0

Post by black river smith »

I am not the best on the suggestions for 'hunting bullets' but I have shot mainly BP in my 45/70's.

I would suggest the Lyman 457193 bullet. It was described as... 457193. Is the regular .45-70-405 Marlin. The difference between it and the .45-70-405 Government is the flat point. (PB, 405 - TP is 191). Its grease grooves are not huge but enough when a good BP lube is used.

OR

Believe it or not -- I like the LEE 459-405-HB #90268 just for its huge grease grooves and its flat nose tapered profile. I size to 0.457 for a no bulge fit. It smoothly slides through lever actions. Not an expensive mold to try and experiment with, either.

I like staying with original designed weight and length bullet for no issue functions in lever actions where length and profile can affect operations.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

This is the original .456 bullet from Montana Precision Swaging Cast Bullets. It it now available again. I'm grateful I had the harder bullet made for my purposes. But still very nice bullet design!

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010753165?pid=611170

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Swagman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Swagman »

Thanks for the help Gents, I will have a look at your suggestions.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Your leaving out pertinent information....whether you hunt, plink, target shoot, or whether you prefer short range or long range will make a big difference in bullet selection.

Like, who want to plink with a 500 grain bullet or who wants to use a 300 grain bullet for elk at 300 meters?

State your needs or do what I do....get em all....life is too short to "short" yourself.--006
Model A Uzi’s
Swagman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Swagman »

Thanks Sixgun, you are quite right. I mainly target shoot out to 200 metres and hope to take the 1895 CB hunting now and then as well.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Ok Swagman dude.....I can't help you on the blackpowder design as I shoot smokeless at BP velocities or a bit above.....lot less aggravation.......I use a 375 grain bullet in my 45-70's and 45-90's......NEI design....I'll put up a pic later.....killed several elk with the 375 grainer

I've tried and used them all up to a 575 grains and in later life decided to simplify and stay with the 375 gr. sized .460.---006
Model A Uzi’s
Swagman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Swagman »

Thanks for your help Sixgun!