Fun Shots With A Sixgun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Fun Shots With A Sixgun

Post by JimT »

My Dad used to shoot in pistol matches back in the later 40's and early 50's. He shot either a Colt SAA .45 or a S&W 1917 .45. Many of these matches were indoors and most shooters shot .38 Specials with 148 gr. wadcutters over a couple grains of Bullseye. Three grains was pretty much a factory load and these guys shot less than that. Dad would go in and shoot his .45 Colt with full Blackpowder. The blast and the smoke psyched a lot of the shooters out and made it easier for him to take the match. He also would make a few practice shots with the 1917 holding it upside down in his left hand, pulling the trigger with his little finger. He would make a shot near center on the bullseye and then quit and wait for the match to start. That put a lot of pressure on the other shooters.

So early on I learned how to to that ... shoot the sixgun upside down in the 'weak' hand.
upside down left handed.jpg
This came in handy at times.

I was the new pastor at the little church in the southern Arizona mountains. New in town. New to most all the people. I had been there a couple weeks and my wife and I were invited to dinner at one of the church member's homes. When we arrived the husband and I got to talking while the women were in the kitchen. He said, "Hey preacher .. you ever shoot a gun?" I said, "Yeah a couple times." He said, "Lets go out back and shoot some beer bottles." And I agreed. I said, "I have an old pistol in the car. I will get it." And went and got my early 7 1/2" Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt.

He looked a little surprised at the gun and then pointed to the bottles about 10 or 15 yards off and said, "Think you can break one?" I said I would be happy to give it a try. I held the sixgun upside down in my left hand and broke 5 bottles in a row. He just looked at me, walked in the house and put his gun away. We had a nice dinner and polite conversation but he never talked about shooting with me again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Fun Shots With A Sixgun

Post by Twodot »

:lol: :lol:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Great story Jim, I can just imagine that guy's face.... :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That's great!

My grandfather carried a Colt 1917 on his AZ Border Patrol days. He was a big fan of the .45 ACP and always had one in his desk drawer in his later years as a contractor.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jim, that's one of your best yet! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:59 pm Jim, that's one of your best yet! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
+1 :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Whenever I read what the MASTER has wrote, I learn something or confirm what I thought I already knew.

Some people have nerves of steel. I don't and have wondered why there have been times when the match director would put me next to the guy (match directors buddy) who shot the 500 S&W in metallic silhouette handgun.....in fact, it pizzed me off...a lot...

This guy could shoot the 500 like I could a .22...very calm....he used full loads too.

Your dad was a pistolero at a time pistols were not that widely used.....I would have loved to meet him..or you for that matter. You can learn in a day from an expert what 10 years of self schooling will do.

I've tried upside down shooting...it's easier than what it looks like after a bit of practice but is only good for short range...duhhh--006

On another note we can all clap our hands...FREDO is gone!
Model A Uzi’s
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

That's a great post Jim. This forum really needs a "like" button!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Catshooter wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:01 am That's a great post Jim. This forum really needs a "like" button!
Hey Cat! I agree! But........but.......I think ole Jim hit the sack around 8 pm so we will have to wait till noon tomorrow to see what he says.----006
Model A Uzi’s
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Thanks 🙏🏼
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Good'un Jim!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Thanks Jim. That takes me back.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:06 am I think ole Jim hit the sack around 8 pm so we will have to wait till noon tomorrow to see what he says.----006
Naw .. I was awake until at least 9:30. Having a evening nightcap of whiskey and contemplating the beauty of the night sky and pondering how Papa God took a risk letting us have our own way and how we usually blame Him when we screw it up.

I ain't thinking of anyone else but me. I've done that plenty. Amazingly, He never got upset with me about it. For that I am thankful.

EDIT: P.S. ... thanks for liking the story. It's as true as I can remember it. :D

Sixgun .. thanks but I ain't no master of anything. I once thought I was but I got that straightened out. :roll:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

JimT, that is a great story and certainly violates my rule not to take a second shot … which I learned … :wink: by taking a second shot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Fun stuff. I know that I've done the upside down trick a time or two with a .22 but don't believe that I've ever done it with a centerfire of any flavor - maybe next range trip. My dad's favorite trick shot was the over-the-shoulder with a mirror thing.