I love osage

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

I love osage

Post by wvfarrier »

New panels from Texas Grips.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: I love osage

Post by gamekeeper »

Quite a eye catching color..... I like 'em....😎
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

A great bow wood, never crossed my mind for grips, should darken nicely.
What are they going on?
Rumble.com/ hickock45
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Model 27 Reg Magnum
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Osage laminated longbows always caught my eye as well as some Osage duck calls I’ve seen . Very nice grips :!:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I, too, have always associated osage -- bois d'arc -- with some of the very best selfbows, right up there with Pacific yew and vine maple. Be nice to see how those grips look after some use.
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

I have smooth Osage Orange inserts in the Ruger rubber grips on my 6" blue half-lug GP-100 .357. They have worn not at all since I bought them from a member of www.rugerforums.com back in 1990. They are actually almost orange!

I used this gun as my tree stand "deer rifle" for about 20 years when I lived in upstate NYS and VT where ranges are measured in feet, not yards. Frozen jungle!
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

An eye-catching and tough wood that deserves more play than it gets. Nice grips!
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Local duck call makers often use the underground portion of old osage fence posts. They often polish to a beautiful OD green color.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

27-8 Reg Magnum
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I just wish I could find some. I visit the (grizz cubs) in TX fairly regularly, and the only place I see it is in woodcraft. I would like to find some windfall or pulled posts or fence line clearing for something I could take home in the round to process for knife and pistol scales, and tool handles, like adzes, and scorps. stuff like that. I have probably asked a lot of Texans, and no one can point me at a source. Desert Ironwood is another cloaked resource that no one, cough, cough, knows anything about finding it. Sheesh. But it sure is beautiful stuff when it's made useful.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Grizz wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:32 pm I just wish I could find some. I visit the (grizz cubs) in TX fairly regularly, and the only place I see it is in woodcraft. I would like to find some windfall or pulled posts or fence line clearing for something I could take home in the round to process for knife and pistol scales, and tool handles, like adzes, and scorps. stuff like that. I have probably asked a lot of Texans, and no one can point me at a source. Desert Ironwood is another cloaked resource that no one, cough, cough, knows anything about finding it. Sheesh. But it sure is beautiful stuff when it's made useful.
This time of year the trees are easy to find. Look for the big green softball size hedge apples.
Texas may be too far south and west to find old hedge rows. They are becoming fewer and fewer here in western Missouri and eastern Kansas, to the detriment of all the upland game.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Grizz....I need to check but I might have a set of blanks. Just not sure where I put them You can have them if I find them