Got some shooting in today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Got some shooting in today

Post by marlinman93 »

Went out to the range this morning, and took my old Marlin 1894 Deluxe in .25-20M with me. It doesn't get out much lately, so I figured I'd give it a good workout. Took 150 rds. of .25-20, and shot our silhouette course out to 200 meter rams. The little .25-20 is a tack driver, and very reliable with the factory tang sight, and Lyman combination front sight it has on it. Lots of fun!

When I got done, I began picking up ammo and noticed a bunch of shiny new brass just ahead of the firing line! I was the only shooter there, so no issue being ahead of the benches. It was almost all .45 ACP, and 9mm, with a smattering of .40 S&W I don't own. Picked up as much as I could grab quickly, and counted it out when I got home. 200 9mm cases, 150 .45 ACP, and about 10 .40 S&W that I accidentally grabbed. I usually leave brass I don't reload for so if someone does they can grab it. Made the fun trip to the range even better!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Got some shooting in today

Post by Sarge »

That's a great old rifle and I'll bet it is a hoot to shoot.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

That`s a nice looking rifle, sounds like a fun day. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Very nice!

I usually look for brass I can use, but for the last year or so the guys at our gun club have been picking up after themselves. Usually, they leave a lot of good stuff lying around.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vall, I think a pistol grip and half or three-quarter magazine is as elegant as a lever gun gets. You had a good day, friend! 8)
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

marlinman93, that is one beautiful rifle. I've actually shot a carbine like it that was in 25-20 too. Shot a SASS match with it even though it wasn't within the rules.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

What a classy looking rifle.... :mrgreen: sure sounds like a good day at the range...
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Great looking rifle! Great day too!
40 short & weak brass, make decent .430 bullets.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

When I was avidly collecting early Marlin leverguns, I bet I looked down the bores of a couple dozen in .25-20 before I finally found one with a good bore! I had a large number of Model 1894's in all the other calibers, and .44-40, .38-40, and .32-20 were easy to find with nice bores. Just something about the little .25-20's that most were bad bores. I have a friend who collects Winchesters and told me he's fiund the same with old 1892's in this caliber, and most having bad bores.
I sold off all of my 1894 Marlins long ago, but back about maybe 6 yrs. ago I heard a local auction house doing estate auctions had some guns in their auction. I went to the preview, and most were uninteresting, until I spotted this 1894 deluxe! I wasn't going to be able to attend the auction, so I tossed a large bid at it, but still well under what it was worth. The day after the auction I got an email notice that I'd won the auction, and ending bid was half of my maximum bid! I got very lucky, as later a friend looked at it and said he was at the auction, but decided he didn't want to bid on it. And he collects Marlins too! I asked why he passed up such a nice gun, and he told me he thought it was restored. After looking at it when I won it he said he probably made a mistake.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:46 pm Vall, I think a pistol grip and half or three-quarter magazine is as elegant as a lever gun gets. You had a good day, friend! 8)
My exact feelings too Bill! And finding them in that configuration, with high end wood, and piano finish is extremely tough. Sometimes you just get lucky.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

that is a real beauty.!! i only have one 25/20 left and it is a marlin 1894 short rifle and it too is extremely accurate !

the one you have is just elegant !
cable
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

hfcable wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:07 pm that is a real beauty.!! i only have one 25/20 left and it is a marlin 1894 short rifle and it too is extremely accurate !

the one you have is just elegant !
Thanks Cable!
I used to own a pretty rare takedown 1894 short rifle. It was a very weird gun as the back half was a saddlering carbine, and the front half was half octagon 18" barrel, and half magazine. All matching numbers and lettered this way. It too was a .25-20M caliber.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

dang ! that is n unusual version.... marlin did make some unusual guns!
cable
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Niiiice! Great to see one out and about.