To the archers among us...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

To the archers among us...

Post by 4t5 »

I shoot all year long using a recurve but switch to a compound for hunting, what do you guys do?
Rumble.com/ hickock45
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: To the archers among us...

Post by gamekeeper »

I'm not supposed to hunt in the UK with a bow but have used a Recurve and Flat bows... :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

For me, it depends where I am hunting. If Im planning to hunt an area where all my shots are within 20 yards, its my selfbow. If I may be able to reach out to 40+ then its my compound.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Been years since I bowhunted, but I do keep a reflex/deflex on hand.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I put a privacy fence around my yard last year so that I could shoot air rifles and use archery equipment in my back yard. So far I have been too busy to take advantage of the situation, but I should change that.

Shooting a bow is really good for the mind and body.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

i don't bow hunt but i have a recurve and a couple of flat bows for playtime in the back yard and out in the woods
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Used to deer hunt with a Bowtech Liberty compound and used expandable s, and took a few for sure.
Now i can`t even walk in the woods so enjoy while ya can. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

I currently hunt with a crossbow because my shoulder got too bad to shoot the compound a couple years ago. I also have a recurve that I've had since I was a kid and still shoot it from time. One day I want to take a deer with it.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have killed deer with the compound bow, crossbow, and recurve bow. I have enjoyed shooting with the recurve bow the most, but as I have gotten older, I have trouble pulling back my 65 lb recurve and need to get a lighter bow. I have killed more deer with the crossbow, but ironically, the longest distance kill I ever made was with the recurve. I would like to come up with some lighter limbs for my Martin Hatfield Takedown recurve bow, maybe about 50 lbs pull or even 45 lb would serve me better at this point in my life.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I have a Howard Hill Big Five longbow that pulls 90 pounds at my draw length. The cedar arrows I used were as you might expect, chunky and I used a Howard Hill broadhead that was absolutely deadly.

I would hate to have to pull this one today. It was a wonderful deer killing instrument and I think I killed 10 or more east Texas whitetails before I got busy and quit bowhunting.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

I'm relegated to hunting with a crossbow. Rotator Cuf surgeries on both shoulders have restricted most activities that require much shoulder strength for very long.
jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

I’ve changed through the ages. My first deer was shot with a 40# Ben Pearson fiberglass long bow on the first day I ever hunted anything. I used a cedar arrow with turkey feather vanes and a Bodkin broadhead. That was sixty years ago. My next seventeen deer were shot with a homemade recurve bow. I got a Bear Polar2 back in the early 80s and got a few with that and then moved on to a lot of different compounds. Now days I use both compounds and a crossbow I got about five or six years ago. Total bow kill on deer is now around a hundred. My father got his last deer with a bow on my property on his 84th birthday. It was his 79th deer with a bow. Longest shot? It was 54 yards with a homemade recurve for a five point, and a couple of weeks ago I got a seven point at sixty-seven yards with my crossbow.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

I use a crossbow too in the form of a matrix 380 excalibur.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

here is a worthwhile video about real-world archery history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liHlCRpS70k

fascinating, eh?