Range Report: 1892 .44 mag

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ThrillHouse44
Levergunner

Range Report: 1892 .44 mag

Post by ThrillHouse44 »

Most of my research on getting started with lever guns and hand-loading for them has come from this site. There has been a lot of learning, trial and error to say the least. I will spare you all from my foibles, so here is some more information for the archives.

Winchester 1892
.44 Remington Magnum
24" barrel
Rear sight: Marble's Bullseye Long-blade
Everything else is factory

100yd 46F - no wind (standard NRA 25/50yd pistol target)

I figure these configurations are all the moving fast enough to reliably utilize the characteristics of the .44 mag on this platform. All rounds are in new Winchester cases with Remington large pistol primers, loaded with 2400.

225g Hornady FTX
Series shot: 18.5, 19.5, 20.5 & 21
Best: 19.5 was roughly 1.5 moa.

The 20.5 and the 21 were all HIGH and have no consistency left to right - buckshot in the upper 1/3 pie shaped. This might be because I did not trim the cases for the FTX. The dummy rounds were cycling okay (standby) but I had to sink the down so the crimp is barely on superior margin of the cannelure. I am not sure if this deep-seating, under these conditions would result this way.

However, too much finesse when cycling was required. Three times (of 20 rounds) I had to work the lever back a little to get the next round to lift out and chamber.

240g SWC(gc) Aardvark Enterprises - Poulsbo, WA
Series shot: 19, 20
Best: 20g roughly 1 moa

Again after some dumb moments and too many other attempts with these bullets I was pleased with this performance.

I think I will have to trim the cases if I want to use the FTX. That is a big if... I am not sure that with this setup monkeying around with cases and whatnot is all that necessary if the casts bullets are performing this way. It does beg the question about the FTX. I have heard that they are great but I am not sure if I want to move to a peep sight just to find out, at least not yet.

Let me know if there are any questions - replies maybe slow. Have a good Thanksgiving!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Range Report: 1892 .44 mag

Post by Ray Newman »

ThrillHouse: you posted you were shooting a Winchester 1892. Is the rifle a new Winchester 1892 (or clone) or an original production rifle bored out to .44 MAgnum?

Inquiring minds would like to know....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I really think those marbles bullseye sights are great.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I, too, have a goodly supply of Aardvark cast bullets in .430... great stuff.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
ThrillHouse44
Levergunner

Post by ThrillHouse44 »

It is a new Miroku with an octagon barrel. I think the series was manufactured in 2017.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have a B92 and that has put Win white box 240s in a clover leaf at 50 yds.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

ThrillHouse: a new Miroku -- well done! I've seen more than few originals 1892's rechambered to .44 Magnum and all -- except for one -- exhibited headspace issues.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.