Impromptu Shoot at Angeles Range in California November 23rd Pics added

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Impromptu Shoot at Angeles Range in California November 23rd Pics added

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hey all, short notice, was trying to find a good place to shoot. The Los Angeles range appears to be the last best place for us to shoot in L.A. county, I think to 600 yards IIRC.

Jim Williamson and myself will be there no matter what with our 71/84 Mausers and my 1942 Enfield to try out.

Anyone is welcome if they can attend and have some ammo! Thank you!

-Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Impromptu Shoot at Angeles Range in California November 23rd

Post by Grizz »

CowboyTutt wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:05 pm Hey all, short notice, was trying to find a good place to shoot. The Los Angeles range appears to be the last best place for us to shoot in L.A. county, I think to 600 yards IIRC.

Jim Williamson and myself will be there no matter what with our 71/84 Mausers and my 1942 Enfield to try out.

-Tutt
do you have a GPS-able address? I'd like to see where the range is. and . . . ,
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

CowboyTutt wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:55 pm Here Grizz!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Angel ... 18.3641228
Thanks Cowboy ! I'll be there in my imagination. Y'all have a great time and take great photos for the rest of us. And thanks.

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Thanks, but I'd have to start driving right now to make it (up I-75 then over on I-10). I do still need to regulate the last two leaves of my sight on the 450 Alaskan for 150 and 250yds. Some day.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

CowboyTutt wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:05 pm Hey all, short notice, was trying to find a good place to shoot. The Los Angeles range appears to be the last best place for us to shoot in L.A. county, I think to 600 yards IIRC.

-Tutt
Give my best to Jim. I've not shot one of those Mausers since I shot his back in '09 at Raton. At THINK that's the year I lobbed some lead from it at the Banana Rock. What a hoot of a rifle! Wish I could make it, but it's a bit far to drive right now.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Impromptu Shoot at Angeles Range in California November 23rd Pics added

Post by CowboyTutt »

OK, pics from the day as asked. First off, and for the first time in my life with Jim W, his back hurt too much to shoot from standing, which is totally out of character for the man. Secondly, I have also lost some of my off-hand shooting ability, so I also shot from a resting position from 200 to 400 yards with my Mauser and my Enfield. I have new shooting glasses that allow me to see the front sight on my Mauser, but it still makes it hard to see the long range target as to it's shape and size. But if you can't see the front sight anymore, the game is over I think. I guess I am aging out, but not giving up just yet.

Here are some great pictures of the day. It was sunny and warm, the climate down here is always amazing to me. And it was again today. Some noteworthy pics:

Jim spent the better part of the day teaching anyone available, including L.A. Shooting range staff, and our local bench rest buddy's, how to shoot a 71/84 Mauser with iron sights with the traditional 400 grain bullet and load using smokeless at 1400 fps. Here's a pic of him shooting aside our new friend David, who is quite the hoot!

David shooting my customized 45 caliber Sam Yang with a power tune from Will Piatt. It shoots a 200 grain HP bullet at about 800 fps, not too shabby for an airgun!

Lastly, me shooting my Savage made 1942 Enfield with my custom, slowed down, 215 grain load at 1600 fps in preparation until my heavy weight 249 grain bullet is ready.

-Tutt

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Some pics of my "ultra long range" shooting stem for the Enfield as I received it that same time. It's a Jim Kelly unit, cost me quite a lot!!! It's minimum range is probably 1200 yards with Randy Arnts spacer/adapter and was not suitable for that day's shoot. It will be appropriate for the Friend's of Billy Dixon range at 1538 and beyond and why I have paid so much for the upgrades!

Work in progress to be sure....

-Tutt

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Looks to have been a good day!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That new sight is pretty cool! Looking forward to see how it does with the new bullet and extended ranges.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"