Chronographing Today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Chronographing Today

Post by JimT »

Ran a bunch of various calibers and loads over the chronograph. The .22 Handloads was what I started out to check.

40 gr. cast FP 2.0 gr. Bullseye – 1424 fps
38 gr. cast HP 2.0 gr. Bullseye – 1489 fps

Ran some CCI Mini Mags for comparison - 1100 fps.

Played with the Ruger Bearcat Shopkeeper ... CCI Mini Mags = 1068 fps .. not bad for a 2 1/2 barrel.

Shot this group at 30 feet ... believe I have the sights cut to where I want them.
IMG_2789.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Re: Chronographing Today

Post by AmBraCol »

I assume that group is with the CCI's? Not shabby at all. Looks like you're set for some serious shootin'!
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

AmBraCol wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:21 pm I assume that group is with the CCI's? Not shabby at all. Looks like you're set for some serious shootin'!
Yes .. the Mini Mags. It's just durn hard to hold that gun still. It's so small and light. But it's a fun one to shoot!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

3500 rounds per pound of powder!How did the cases look afterwards?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

3leggedturtle wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:58 pm 3500 rounds per pound of powder!How did the cases look afterwards?
I believe if they were not steel cases they would have blown. With some the extraction was hard. A couple set back hard enough and tightened in the chamber enough that I had to manually help rotate the cylinder for the next shot. I don't believe brass cases would stand up to the pressure. For everyday use I will reduce the load to 1.9 or 1.8 gr. of Bullseye. That will only drop the velocity 50 fps or so and still be a heck of a .22 rimfire load.
Jared
Levergunner

Post by Jared »

Impressive velocity. Any plans to chronograph them out of a rifle?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Jared wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:11 am Impressive velocity. Any plans to chronograph them out of a rifle?
Not really. Not sure I have a .22 rifle that is strong enough. I figure those are at or above magnum pressures. Would beat up my blow-back semi-auto and I don't want to hurt the little Winchester.
Jared
Levergunner

Post by Jared »

I can understand that.

One year at the holiday I was shooting some Remington Golden bullets in a Marlin 39. Extraction was a little stiff, and when I finally looked at a fired case there was no firing pin indent because the pressure had pushed it back flat. That was a really hot batch of ammo. Most of it was shot up in my Single Six.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Jim, those speeds are as high as the hyper velocity stuff, im surprised by that. But I think you are right in being over pressure!
Now, how accurate is your scale? Reason I ask is it +/-.1 in a 22 case is a huge difference and could be dangerous (as any of us with half a brain knows). Beam or digital?
I'm still impressed with what you have developed. Keep the fresh data coming please.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:55 pm Jim, those speeds are as high as the hyper velocity stuff, im surprised by that. But I think you are right in being over pressure!
Now, how accurate is your scale? Reason I ask is it +/-.1 in a 22 case is a huge difference and could be dangerous (as any of us with half a brain knows). Beam or digital?
I'm still impressed with what you have developed. Keep the fresh data coming please.
I use both a beam scale and a digital one. Neither is more accurate than + or - .1 grain.
I would not load these loads in a brass cartridge.
And I will back these off. Set the scales .. load the ammo .. chronograph tells the true story.

But it is fun stuff. I don't worry about hurting the Single Six with these loads, tho I don't plan on going this hot again. I was looking for the upper end and sorta went past it. :oops:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Wonder what velocity that load would generate out of a long barrel of modern design, I know you won't try them out of yours, but I wonder...
Again good stuff you are sharing :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

You dont own a Contender Carbine? ! :o I could mail you a 22lr barrel to test them in if you did. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!