How do you make your chili?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

How do you make your chili?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jim's "Makin' meat" thread got me thinking about chili.
I kinda cheat with this one, using the Carroll Shelby spices, but I doubt anyone would argue with the results.
What's your recipe?

Best dang chili recipe

My late father-in-law Jim Neill and I worked this up based loosely on Emeril’s Chuck Wagon Chili recipe.

2 pounds lean chuck roast, cut into small cubes; elk is great for this too!
3 cups chopped yellow onion
2 TBSP canola or olive oil
1 pkg Carroll Shelby’s Chili Fixins Kit

Brown beef cubes in batches until done, remove, then sauté onions until tender.
Add browned beef back into the pot and sprinkle in the Shelby’s kit seasonings except for the masa harina. Stir to coat beef and onions, then add:

1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
12 ounces of Guinness Stout or other dark beer
1 ounce semi-sweet baker’s chocolate, chopped
1-2 TBSP molasses
1 or 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped. Warning – this is where the heat comes from and it is easy to overdo if you add much more.
½ teaspoon liquid smoke.

I let this simmer in a Dutch oven for about three hours, stirring occasionally. When it has thickened and the beef is tender, you can add the masa harina mixed with 1/3 cup water to thicken and further mellow the chili if you want. This is another recipe that is even better the second day, and it also freezes very well.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: How do you make your chili?

Post by jeepnik »

I’m not a chili maker. But I have strong opinions on what good chili is. Your recipe wins on several counts. The most important is that no beans were used.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I like to make up a batch of skillet chili using some sort of meat, onion, garlic, lots of chili powder, black beans, and whatever else occurs to me. Over cornbread or rice..Makes a couple of meals.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

I also cheat and use Williams chili mix. I use extra. 10 lbs meat and mix for 12-13 lbs of meat. Just gives it a stronger flavor. But I add lots of onion, garlic, pepper, crushed tomato's and a half to full bottle of hot ketchup. I usually make at least 10 lbs at a time. Oh, for flavor, I also add some dried habanero/ghost chili pepper powder. I just go by taste and adjust how much of things I put in the chili. Sometimes I like it hot and sometimes I make it HOT!!! I freeze it and like to let it "age" for a few months, seems to improve the flavor.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

My maternal Grandfather, Great Grandfather and one of my uncles all made a living from chili. Unfortunately the family recipe is lost.
Mom never made it because to her it was a two day project of mixing and grinding spices, chopping and cooking meat. and cooking beans.
I grew up eating brick chili from the grocery store.
Fortunately my Wife makes the best chili in the world.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I start by asking my wife if she thinks chili is a good idea? If she says yes, then I turn her loose, and just watch her get at it.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

My Dad made good venison chile and would have it ready for my arrival. The smell would hit ya opening the door. Never with beans, he did always add barley, a nice touch. He's been dead 10 years Christmas.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Always buy whole tomatoes. They are the least buggered. Paste is the old moldy ones. Crushed one step up.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Most tomatoes you buy these days are a pale imitation of what they once were. And by pale I mean just that and tasteless too boot.

Even ones you get from your own garden are usually hybridized poor relations.

If you look hard you can find plants that produce good fruit. A plant can live a long time if cared for.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

jeepnik wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:36 am Most tomatoes you buy these days are a pale imitation of what they once were. And by pale I mean just that and tasteless too boot.

Even ones you get from your own garden are usually hybridized poor relations.

If you look hard you can find plants that produce good fruit. A plant can live a long time if cared for.
We’ve got a serious Early blight problem here in the mountains of North Carolina. Old Brooks has been stellar for us. Just larger than a handball, very flavorful, perfect for sandwiches and sauces both.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

My favorite tomato when I lived in Oregon was the Brandywine. One slice would cover a whole piece of bread.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

marlinman93 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:56 pm I start by asking my wife if she thinks chili is a good idea? If she says yes, then I turn her loose, and just watch her get at it.
Same here.
I ask the pretty lady in the kitchen if she needs anything, go get if she does and then stay out of the way.

Works out quite well. :D

She made some killer chili out of the boar sausage I'd gotten after the last couple of hunts. Time to go get some more.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

2ndovc wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:30 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:56 pm I start by asking my wife if she thinks chili is a good idea? If she says yes, then I turn her loose, and just watch her get at it.
Same here.
I ask the pretty lady in the kitchen if she needs anything, go get if she does and then stay out of the way.

Works out quite well. :D

She made some killer chili out of the boar sausage I'd gotten after the last couple of hunts. Time to go get some more.

jb 8)
Coincidence that my lovely wife just made her killer chili just last weekend! She makes enough I can eat it for a few days before running out.
fatboy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by fatboy »

NO BEANS!!!!!
Bob
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

fatboy wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:52 am NO BEANS!!!!!
Bob
Without beans it's not chili.
It's topping for spaghetti red.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

i learned something very important from this thread: chili does not contain beans. what do you call cowboy cooking dutch oven recipes that DO contain beans???

Pati's (Mexican Restaurant) chili starts with beans, but what does she know?

I learned a lot about chili and found lots of recipes on the cowboy cooking websites, very interesting. i am grateful to destroy my ignorance, thanks all for the "straighten out and fly right" moment.

One thing I know is that I couldn't digest what y'all call chili. It'd destroy what's left of my stomach lining and then erode what's left of the rest of the GI tract. ( :!: :!: :!: :!: :roll: )

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:16 pm i learned something very important from this thread: chili does not contain beans. what do you call cowboy cooking dutch oven recipes that DO contain beans???

Pati's (Mexican Restaurant) chili starts with beans, but what does she know?

I learned a lot about chili and found lots of recipes on the cowboy cooking websites, very interesting. i am grateful to destroy my ignorance, thanks all for the "straighten out and fly right" moment.

One thing I know is that I couldn't digest what y'all call chili. It'd destroy what's left of my stomach lining and then erode what's left of the rest of the GI tract. ( :!: :!: :!: :!: :roll: )

Black beans are easy on the gut.
I've also made good stuff with barley and lentils....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

tnx. i forgot about lentils. been living out of cans with microwaved contents. :roll:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:43 pm tnx. i forgot about lentils. been living out of cans with microwaved contents. :roll:
It's an ok place to start if you doctor it up so you like it mo betta.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

hey, memories are what we have, it's good to see 'em. I like olives too, but can overdo them. I don't eat greens or vegies or much fruit. no salads, or rabbit food for me.

i could eat pretty fast too, when i had teeth
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I've got the crock pot running this morning with a batch of venison chili. No secrets, I use the McCormic's chili seasoning and I cook it in the crock pot for at least fouor hours. I'll make some cornbread later and that's what we will enjoy today.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

marlinman93 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:56 pmI start by asking my wife if she thinks chili is a good idea? If she says yes, then I turn her loose, and just watch her get at it.
I used to... now I have to fix it myself it I want it. Open a can of Wolf"s Brand Chili and add meat... heat it up and enjoy! Oh yeah, adding cheese and onion is necessary for good health. Mental health that is, otherwise you might as well add beans and gum up your innards! I'd have cornbread, but... I've never had any that meant the remembrances of my grandma's.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Griff wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:42 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:56 pmI start by asking my wife if she thinks chili is a good idea? If she says yes, then I turn her loose, and just watch her get at it.
I used to... now I have to fix it myself it I want it. Open a can of Wolf"s Brand Chili and add meat... heat it up and enjoy! Oh yeah, adding cheese and onion is necessary for good health. Mental health that is, otherwise you might as well add beans and gum up your innards! I'd have cornbread, but... I've never had any that meant the remembrances of my grandma's.
My wife does buy some great quality store bought chili at Costco. Don't recall the brand, but it's what I break out if she's not interested in cooking a pot, or if I've got a hankering for chili dogs!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

So many different ways to make chili. I prefer mine with beans but could skip them but would still want some veggies in them. My last batch was red kidney beans, 4 tubes of chorizo paste, beef stir fry cuts (its cheaper than hamburger if you can believe it here in Ukiah, Ca???), orange bell peppers, red onions, 5 habanero peppers course chopped with seeds left in, some chipotle chocolate and it turned out pretty darn good! I didn't add any tomato products to this one except maybe some catsup, surprised it worked out so well. I would serve it in my church no problem.

Today someone made chili at my high school and it was in the staff room. It had pitted black olives in it. I looked at it and had my doubts, but you could not really taste them and overall, it worked just fine. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

I've probably never made chili the same way twice, some pretty good, others not so much. My late ex-MIL who was an Arizona native, and whose family moved here from Texas not long after statehood, claimed (none too politely) that my chili wasn't chili at all, but some kind of bean soup. It almost hurt my feeling (yep, singular, just one).
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

It almost hurt my feeling (yep, singular, just one).
LOL, would agree, too many different ways to make it. I've been experimenting with it for decades and surprisingly, one of the best ones was using canned Mexican salsa style tomatoes in a quick chili! Never would have guessed that. V8 juice also a good base. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Tutt, come to your senses. You are sounding like a trend sucking dilettante. Dam mitt, no respecting chili head would say anything but No Beans, makes them real and tough, Duke like! Now you straighten up before you get here next week or you are going to get a good talking to, got it? :-)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

There are "bad words" in this so just FYI. It is hilarious though. Maybe it gets censored...like abbreviating "assistant" was automatically changed to "butt'd" 🙄

Notes from an inexperienced Chili taster named Frank, who was visiting Texas from the East Coast:

Recently I was honoured to be selected as an outstanding famous celebrity in Texas, to be a judge at a Chili cook-off, because no one else wanted to do it. Also the original person called in sick at the last moment, and I happened to be standing there at the judge's table asking for directions to the beer wagon when the call came. I was assured by the other two judges (Native Texans) that the chili wouldn't be all that spicy, and besides, they told me that I could have free beer during the tasting. So I accepted.

Here are the scorecards from the event:

CHILI # 1: MIKE'S MANIC MONSTER CHILI

JUDGE ONE: A little to heavy on tomato. Amusing kick.

JUDGE TWO: Nice, smooth tomato flavour. Very mild.

FRANK: Holy pelosi, what the hell is this stuff? You could remove dried paint from your driveway with this stuff. I needed two beers to put the flames out. Hope that's the worst one. Those Texans are crazy.

CHILI # 2: ARTHUR'S AFTERBURNER CHILI

JUDGE ONE: Smokey, with a hint of pork. Slight Jalapeno tang.

JUDGE TWO: Exciting BBQ flavour. Needs more peppers to be taken seriously.

FRANK: Keep this out of reach of children! I'm not sure what I am supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave of two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich manoeuvre. They had to walkie-talkie in three extra beers when they saw the look on my face.

CHILI # 3: FRED'S FAMOUS BURN DOWN THE BARN CHILI

JUDGE ONE: Excellent firehouse chili! Great kick. Needs more beans.

JUDGE TWO: A beanless chili. A bit salty. Good use of red peppers.

FRANK: Call the EPA, I've located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now. Barmaid pounded me on the back; now my backbone is in the front part of my chest. I'm getting pelosi-faced.

CHILI # 4: BUBBA'S BLACK MAGIC

JUDGE ONE: Black Bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing.

JUDGE TWO: Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or other mild foods. Not much of a chili.

FRANK: I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it. Sally, the barmaid, was standing behind me with fresh refills; that 300 lb bitch is starting to look HOT, just like this nuclear-waste I'm eating.

CHILI # 5: LINDA'S LEGAL LIP REMOVER

JUDGE ONE: Meaty, strong chili. Cayenne peppers freshly ground, adding considerable kick. Very impressive.

JUDGE TWO: Chili using shredded beef; could use more tomato. Must admit the cayenne peppers make a strong statement.

FRANK: My ears are ringing, and I can no linger focus my eyes. I farted and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chili had given me brain damage. Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly from a pitcher onto it. It really upsets me that the other judges asked me to stop screaming. Freakin' Rednecks! ! !

CHILI # 6: VERA'S VERY VEGETARIAN VARIETY

JUDGE ONE: Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good balance of spice and peppers.

JUDGE TWO: The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions and garlic.

FRANK: My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulphuric flames. No one seems inclined to stand behind me except that slut Sally. I need to wipe my butt with a snow cone!

CHILI # 7: SUSAN'S SCREAMING SENSATION CHILI

JUDGE ONE: A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers.

JUDGE TWO: Ho Hum. Tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chili peppers at the last moment. I should note that I am worried about Judge # 3.

FRANK: You could puta #)$^@#*&! Grenade in my mouth, pull the #)$^@#*&! pin, and I wouldn't feel a d@&$ thing. I've lost the sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chili, which slid unnoticed out of my X*$(@#^&$ mouth. My pants are full of lava-like pelosi, to match my X*$(@#^&$ shirt. At least the during the autopsy they'll know what killed me. I've decided to stop breathing, it's too painful. I'm not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I'll just suck it in through the four inch hole in my stomach.

CHILI # 8: HELEN'S MOUNT SAINT CHILI

JUDGE ONE: A perfect ending. This is a nice blend chili, safe for all; not too bold, but spicy enough to declare its existence.

JUDGE TWO: This final entry isa good balanced chili, neither mild now hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge # 3 passed out, fell and pulled the chili pot on top of himself. Not sure if he's going to make it. Poor Yank.

FRANK: - - - - - Mama?- - - (Editor's Note: Judge # 3 was unable to report).
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Old Savage wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:50 pm Tutt, come to your senses. You are sounding like a trend sucking dilettante. Dam mitt, no respecting chili head would say anything but No Beans, makes them real and tough, Duke like! Now you straighten up before you get here next week or you are going to get a good talking to, got it? :-)
OK Fred, I'm responding as per your personal request. I corrected your spelling of "dilettante" by the way. I have "no beans" in this fight, people can make it just how they want, and the over-all presentation, say over corn bread, would make a "no beans" configuration make a lot of sense actually!

I like some veggies in mine, all meat, would be a bit boring except when maybe served over something....

Regards,

-Tutt

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Don’t care for corn bread. … and veggies? Like what, broccoli chili? 🤓
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ray wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:23 am They do amazing things with cauliflower and brussel sprouts these days but, beans or no, at some point it ceases to be chile....
Using V-8 spicy veggie juice can add some benefit without the annoying chunks of veggies.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Will have to try V8 in chili, I use it in beef stew with great success.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

4t5 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:41 pm Will have to try V8 in chili, I use it in beef stew with great success.
Don't they have a "spicey" version up there? That would be one more angle to the bite in the chili.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

There is one called "spicy hot" not sure my store carries it, but thanks for the heads-up.
Rumble.com/ hickock45