1862 Colt Police Model by Uberti

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

1862 Colt Police Model by Uberti

Post by JimT »

The 1862 has a little bitty brass bead for a front sight and as I figured it would, it of course shoots high. (as I posted before) .. I like the looks of it and don't want to change it.
IMG_2771.JPG
I took the advice that was posted and cut the rear sight notch deeper.

BEFORE
IMG_2607.JPG
AFTER
IMG_2770.JPG
Using 20 gr. 3fg and shooting at the 15 yard 8" gong I put the bead to the bottom of the rear notch, then held 6 o'clock on the gong. All shots were on the gong. I have yet to put it on paper but to get get it "ON" at 50 feet I figure I may have to deepen the rear notch some.

I like this little gun. It just feels good!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ysabel Kid

Re: 1862 Colt Police Model by Uberti

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Jim, I love the 1862 Pocket Police. :D

I agree I wouldn't want to touch the front sight. Did you use a file on the hammer to cut the notch deeper? Looks nicely squared too!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Yes. I have a set of about 10 jeweler's files in various shapes and sizes. It's slow going but I did not want to take off too much ... and I enjoy doing that kind of thing.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That's what I call good ole redneck gunsmithing.....I never bothered to weigh my charges..I just fill with one of those modern brass powder thing-a-ma-jigs it to where it must allows the ball to be seated with a bit of compression......I don't know much about BP and just follow what the 45th Lyman manual recommends.

One thing for sure, like yours, mine shoots a bit high, not too bad......like aiming at the bottom of the beer can at 15 yards or so. It's a good one, nice and tight, shiny bore....the serial number puts it at after the last known 1862 .......made in 1873..rare to find one this late that wasn't converted to the anemic 38 whatever-cartridge-they-used.

I keep saying that I'm gonna shoot it soon as it's been loaded for a year or two
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I like the original Sixgun .. for the history and nostalgia. I like the copy for playing.

For the powder charge I found a powder scoop my Dad had made that filled the cylinder with black powder to where the ball would seat just below flush. I weighed it to see and it throws 20 gr. of 3Fg. Max capacity is 21 on this gun but I am satisfied with 20. :D

I made a stand to load the cylinder. For my fat fingers it is cleaner loading (I don't spill as much) rather than doing it in the gun.
1862loading.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I had a Pietta copy but it didn't shoot that well, nice looking revolver but it had to go.. :( I bought a Uberti .31 Colt pocket model instead... :P

Nice neat job on the rear sight Jim...... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

gamekeeper wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:07 am I had a Pietta copy but it didn't shoot that well, nice looking revolver but it had to go.. :( I bought a Uberti .31 Colt pocket model instead... :P

Nice neat job on the rear sight Jim...... 8)
Thanks.

I have an Italian-made copy of the 1849 Baby Dragoon .31 that was my father-in-laws. No one wanted it when he passed so I inherited it. Fun little gun to shoot. Quite accurate from barstool to barstool. :lol:
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

JimT wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:12 am Quite accurate from barstool to barstool. :lol:
Exactly what it was designed for.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I've got two of 'em in the Colt 2nd generation black boxes. I've shot one of them but the other is still a virgin. I'm fixin' up a box for the two of 'em. Prettiest guns ever made but just a tad small.
Held on the black square at about 15 yards if I remember correctly. I really like 'em and would get 'em out and shoot 'em tomorrow but I'm already in gun show mode for the Wanamacher starting Friday. Maybe I'll shoot 'em just to settle myself down a little.
I'm not going to file the sight notches on them though.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS