S&W 4006 CHP issue/ Range Report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

S&W 4006 CHP issue/ Range Report

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks to those of you that shared your experiences with the S&W 4006, other models and the .40S&W in general.
Century Arms bought up the majority of the CHP pistols some time ago and there are quite a few on gunbroker along with spare magazines, grips and a few issue holsters.
Mainly wanted an auto loader to go with my .40/10mm Blackhawk and this one caught my attention.

11-8-2021 @ 9:30am;

Got out this morning, taking advantage of the weather. Not going to have many more days like this.

The S&W functioned perfectly with everything I ran through it this morning. Winchester 180s produced the best results, though it shot surprisingly well with the 155 gr LSWC light loads I'd made for the Ruger which it did not like. Looks like the Blackhawk likes the heavier 180 gr bullet. Starting load for that was 5 gr of Bullseye. Going to load a few more with a little heavier charge and see if there's much of a difference.
Both pistols are just darned fun to shoot and with how much they weigh, recoil is not much more than a 9mm in a lighter pistol ( to me anyway).
Picture is a little grainy, really bright out this morning. Won't last long, the gloomy days of November will be here soon.

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Re: S&W 4006 CHP issue

Post by horsesoldier03 »

.40 S&W is a great caliber and yes the 4006 was specifically designed for it. I don't think you could ever go wrong buying a S&W. Definitely a nice pair of pistols you got there!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Wow didnt realize how well built and durable these are. Had to watch Sootch00 and Hickok45 reviews on these. They weigh 40.5oz, does it balance nice in hand?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That's interesting, didn't know that it was designed specifically for the .40 S&W, Makes sense though, seems to fit it perfectly.

It's a big chunk of stainless for sure. With a loaded magazine, it's balanced quite well. I thought it was kind of funny how many times Hickok mentioned how heavy it is, but it sure seemed to run nicely.

I've been able to put together quite a bit of different factory ammo since I started shooting the Blackhawk more. Had some time this morning to load some cast 155 and 180 grain bullets. I bought a few 140 gr RN just for kicks, but the el cheapo grande Lee dies just mangled the bullet. I need a set of Dillon's anyway. but Lees will do until they catch up with the demand.

jb 8)

horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

2ndovc wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:20 pm That's interesting, didn't know that it was designed specifically for the .40 S&W, Makes sense though, seems to fit it perfectly.
A few months back is when I read the article. I will try to find it again and I will send it if I do. Pretty sure it was on the S&W forum.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: S&W 4006 CHP issue/ Range Report

Post by 2ndovc »

Update in OP.

jb :D

horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Here is an article by Chuck Hawks that talks about the 4006 and the .40 S&W being released at the same time. When the gun first came out, it was pushing 180 gr at approx. 1200 FPS. Sounds like it will definitely handle +P ammo.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/s-w_4006.htm
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Good read, thanks for putting up the link!
Spare magazines should be here tomorrow and I found an old Hunter duty style holster that came with something I'd bought that fits perfectly. Needs a new set of Trijicons, but other that I like this pistol quite a bit.

jb 8)