Win Mod 12 safety question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Smoke12
Levergunner

Win Mod 12 safety question

Post by Smoke12 »

Totally off topic for this forum but.....

Trying to replace the rt hand safety with a lefty on a 1937 Win Model 12 shotgun; there's hole clear through the safety near the "red" mark and no other visible holes; is this used to rotate the safety pin so it can be pushed out? Seems extremely stiff to rotate so I haven't tried "real" hard. Any help is appreciated!! Thank you
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Win Mod 12 safety question

Post by GunnyMack »

Smoke if I remember correctly you have to remove the safety, spring & the retainer pin. Then drill the other side so it mirrors the factory then you have to reinstall the safety in the opposite side. Now im working from memory from 30 years ago so don't hold me to that( might be for the Ithaca 37 or 870 )
MIGHT BE A BALL DETENT ALSO- careful not to loose it!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Smoke12
Levergunner

Post by Smoke12 »

Thanks Gunny; if I understand you I don't need to use the old safety, I've got a left hand oversized head safety to put in there but I can't figure out how to get the original safety out.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Smoke ,if You can't figure it out You can always join Shotgunworld.com . they have a forum for every type of Shot Gun and a Gunsmithing section as well. some one there will sure have the answer.
Smoke12
Levergunner

Post by Smoke12 »

Thanks 45; did that also just yesterday, seems like another good site. I received one response there this AM so will work through that. Gracios
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 308magtip »

Gunny
I gave my son my 37 with a deerslayer barrell.He is a lefty. The 37 had a conversion kit to change from righjt to left.I had my gunsmith change it.No drilling just remove rt side and install left side.They are not interchangeable sort of like tail lights on new pickups now days
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Like I said, theory on that was in '91 or '92- lots of other useless things in my brain since then! I suppose if I had to I could dig up my notes from repair class... :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!