Any arborists on board?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Any arborists on board?

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Didn't want to tag this onto Scott's call out to plumbers. Like Scott though, I know there is a wealth of expertise here on the forum! :D :D

I have a river birch with three trunks in the front yard, pretty darn close to the house. Too close; we had to have one of the trunks cut at the base as it was threatening the house. The other trunks are fine. Should I seal the trunk we had to cut? I am worried about it rotting, and since it is connected underground (one common plant), killing the two good trunks/the whole tree.

Thanks fellas!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Any arborists on board?

Post by gamekeeper »

Jay, when I used to do a lot of branch trimming I always put Stockholm Tar on the cut to stop infection. Nowadays that advice is frowned upon and some arborists say leave cuts alone to heal naturally.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Heard it both ways, but now it seems it's recommended to leave it alone, as long as it's a clean cut, probably won't hurt to coat it, but I'm not a tree guy...
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

No harm in applying a "seal" of tree kote or similar product. It will determine or prevent invasive insects. I have several River Birch myself and haven't treated any stubs when pruning.
Not sure this helped :roll:
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

I have several friends who are professional foresters and they say that the application of a sealant can't hurt any and it usually makes the property owner feel better.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gamekeeper wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:50 am Jay, when I used to do a lot of branch trimming I always put Stockholm Tar on the cut to stop infection. Nowadays that advice is frowned upon and some arborists say leave cuts alone to heal naturally.
That's what I always used to do too... and then heard the same advice. This was a major trunk, over 12 inches across, and now cut to ground level. I'm going to go with a sealer just to prevent rot and insect damage. I doubt something that big would heal over! :wink:

Thanks fellas!