Zombie thread: Loading 45 Colt based on Paco's writings

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bruce in WV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bruce in WV »

I'm loading some 45 Colt with 250gr Acme Hi-Tek coated RNFP bullets and H-110 for a modern Marlin 1894 CBC Ltd lever gun at a max of 100yds. This ammo will also be used in a 4" Ruger Redhawk with Uncle Mike rubber grips, max 25yds
I want a does-everything load, from problem black bears and lots of deer in the rifle to self defense for mostly 2-legged predators using the pistol. Paco's load listed for a 260gr Keith will be my max, and may be more powerful than I need.
I'd appreciate comments, suggestions, and recommendations from folks with personal experience with these H-110 loads.
Thank you.
Last edited by Bruce in WV on Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Loading 45 Colt based on Paco's writings

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I don't push the cartridge as hard as Paco writes about because I'm at the point that I do not enjoy the recoil anymore.

However, I think that bullet over 8-9 gr of Unique would be just right.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:35 amI don't push the cartridge as hard as Paco writes about because I'm at the point that I do not enjoy the recoil anymore.
However, I think that bullet over 8-9 gr of Unique would be just right.
Amen. I'm reminded of a feller I arrested for a double homicide... he told me on the way to jail... "I didn't know that forty-four magnum would go right thru that first n...... AND the one behind him!" In his defense, the 1st one was holding a knife to his wife's throat... just wasn't smart enough to be behind her!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bruce in WV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bruce in WV »

Dropped the powder charge 10% from the MAX and shot some test rounds. First 3 in one overlapping group at 50 yds (the only range available today). Recoil in the rifle is like my sxs 10ga goose gun, so OK but don't want to shoot a lot in one session.
Recoil/blast in the Redhawk was a fun-house ride, but OK for a few cylinders. Long term use decision still pending.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

If it makes you happy, go for it!

I used to shoot a .45-70 Marlin with a heavy cast bullet and a jigger full of RL7. That load was very accurate but beat me up quite a bit.

I then went to a Sharps in .45-70 shooting a heavy cast bullet over black powder. I found that even though my velocity dropped a bunch, I had no problem killing anything I shot with it.

The point is that if you enjoy or don't mind the recoil, you can get a flatter trajectory and high velocity loads can be as accurate as milder loads. But I am finding that my favorite .45 Colt load is 8.5 gr of Unique under a 270 SAA bullet and it is a pussycat to shoot, but will kill way out of proportion to the numbers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I used to love the heavy 300 gr. loads in the .45 Colt. But no more. I found that 6 gr. of 700X and the 250 gr. RNFP cast bullet are pleasant to shoot and plenty accurate. And will do whatever I want the .45 Colt to do these days.
IMG_0413.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bruce in WV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bruce in WV »

Never ignore good advice from the experts when you request and receive it!
Loaded a box of "Paco" level H-110 cartridges for the rare bear problem, and all the rest at general purpose Unique levels.
Thank you, gentlemen, for your help.

Of course, now I've got almost 2# of H-110 I have no use for....
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Bruce in WV wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:55 am Never ignore good advice from the experts when you request and receive it!
Loaded a box of "Paco" level H-110 cartridges for the rare bear problem, and all the rest at general purpose Unique levels.
Thank you, gentlemen, for your help.

Of course, now I've got almost 2# of H-110 I have no use for....
Give it time, something will occur to you. :D
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Yeah, I don't think it goes bad and you will find a use for it.
Bruce in WV
Levergunner 1.0

Aftermath for the OP

Post by Bruce in WV »

I'm an older fella, and I think those 10 moderately heavy loads I tested a month ago may have done some damage to my shoulder joint. I'm not the weepy type, but it aches pretty bad sometimes. I'll tell my chiropractor next visit to see what he can do.
I've given up heavier reloads, but I'm not ready to stop shooting moderate rifle loads. I'm looking for suggestions from others who have "been-there-done-that" to aid in recovery.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

I messed up my shoulder in a motorcycle wreck during my first mid-life crisis, 16-17 years ago. Chiropractic and a massage therapist restored full range of motion, but I still couldn't tolerate any recoil for a couple years. I switched to a .280 from an '06 for my hunting for a while, and use a PACT pad for any extended shooting. Still see the massage therapist on an almost monthly basis. Last range session I brought a 45-70 with a Decelerator recoil pad and fired a handful of low-end Level 2 loads with no issue. It's not 100% but it works, mostly.
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

Partially torn rotator cuff this summer. I did Physical Therapy with Dry Needle Electrical Stimulation, it worked and I'm happy I avoided any type of surgery. The exercises the Therapist gave me were good and gym work 2x a week with a Trainer/Therapist really helped.

I really pad up when I shoot heavy recoiling rifles. I do shoot some of Paco's loads in a 45 Colt---I pack the carbine for grizzly bear protection---really like it, it's much better than a pistol for me accuracy wise and always in my hand or in a scabbard if I'm riding. I could not shoot loads like these with the same result out of a pistol.

I have shot a couple of Whitetails with the loads and also blown the heads off of several grouse and rabbits with them, so they are workable for that. I'm convinced they have plenty of power/penetration to deal with a bear encounter.
Bruce in WV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bruce in WV »

Shoulder has healed and loving the plinking loads of 7.5gr Unique and the Acme RNFP coated bullet. This rifle is a joy to shoot!

This is a JM 1894 Cowboy Competition Limited Edition in 45 Colt. A working gun, set up for hunting. Rhodesian sling, Holosun 508T-GR, neutered the safety, and exchanged Hi-Viz fiber green optic sights for the factory irons. Beautiful gun, built and tuned by the best technicians at the factory in the early 2000's, recently re-tuned the tube when the OEM plastic follower cracked, wouldn't move properly in the tube, and it stopped accepting more than 3 cartridges.

I settled on the 45 Colt 225 FTX LEVERevolution load for deer hunting on my neighbors farm. Reloading for it took a while to figure out, but doing fine now using rifle data from the Hornady app. Its a very comfortable load, designed for max expansion at less than 1,000fps. I only have about 50 factory cases, and trimming longer cases to proper length is laborious! I'm going to put an ad in the classified looking for more cases if any of you have some of these cases sitting around that you can sell me or trade with me.

Stay safe, be well, shoot straight!
Last edited by Bruce in WV on Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Re: Zombie thread: Loading 45 Colt based on Paco's writings

Post by Walt »

With H110, just remember to never load below the published minimum and always use a magnum primer. A standard primer does some funny things to the powder; it ends up looking almost like a solid lump of powder, sometimes leaves the bullet halfway down the barrel and unignited powder everywhere when you extract the case.

For a fun load in .45 Colt with a 250 gr cast bullet I use 6.2 gr of Titegroup, which is a powder insensitive to position in the large capacity case, it is very economical and it shoots accurately in all my guns. Also remember that heavy bullets with a large meplat are frequently found to penetrate more deeply at 1100 to 1200 fps than bullets going at 1500+ fps.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Tutt gave me some 1350 fps 45 Colt with 350 gr bullets. Feels like a shotgun in my Rossi 92. But, a 255 at about 1100 will likely do.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That's a plenty hairy load for a 92, Old Savage. That's Trapdoor Springfield territory. 8)
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Hey, Bruce in WV,

Speaking of your 4" Redhawk in .45 Colt, I had the same gun, also with rubber grips. I eventually gave it to my son but I used to load 300 gr cast bullets with 21.5 gr of H110 moving along at 1100 fps. It was not a recreational load by any means and he once shot through 2 pigs with one shot. I thought he would use it strictly for pigs but he moved on to other guns, rifles mostly and then rifles with night vision.

John Linebaugh's do-all load in .45 Colt is 8.5 gr of 231 behind a 250 gr bullet. He recommends it for big game hunting as well as potential serious social encounters.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I still occasionally shoot heavy loads in my Blackhawk, but it has the .45 ACP extra cylinder, and that makes for a lot more pleasant time at the range anymore. My freight train load is a 325 grain wide flat nose bullet over enough L'iL Gun to get an average of 980 fps at 10 feet from the muzzle. I have never recovered any of the bullets. I did use more powder for a while, but results were not any better.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

This is out of a S&W 625 .45 Colt ..
IMG_0413.JPG
It's a nice load you can spend the day shooting without beating your hand and wrist to death and will work for most of what you need to do with the sixgun.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Ive loaded up quite a few that are between standard and "Paco Levels". They are pleasant to shoot and knock the stuffing out of anything they hit
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Mighty fine shooting with that Smith .45 Colt, JimT!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Walt wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:22 pm Mighty fine shooting with that Smith .45 Colt, JimT!
Thanks but the gun gets more credit than I. It's an easy gun to shoot well.
IMG_0385.JPG
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Beautiful revolver, JimT, and another Shootists gun as well. You've got to be proud of that!

I once had a similar Smith in .45 Colt, a model 625-7, model of 1989 that I bought shortly after they came out. An acquaintence begged and pleaded with me for years and I finally sold it to him about 25 years ago. Realizing the error of my ways I tried to buy it back at twice the price but he turned me down. Lesson learned....never sell any guns. I have .45 Colts in Smith, Ruger, Freedom Arms and Colt now but still miss that gun.
JMick
Levergunner

Post by JMick »

What bullet diameter for the 270 SAA .45LC to use in A .94 Win. Trapper and the large frame Blackhawk would you order from Montana Bullet Works?
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

My suggestion would be to take a soft lead bullet or round ball and slug the barrel, then order a sizer die that's .001" over the groove diameter. Good luck.
JMick
Levergunner

Post by JMick »

Thanks Walt! I'll give that a try