John Wayne 45 colt ammo - shoot or sell?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

John Wayne 45 colt ammo - shoot or sell?

Post by FLINT »

Hi all,

I was driving through the country this week and happened to stop into a little old mom and pop store to get something to drink. I noticed a back room with some fishing supplies so I asked the lady what was in the back room, she said hunting and fishing supplies. So I walked back there and was totally taken aback when I saw a big rack of guns and a surprising amount of ammo, etc. Some of their ammo looked like it had been there for a good while, like many boxes of 250 savage, 25-35 winchester even some 25-20 ammo,etc. (and one super old box of 284 win!).

I thought I really should get some ammo, and decided I needed some 45colt. they had three options in boxes of 50. two were 225 grain and one was 250 grain, and all had similar prices (ish) so I went with the 250 grain ammo. I didn't really pay much attention to the box. I noticed it looked like some kind of commemerative box, but seeemed to remember seeing those boxes around and didn't think much of it.

When I got home I thought I'd look up the ammo on midway to see how the price compared and to see what the velocity was of this particular round. Midway didn't seem to have this ammo listed so I went to gun broker to find the asking price was crazy high for this john wayne ammo! (and I know the asking prices aren't always in the same neighborhood as the prices people actually will pay for them, but still, it at least means that they aren't probably going for the standard off the shelves prices).

Then I looked around and saw that this ammo was probably made in 2007 which was a lot longer ago than I remembered - time flies!

anyways, I'm wondering now if I should actually shoot this ammo or sell it to someone who wants it more than me and then buy something more 'regular' to shoot. Let me know what you think.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Re: John Wayne 45 colt ammo - shoot or sell?

Post by jkbrea »

Sell it and buy 2-3 boxes of .45! Lots of people buy the John Wayne commemoratives for display and like to display the boxes of ammo with it. Heck...even the empty boxes are for sale.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Go back and buy the 25-20, all of it. I'll pay the shipping ! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

I won't be back up there for a while as it's 5 1/2 hours away from where I live! otherwise I'd go buy the rest of the John Wayne 45 colt and all the John Wayne 30-30 ammo they had!!

The store is in NW PA, so if anyone lives around there I'd be happy to let them know where it is.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:36 pmGo back and buy the 25-20, all of it. I'll pay the shipping ! :D
That's a bargain, he buys the ammo and you pay the shipping to you... :P :twisted: :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Griff wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:05 pm
GunnyMack wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:36 pmGo back and buy the 25-20, all of it. I'll pay the shipping ! :D
That's a bargain, he buys the ammo and you pay the shipping to you... :P :twisted: :D
D'oh! No thats not what I meant Griff, while I was typing that my phone rang and the pizza guy showed up all at once!!
To clarify ill pay for the ammo AND the shipping!!! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!