Why the lack of pistol caliber pump guns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Why the lack of pistol caliber pump guns

Post by 4t5 »

I was think'n of a small frame in 357 sig would be kinda cool.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Why the lack of pistol caliber pump guns

Post by Tycer »

I sure like my model 25 Remington
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Its been tried. But it doesn't seem to be commercially viable.

Thats kind of interesing becasue pump action .22s have been quite popular as have pump big game rifles.

I still use a pump shotgun for protecting my home.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

I know the s&w governor can shoot both .410 and 45 colt, could a .410 pump get a rifled barrel and shoot 45 colts?
Can't be that easy right?
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Ray wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:30 pm I always wanted one or two or three of these.....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMI_Timber_Wolf
I've been on the verge of buying one of those so many times, but it just never came through.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I realize this isn't what you had in mind, but a Henry .22 magnum pump has it all over a .38 special. The .22 mag is usually thought of in terms of a handgun, but in a rifle it becomes a whole 'nother animal..
With my Single Six and the mag cyl and that Henry it would be a good walkin' around shooter pair.
Lest you think I'm just speculating, I've had a 9422M for about 20 years....it's awesome.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

i have a henry pump action in .22 magnum
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I was b.s. with a Remington rep one time and was asking him about the reintroduction of the model 25, which came in 25-20 or 32-20. They also had a 14 and 1/2 that was available in 38-40 and 44-40.....I've had them all and shot them extensively ....still have a like new 25 in 25-20 and Colt Lightnings in all three calibers....he told me a model 25 or 14 and 1/2 ...or for that matter, the model 14 or 141 would have to retail at $3,000 if it was made the same way.

These guns are forged and take a lot of machining to make....many intricate parts, unlike the modern stuff where they get an aluminum or investment cast receiver, stick a trigger group in there, a bolt, a few springs and call it a well made gun...

I hear replica Lightnings are being made...I never handled one and have only seen pictures...they seem to look nice but like other replica guns that are made, there are plenty of feeding issues...don't know personally..only read that.

A gun manufacturer just cannot slap investment cast parts into a gun and expect it to work....it takes real steel parts and having them hand fitted in order for them to be dependable.

What I can say is I can't remember any feeding issues from any of my 3 Colt Lightnings (I've owned even more in the past) or any of the Remington's that are attributed to the gun. Keep in mind I don't shoot a box of ammo and call that a test...I'm talking many thousands of rounds. One Colt Lightning in 38-40 has (don't have my log handy) about 4,000 rounds and who knows how much more in its 132 year old history. The one in 32-20 was my main cowboy action rifle for quite some time and the 38-40 was use daily in pistol caliber silhouette, when allowed informally.

What this all boils down to is demand and price.....companies are not going to tool up and then only get 1,000 people to buy the gun....IF THE GUN IS MADE TO QUALITY STANDARDS like the originals were......same as with the Leverguns......many internal parts are cast ...hence, their well known unreliability.

From the bottom...25 in 25-20....14 in 35 rem. and at the top a 141 in 35 rem.

Three Colts on the right...32-20, 44-40, and a 38-40
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Sixgun wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:13 pm I hear replica Lightnings are being made...I never handled one and have only seen pictures...they seem to look nice but like other replica guns that are made, there are plenty of feeding issues...don't know personally..only read that.
Yes, Uberti still catalogs them in 357, 44-40, and 45 Colt. I've heard the same about feeding, but some guys get a lucky one. Pedersoli has discontinued theirs.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jack Kort took these pics up at the Ridgeway Rifle Club during one of our matches....here I was using a 38-40 Colt with BP......Gary Sweitzer (our own Cimmaron Red) was spotting for me...IIRC, I shot a 26 x 40.

As it's well known I like to make fun of people, I would not Gary forget about that stupid hat he was wearing that weekend...hope he sees this.

Jack Korts handiwork and photo

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Six, I''m glad to see you back here! -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Tutt,
Thanks...I didn't know I left. :D ....sometimes it gets mentally draining dealing with the negatives and I have been here a long time.....maybe too long.....as Huey Lewis says, "I need a new drug"----00

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

LOL, you are too, too funny! -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

It's a public forum. At the end of the day, since anyone and everyone is reading our posts, we need to get along. I think everyone is reminded of that fact. We have to get along, come Hell or Highwater!

You already know I am your Brother and friend. See ya soon.

Sincerely,

-Tutt

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Yum I say to that set of Lightnings.

Some day I'll find a 32-20 in good shape. Apparently much of the good stuff never crosses below the Mason-Dixon line. All of these retirees seem to sell their good stuff BEFORE they move to Florida instead of bringing it with them. Much of it seems to end up in Jack's hands ... as evidenced by his ability to post a recent photo he's taken of just about any gun that's ever been discussed here on the forum.

How does the UZI get categorized with the classic pumps is the question.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Ray wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:30 pm I always wanted one or two or three of these.....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMI_Timber_Wolf
bought a timberwolf many years ago, a .357....cheap at the time... but they are sure pricey now. i like it but i like the marlin model 27 in 25/20 and 32/20 and the remington model 25 in 32/30 and one in 25/20 more. these are very small guns, almost like a .22 pump but with a lot of wallop. in fact the remington model 25 carbine in 32/30 is smaller than many .22 pumps and it is my favorite.
cable