For the younger shooters

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

For the younger shooters

Post by JimT »

I am passing on a lesson that I was taught more than 60 years ago. It has helped me in sticky situations and made me a better handgun shot. The lesson is this:

PRACTICE SLOW.

I never practiced rapid fire shooting. I always practiced slow. By practicing slowly the proper hold, trigger squeeze, sight alignment .. the proper move to thumb the hammer back on a single action sixgun .. when the time came for rapid work it was embedded in the "computer" .. in my brain cells and muscle memory.

I never practiced fast draw. I practiced slow draw. Proper grip. Finger off the trigger. Smooth lift and alignment. Proper letoff. When I needed to draw fast it was there.

An old timer said "Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast. Fast is deadly when needed."

Whether you shoot leverguns or bolt guns, semi-auto handguns or double or single action revolvers .. PRACTICE SLOW. Practice the same moves over and over. In a crisis you will perform those same moves without even thinking about it and remembering back, at times you will have difficulty remembering doing them.
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Re: For the younger shooters

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

I don't like to give my wife advice on shooting. So she takes classes. The single biggest issue I see with 99% of the classes she takes, is that they teach how to shoot fast, but not correctly. They rarely if ever spend time on trigger control, trigger break, follow through or any fundamentals. Granted these are pistol classes mainly geared around self defense, but hitting what a person shoots at is important.

By the way, are there any "Younger Shooters" on this forum. Seems like most of us are a bit past our prime, for a better term.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

ywaltzucanrknrl wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:35 am I don't like to give my wife advice on shooting. So she takes classes. The single biggest issue I see with 99% of the classes she takes, is that they teach how to shoot fast, but not correctly. They rarely if ever spend time on trigger control, trigger break, follow through or any fundamentals. Granted these are pistol classes mainly geared around self defense, but hitting what a person shoots at is important.
I would not mess with self-defense training that focuses on speed. As you said, the fundamentals are what is needed. Miss those and in a critical situation the target will be missed. Even at arm's length.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I tend to do everything slow, nowadays slow comes even easier... :wink:

Good advice Jim, walk before you can run as served me well even if I have been left behind a few times but I'm still here.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

gamekeeper wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:03 am I tend to do everything slow, nowadays slow comes even easier... :wink:

Good advice Jim, walk before you can run as served me well even if I have been left behind a few times but I'm still here.
Slow and steady, beats,, fast and erratic..
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

"Past our prime?" ...I prefer well versed and highly seasoned.
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

Octagon, I like your terminology better, much better.

Yes, good advice JimT.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

octagon wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:25 am "Past our prime?" ...I prefer well versed and highly seasoned.
I'll second that!
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

I'm work'n my way toward "freezer burnt".
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I still do a lot of training "by the numbers" particularly when I am going to be shooting or carrying a 1911 or headed back to Gunsite.

I shoot one shot from the holster at 25 yards at a relatively small round plate. The drill seems simple, but I never hurry it. Speed comes with smooth and accurate gun handling.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:25 am I still do a lot of training "by the numbers" particularly when I am going to be shooting or carrying a 1911 or headed back to Gunsite.

I shoot one shot from the holster at 25 yards at a relatively small round plate. The drill seems simple, but I never hurry it. Speed comes with smooth and accurate gun handling.
I found if I practiced the proper movements slow and carefully when the time came for speed it was smooth and had no conscious thought behind it. Walking in the desert one day I went to step down with my right foot and saw a rattler coiled up where I was about to put my foot. Somehow I levitated off my left leg and while in the air pulled the .22 Single Six and shot him in the head. I fired 3 shots and it seemed like I fired all 3 while still in the air, though that seems unlikely. All 3 hit him, which is what counted. I do not recall deciding to pull the pistol. It was pure reaction. But practicing proper grip etc. paid off.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I was hunting with Bill Bagwell out on the Train Robber Ranch a few years back. We were way out in the middle of nowhere, but I had put a little corn on the road as there isn't much to eat out there. Bill shot a buck and lost it in some brush, so when I came up we started looking. That buck broke from the brush right in front of us and I pulled an old model Vaquero 4 5/8 from the holster and centered him on the run at about 10 steps. I don't recall reaching for the gun, or even seeing the sights, but I must have. It sure made me look good when I plugged that buck with a 255 gr Keith. (And I had the good sense to put it away and shut up about it.)
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Excellent advice Jim. This especially help with today's ammo and component prices. It is a very effective method I use myself.

What's the old saying.......?
"You can't miss fast enough to win."
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.