Good Week of Hunting (so far)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Good Week of Hunting (so far)

Post by jkbrea »

Connected with a speed goat on Monday morning out in Daniel, Wy. I used a Ruger PR in 6.5 Creedmoor. A friend loaded up some 147 gr. eld x for me. One shot at 425 yards. Didn't move a yard. I took a friend and just a couple min. before I shot, he shot a cow elk that was out there! He was setting up on an antelope and this cow elk came running in. Never seen elk in that terrain or area.
Then yesterday I went out last minute outside Jackson to hunt elk. I got caught up in a snow flurry and was going to head back to my truck but it cleared up so I hiked up about a hundred yards to a ridge and right into a herd of elk. I had a general tag and cow tag but passed on a bull. It was a 4 or 5x5. I shot a big cow instead. I used a Tikka 30-06. I called my friend and he came out to help. We got her quartered and out by 10pm. Best part is...I still have a tag left!
20211026_175856.jpg
20211026_182615.jpg
20211025_121423.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Good Week of Hunting (so far)

Post by GunnyMack »

Mmmmm, elk!
Nice shooting too!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Looks like a great hunt, where did you hit em, can't tell?
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

good harvesting and great winter provisions. thanks for posting.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

octagon wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:28 pm Looks like a great hunt, where did you hit em, can't tell?
Shot the antelope through the left shoulder with 147 grain Eld x in 6.5 Creedmoor. Didn't exit and he didn't take a step. I flipped it over to take the pic. It shattered the shoulder.
I hit the cow a little high on the left side offhand at about 200 yards. About 10" left of the barrel in the picture. She went about 30 yards and dropped. It did exit. I used factory Hornady 178 gr Hunter Precision .. I've used that round on at least 8 elk. Works great and extremely accurate. I got 3" groups at 600 yards benchresting! And $20 a box cheaper than I was paying for Nosler Trophy Grade 180 gr.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Great post and with photos... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Thanks for the info, great pics by the way.