This is why I always carried big guns on duty

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

This is why I always carried big guns on duty

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

This fellow was in Chicago the same time I was in Houston.

It’s worth a listen.

https://youtu.be/KXYLTAJCRpo
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: This is why I always carried big guns on duty

Post by CowboyTutt »

Scott, I didn't watch all of it yet, but your right, quite remarkable stories. His mindset reminds me of Col. Jeff Cooper. Its amazing that the criminal in the first shoot out could still fight after so much internal damage. :o -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I had the misfortune to have to put 7 rounds of that hot Norma 10mm ammo to use one night (and the first round traversed his heart). But he was able to move quite some distance before it was over. However, I have seen some folks go down immediately with a hit that would not be considered lethal.

Its not like the movies. When someone gets worked up either on their own chemicals or if they induce other chemicals into their body, you cannot predict what might happen.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I had to verify my age before I could hear that interview :shock: glad I did it was interesting to hear real life experiences.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Scott, I'm sorry you had to go through that. "Full house" 10 mm loads are one of my favorites and I have a very nice Kimber Eclipse 1911 in that chambering. Loaded as was originally designed, it should do the job that Col Cooper intended it to do. Lots of power in a compact cartridge that allows more in the magazine. That being said, no one wants to take another man's life, except to go home to his wife and family.

My Special Education Director's husband was a police officer in Willits, CA for many years. He once told me the same sentiment about his determination to go home to his wife and kids. He is one of my true hero's. His first name is Curtis. He now has a better paying job and one not so risky. I am glad for him, not a good time to be in LE. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

CowboyTutt wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:00 pm Scott, I'm sorry you had to go through that. "Full house" 10 mm loads are one of my favorites and I have a very nice Kimber Eclipse 1911 in that chambering. Loaded as was originally designed, it should do the job that Col Cooper intended it to do. Lots of power in a compact cartridge that allows more in the magazine.
You would think, and that Norma ammo was hotter than a wood stove. But I went back to the .45 ACP after that incident.

The only guns we used that seemed to do better were rifles and 12 ga shotguns.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Scott, I did a little research on the original Norma 10mm loads, they apparently had 2 of them. One was a 200 grain truncated cone that maybe would not work so well although it was pretty hot for the time (Modern Double Tap rounds exceed this I believe).

I have to wonder if the 170 JHP bullet would have worked better, not sure which ammo you had. The 170 had a huge hollow point and was traveling at 1270 fps.

Cool little article by the way.

https://rangehot.com/original-10mm-ammo ... rs-sweden/

I can perfectly understand why you went back to the 45 ACP, but wonder if the type of bullets used in either was the reason for success or failure. Thanks for the stories, I did enjoy them.

Regards,

-Tutt

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

It was the 170 gr hollow point. I think I still have some of that ammo.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Wow, shocked to read that Scott. Some of this makes no sense. Someone recently sent me the following YouTube link, a mutual friend, and I'm working my way through it.

The first 15 minutes might explain a lot of the phenomenon you witnessed. I don't know, but I appreciate your willingness to talk about it. Thank you, Tutt

P.S. It's like Howard Stark from Iron Man movies reporting, LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AhcuLWIe3A