How FAST bad stuff can happen...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

How FAST bad stuff can happen...

Post by AJMD429 »

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021 ... ts-robber/

The good-guy prevailed, but at the cost of severe and potentially fatal injuries he sustained.

Like I tell my kids about CCW - "Life isn't like the movies, where there's scary music that warns you something bad is about to happen; odds are you'll realize something bad is 'about to happen' AFTER it has already happened..."

Gas pumping is always 'Condition Orange' for me, even if there is no specific potential threat spotted.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Re: How FAST bad stuff can happen...

Post by Larkbill »

I think I've finally managed to convince my wife and other females in the family to take their keys with them and lock the car when they pump gas.I live in a pretty "safe" suburb but outside and home grown critters look on the large convenience stores as the happy hunting ground. The number of purses snatched from the front passenger seat of vehicles even in our county is shocking.

That's only surpassed by the number of people who have vehicles stolen from their driveways because:

A. They leave the transmitter for their pushbutton start vehicle IN THE CAR. Are you kidding me?

B. It never occurred to them to check to see if where they stored the transmitter in the house was in range of the car.

It's a much more complicated and dangerous world than we grew up in. My Dad was right. They put me on a train in St Louis to travel by train and bus to southern Alberta when I was 16 to work on a farm for the summer. The last thing he said when I got on the train was "keep an eye on your stuff, you can bet someone else is". Never was more true.
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Most of us that understand the Col's Color Code never leave the pump. If nothing else a face full of gasoline would be a good deterrent.
I usually have one hand on my EDC while the pump is running. I'll wash my windows at home, thank you.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Blaine, would you enlighten me on what the "Col's Color Code" is ?
At the gas stations, I find myself starting the pump and going inside to take a leak way more often than I used to. While I'm more watchful (in these times) than I used to be, I haven't encountered anything to be concerned about - yet.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

TraderVic wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:42 pm Blaine, would you enlighten me on what the "Col's Color Code" is ?
At the gas stations, I find myself starting the pump and going inside to take a leak way more often than I used to. While I'm more watchful (in these times) than I used to be, I haven't encountered anything to be concerned about - yet.
Col Jeff Cooper's situational awareness chart.
Or as General Mad Dog Mattis was known to say "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Thank you sir, I have seen this chart but it has certainly been awhile.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I wonder what my Messiah would think of this. Sorry.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:19 pm I wonder what my Messiah would think of this. Sorry.
What would he think about self defense?

A plain reading of the passage indicates that Jesus approved of self-defense. Self-defense may actually result in one of the greatest examples of human love. Christ, Himself said, “Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends” (John 15:14).

And, https://www.compellingtruth.org/self-defense.html

But, you have to do as your heart tells you.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have had a couple of close calls at gas pumps while traveling. But it never progressed to an actual robbery or shots exchanged. And on at least one of them, I credit my always being in condition yellow, quickly moving to Orange at the drop of a hat, when traveling in unknow locals, for sure. And this is another reason why, I usually always carry my Lightweight Commander 45 in a Milt Sparks strong side holster, either IWB or OWB but always in the same position, and I constantly practice what Jeff Cooper called the Speed Rock draw and fire, for just those very close and fast situations. In those situations, a pocket gun might as well be in the glove compartment or maybe at home for all of the good it will do you.

And even if you are in condition Yellow, Which is where Cooper said you should be, until Condition Orange seemed appropriate, you could still end up on the ground, before you even saw trouble coming. Bad guys are predators and know how to set up an ambush, and catch you by surprise. By the time the ball opens, you may find yourself already behind the curve and needing to catch up. So, that's the way I train, major service caliber handgun, and lightening fast draw, even from the ground.
NRA Life Member, Patron