Another "prop" gun killing

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Another "prop" gun killing

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

KWK wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:13 pm
Scott Tschirhart wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:06 pm Says that she has no idea where the live rounds came from and would not allow live rounds to be used under any circumstances.
Yet there are reports of plinking being done off hours. With what weapon I have not read.

That the police are still looking at this a week later suggests there is smoke in the air yet. It's quite curious.

The Yahoo article linked was weird. The friend of the gal who died blames both the armorer and the assistant director but holds the triggerman blameless? All three failed to notice the revolver had a live round in it! Obviously everyone is in CYA mode.
I agree. Something about this whole deal does not smell right. I'm betting the investigating officers are seeing the same issues.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Doesn't surprise me, you have to be careful who you blame in hollywood, if you need your job.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

A little more information came out today in the Wall St Jnl:
In Mr. Halls’ account to law enforcement, Ms. Gutierrez Reed showed him the gun for Mr. Baldwin before continuing rehearsal, and he remembered seeing three rounds. Mr. Halls told a detective he should have checked all the cylinders, but didn’t.
Yet he called "cold gun" before handing it to Baldwin, who (obviously) also didn't check it.

Still no word as to how a live round ended up in the revolver.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

"Dang straight! safety is everyones responsibilty if you touch a gun, from the armorer to the actor. they all should be held accountable!"

Agreed! All involved bear some responsibility and should pay their share of the blame and time in prison.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

What's interesting is that she says that she never saw any live ammo. But the Sheriffs Department recovered a LOT of live ammo. Close to 500 rounds by some report.

These two stories are pretty far apart and I kinda wonder exactly when that ammo got to where it was found.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

There was no reason for live ammo to be on set for movie production. Something squirrely was going on here. Perfect storm of events that led to the death of a women Ukrainian by descent with a husband and family. Angry. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

All three share the blame... No politics, optics, or spin changes that fact.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

The first thing to establish is who loaded the live cartridge in the Pietta. I would expect Santa Fe PD is having lab examination for latent fingerprints done on the contents of the Pietta’s cylinder and other live & fired ammo/cases from the scene. Since the gun was recovered right after the shooting, the odds are good latent prints, of sufficient quality for comparison, can be lifted from the cartridge case of the live round that killed Ms. Hutchins.

Anyone whose prints are on that case must be re-interviewed. Anyone whose prints match both the cartridge case of the live round that killed Ms. Hutchins, and those recreationally fired off-set, is in for some interesting times. And if the cases of live rounds, recreationally fired off-set, match the Pietta? More unhappy times.

If the ‘who’ can be established the next question is when the live cartridge was loaded in the Pietta.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Im pretty sure I read that the gun had been emptied prior to law enforcement arrival
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

i can still hear my Dad's voice saying that "there is no such thing as an unloaded gun" and "more people have been killed with an unloaded gun than any other kind". This started before I was two.

trying to dislocate blame from the shooter, or spreading it around, is the modern psychosis of the truth ain't. hard to believe how much has been said and written trying to alter reality. or soften the blow. it's the fairy-tale society.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It is amazing how gun-ignorant so many people, including gun owners, are. Sean Hannity I think was the one I heard saying someone "wasn't sure how many bullets were in the chamber"... :?

Bullet
Cartridge
Chamber
Cylinder
Magazine

None of those terms are that difficult.

Excusing people for mixing them up would be like excusing someone mixing up golfballs versus tees, or parking spaces versus parking lots, or a saddle versus a horse.

It definitely makes people lose credibility when they mix up such basic terms
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Sarge wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:09 am The first thing to establish is who loaded the live cartridge in the Pietta. I would expect Santa Fe PD is having lab examination for latent fingerprints done on the contents of the Pietta’s cylinder and other live & fired ammo/cases from the scene. Since the gun was recovered right after the shooting, the odds are good latent prints, of sufficient quality for comparison, can be lifted from the cartridge case of the live round that killed Ms. Hutchins.

Anyone whose prints are on that case must be re-interviewed. Anyone whose prints match both the cartridge case of the live round that killed Ms. Hutchins, and those recreationally fired off-set, is in for some interesting times. And if the cases of live rounds, recreationally fired off-set, match the Pietta? More unhappy times.

If the ‘who’ can be established the next question is when the live cartridge was loaded in the Pietta.
Sarge, I hope the agencies are as smart as you investigating this. Kind of doubt it though....

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Somebody here is missing something...in addition to four people failing to doing their job property there is another culprit......the gun......and I'm not laughing.......it was Italian J.U.N.K. which are known for having soft steel in the contact/wear parts that need to be hard.....that CAN be a valid point...hammer back during rehearsal---Alec not intending to pull the trigger---but a soft breeze comes through the window or the dog barks......and it goes off......

Some people just won't listen to experience.......

And as Terry says, "and so it goes".----00
Model A Uzi’s
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

CowboyTutt wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:35 pm
Sarge wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:09 am The first thing to establish is who loaded the live cartridge in the Pietta. I would expect Santa Fe PD is having lab examination for latent fingerprints done on the contents of the Pietta’s cylinder and other live & fired ammo/cases from the scene. Since the gun was recovered right after the shooting, the odds are good latent prints, of sufficient quality for comparison, can be lifted from the cartridge case of the live round that killed Ms. Hutchins.

Sarge, I hope the agencies are as smart as you investigating this. Kind of doubt it though....

-Tutt
Thank you Tutt but I don't have any magic beans. All that stuff is or should be standard practice in the bigger agencies' investigation units these days.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Snip: Authorities said they found a mix of blanks, dummy rounds and actual bullets while investigating the set.
-------------------
Mix with idiots, and there you have the perfect storm...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

not relevant to who is responsible for the death of the woman. all of the palaver has the purpose of subverting the course of justice. it's the dis-information campaign to collect all arms and munitions, because everyone is equally guilty and equally responsible. it's the marxist POV rather than the justice POV.

the working theory appears to be the more people who can be implicated, the less guilt the killer bears.
sheesh
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The 'lesson' is that if such an accident can happen among those wonderfully wise and ANOINTED individuals like Baldwin, who are extremely experienced with handling firearms (and know stuff like how to check "how many bullets are in a chamber"), then obviously those redneck hillbillies in Flyover Country are too busy clinging to our Bibles and Guns to be trusted with guns.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I've been to probably HUNDREDS of shooting matches and thousands of gunclub visits...all with real ammo..saw a few negligent discharges but.......the barrel was ALWAYS pointed downrange.

One time I f.arted real loud and was accused of a negligent discharge while the target setters were downrange.. I told the accuser, "hey, it was me" and he didn't believe it but my buddies were all there and they told him, "believe him, WE KNOW!"
Model A Uzi’s
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I read somewhere this morning of yet another safety breach on the set of this movie, wherein some extra or set go-fer managed to shoot themselves in the foot with a blank.

With no disrespect for the killed or wounded, I couldn't help but chuckle about that.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

And all the while it's still under investigation ? the Guy that pulled the trigger went home to the east coast and celebrated Halloween with His Family . A terrible shame that was easily prevented.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

I stand corrected, the armourer on the "rust" movie is an ijit and has no business doing what she was doing! She obviously has no firearms training and doesn't have the disaplin or maturity in dealing with firearms!
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Obviously she was living off of the reputation of her dad.A job like that should be an apprenticeship position where the head armourer is a journeyman not I m not armourer but I play one on tv.Also in the end they were cutting corners and you get what you pay for, I guess safety was at the bottom of the pole for them
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Though I have a great deal of respect for Thell Reed, that doesn’t mean that his daughter gets a pass. Pink hair is a major indicator of crazy.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I'm with you on the pink hair.

I'd wager a lot of folks here could competently fulfill the duties of a set armorer in their sleep.

I'm disqualified because I'm allergic to celebrities.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Sarge wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:09 pm I'm with you on the pink hair.

I'd wager a lot of folks here could competently fulfill the duties of a set armorer in their sleep.

Again Sarge, you have a way with words! Totally agree. -Tutt

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

One of the few I've met who I found really likeable and down-to-earth was Ted Nugent. He's like Dan Bongino - successful enough he doesn't have to care whether the politically-correct crowd likes what he says, so he just says what he thinks.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:06 am

One of the few I've met who I found really likeable and down-to-earth was Ted Nugent. He's like Dan Bongino - successful enough he doesn't have to care whether the politically-correct crowd likes what he says, so he just says what he thinks.
That's one of the big problems in society...people don't speak their mind because they are "afraid" they might lose their job, OFFEND someone, whatever.......you know I don't give a S what anybody thinks and I'm just a peon....

Yep Doc, I'm convinced that civilization is only a smidgen away from savagery. ......and always has been.....you take the food out of someone's mouth and they will do unspeakable barbaric acts to survive.....we all all "animals at heart" and "people" second.----006
Model A Uzi’s
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've been offending people for over half a century, and it chases away the pansies, hypocrites, and snowflakes.

On the other hand, my straightforward honesty is probably why I have three times as many patients as I can handle, and turn away a dozen per day I just can't see...they know what I think and know it won't change with the wind or politics...they can depend on me like gravity. Sometimes gravity isn't what you want, but it is constant and dependable and strong.

My patients know that I will put up with a lot of garbage, and I've sacrificed lots of money over the years by my choices, but if you DARE ***k with my patients, it will NOT end well. They value that, just as one might value having a surly retired marine as a bodyguard.

Yep...I 'offend' people sometimes, but when some tender snowflake tells me he/she/it is 'offended', I just tell them BFD and go ***k themselves.

I guess I've been around the likes of Terry here, or read biographies of people like Askins and Keith to much... :lol:

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

More on the details - https://youtu.be/FAdGcu5ZAkA?t=4508

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-dang ... nk-bullets

Blanks look pretty different than a loaded cartridge, they have a wad or a crimped neck. Anyone who knows their job as armorer should certainly have been able to tell the difference. -Tutt

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

CowboyTutt wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:19 pm
Blanks look pretty different than a loaded cartridge, they have a wad or a crimped neck. Anyone who knows their job as armorer should certainly have been able to tell the difference. -Tutt
Taken off the screen the other night....what fell out of a stainless steel Gatling gun. These are 5-1 blanks which are used in revolvers and rifles in the movie industry.........and I guess Gatling guns now.........I was so amazed at the stainless steel Gatling gun I had to take a pic....."magnificent 7" movie ......a poorly made reincarnation in my view.....
Model A Uzi’s