Finding a cast bullet for my Rossi

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Finding a cast bullet for my Rossi

Post by earlmck »

In a previous thread started by Levergunner Bill in Oregon I mentioned I had trouble getting consistency out to 200 yards with my cast bullet loads in the Rossi lever gun which I attributed to the slow twist they put in these otherwise fine rifles. Here's a pic of the rifle.
Rossi357loaded.jpg
Saturday I shot with the Handgun Silhouette folks at our local gun range (fine bunch of fellows as you might guess). I used their "big gun" targets which are chicken-pig-turkey-ram set up at 50, 100, 150, 200 yards. This is the course that has been giving me troubles when I go on past the 100 yard pig. The trusty little Arsenal "Ranch Dog" bullet that casts about 140 grains using my wheelweights+2.5% tin alloy did very nicely. I had one failure-to-fall with one of the 100 yard pigs but the turkeys and the rams seemed to go down fine. And most importantly, I was hitting them (when I did my part, which was not exactly every time). Here is the bullet that worked alongside one that didn't
357Bullets.jpg
The longer bullet is the 187 grain LBT bullet that has been wonderful in my revolver for decades. It seems to do well to about 100 yards in the Rossi and then things go downhill for me. The short bullet (also loaded in the cartridge) is the 140 grain (I think they advertise it as 135 grain) Arsenal bullet. Finally some success at longer ranges!

The load uses a federal sp magnum primer igniting 16.9 grains of a surplus powder labeled H108 which is (as you would guess) somewhat faster than H110. I have not chronographed this, but QuickLoad says if I used H110 I'd be getting about 1850 fps out of my 24" barrel. I have tried a couple of in-between bullets at 150 and 160 grains but they were plain-based bullets and when kept to moderate velocities appropriate to a plain-based bullet they did not do the job for me. Had they been gas-checked and driven to higher velocities they might well have done the job. But I'm rather tickled with my little 140 grain beauty.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Finding a cast bullet for my Rossi

Post by Sarge »

Those are both good looking bullets. That 140 would be the cat's azz for throttled up 38 snub loads, too.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Earl, I always used my Saeco 180gr FPGC bullet over 13.5grs A2400 for an average of 1670fps out 20" barrel
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

earl ,nice bullet. I agree about the slow twists and 158 grain is as heavy as I went- at low speeds anyway. I had a 24" round barrel made for a 20" rossi 92 which I had done to be lighter than the octagonals they normally have and also 1:16" twist for heavier bullets. still havent gotten round to swapping it in yet.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

3leggedturtle wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:17 pm Earl, I always used my Saeco 180gr FPGC bullet over 13.5grs A2400 for an average of 1670fps out 20" barrel
Now that has to be a significantly warm load! No, I never got up to that velocity with my 180 grain bullet.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry