Finest revolver 20th century.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Finest revolver 20th century.

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

My vote is for any of the older S&W N frame revolvers. The fit, finish, and design are my favorite. And the large number of cartridges they've been chambered in is another plus. I have them from .38 Special in my .38/44 Heavy Duty to .45 Colt, and love them.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Nothing fancy or rare, but if I could only have one big bore revolver, it would be this one.
It will shoot the standard 230 FMJs without sticking in the cyl...they just fall right out.
I have some auto rim brass, and some 250gr LaserCast that I haven't worked up as of yet. Buffalo Bore runs 255s to 1000 fps :shock: , l'd be more than happy with 800 ish.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:42 pm It is said by many of the greats that the Smith & Wesson Triple Lock is the finest American made production revolver ever to be made. In the batch of 15,000 Triple Locks a couple of hundred target variations were made with even more fine fitting. This is the revolver formally owned by the famous Captain Nate of Herreshoff America's Cup fame. It's the tightest and most finely fitted revolver I have...except for the 44-40 Merwin & Hulbert pictured below it.

They both get shot once in a while.----Inline 6

The line milled into the top strap for the sight is hardly noticeable.....

This is more finely fitted than the Triple Lock and was built in the late 80's...1880's.
It still blows me away that you have one of Captain Nat's revolvers. His son, L. Francis Herreshoff, often wrote about shooting revolvers at sea as being the finest test of hand eye coordination. When he cruised he always had a shotgun or combination gun on-board in addition to a couple of revolvers.

Does your Merwin still have the suction? First time I handled one I was totally taken aback. My father in law was with me and is an old time tool and die guy, he was just shaking his head in disbelief that it was a production gun.

Eric
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Hi Eric...thanks......suction? When I played with that gun before the auction I thought it was on a strong spring....I bet there's not much more put through that gun than a couple of boxes......it's a .427 bullet and off the bench, it will smack beer cans.....takes a lot of focus for precise aiming as the sight is the old style knife edge and is nickel plated.....

Yea, good ole Capt Nat.......it's that big funnel in the sky over my house. :D I never knew who he was before I got the letter....

Same thing with the John W. Hession single action Colt........factory letters are worth their weight in gold...
Model A Uzi’s
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Your funnel is finely tuned to all the cool stuff!

Should have been more clear on my question for other folks who haven't handled one. I was referring to when you break the gun to shake clear empties and the vaccum on the cylinder pin draws the barrel assembly back towards the frame.

The two I've laid hands on were both pretty well used but exhibited the suction. Not to the point of a strong spring as yours but definitely present to the point that it would start to move the barrel when the gun was held level.

Eric
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Funny that the other two Merwins you've handled were rough too. Seems that folks who had them used them! Tha one of yours is incredible, especially with those ivories. Maybe 10-12 years ago I put down money on a pre-order for a company that was going to reproduce them. I had dreams of having an 1880s version of the Dan Wesson Pistol Pack. Nothing ever came of it but at least I got money back.

Should you ever end up in Rhode Island there is a Herreshoff Museum in Bristol at the site of the old factory. His model room is the highlight. Him and his (blind) brother designed boats by carving a half hull model then they would run the model through a little machine of his own design which produced a lines drawing for use in the shop. Sometimes he would reuse models at different scales with slight additions or removals to produce different boats. He is particularly noted for pushing his designs to the extremes of engineering in terms of scantlings and rig design. The shop built boats in batches upside down with a mold at at each frame location and could crank them out at a shocking rate while maintaining high quality. In short, he was exactly the sort of guy who would appreciate a fine gun like a Triple Lock Target.

You know, for most folks that run of the mill 1950 Target would be the highlight of their collection. That funnel does some good work!

I have zero tolerance for backstabbing regardless of context. Can't abide it.

Eric
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Old Savage wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:46 pm What the Smith&Colt happened here???

;-) are we havin fun yet?
Squib load then next one down the pipe had a ka boom?
----- Doug
DennisB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DennisB »

It would be a Smith & Wesson, nothing else can compete. It would be a pre-model number S&W as most model number Smiths can't compete. I would say a Registered Magnum or triple lock. My personal choice though is the 5 screw K22 Masterpiece.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

jkbrea wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:27 pm S&W Model 686 .357/.38, 4" barrel.
ME TOO!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

RIHMFIRE wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:27 am
jkbrea wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:27 pm S&W Model 686 .357/.38, 4" barrel.
ME TOO!
And the best of those is the 686 Mountain Gun.