Trail Boss

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Trail Boss

Post by Bronco »

Can this stuff be compressed in a load???

Thinking about playing with some for pelosi s and giggles!

Sorry for the s word, if it is bad to use such a word in this context please let me know. Do not want to offend the faint of heart :mrgreen:
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Trail Boss

Post by Bill in Oregon »

IIRC, it should not be compressed.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Yeah everything I have read on this powder seems to suggest it is safe in almost any case if filled just below the bullet base. It is basically a low pressure volume filler for moderate or reduced velocities. I think it is a poor choice for compression
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Oh no, my innocent eyes! I'll never see again!! :lol:

I've not tried trailboss but I will tell you what I tell others that ask very important questions about powders- call or email the manufacturer and get the CORRECT information from them! To me its worth the effort, you don't blow up a gun, kill or main yourself or others.

The manufacturers are very helpful with bullets, dies, powders. Go to the source.

Then let us know what you find out
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bryan Austin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bryan Austin »

June 2016 issue of Handloader magazine

Hodgdon's Ron Reiber is credited with the following: "Reiber cautions that Trail Boss does not respond well to compression and becomes erratic in its performance--not dangerous, just erratic."
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Thanks everybody,
I know I can always call the manufacture! However, in the past I have found nuggets of knowledge asking people with experience!
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Bryan Austin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bryan Austin »

Interestingly, the whole point of trail boss is for reduced velocities in CAS and reduced loads in rifle cartridges. Aside from the reduced rifle loads such intended for high power rifle loads, full loads in high capacity black powder cases results in slow velocities at high chamber pressures. I can get higher velocities at lower, or equal to, chamber pressures with mid-range rifle powders. The higher velocities are not allowed for CAS and is why Trail Boss was offered to CAS shooters. Basically Full Pressures at Less Velocities.

A full case load where the bullet sits firm on top of the powder without compression for the 44-40, 9.5gr for me, created an average of 15,182psi (SAAMI Max is 11,000psi) and only 1,250fps.
The same case capacity load with Reloder 7 (27.5gr) gives me 1,658fps at only 13,602psi !!! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =351758228