Ever get drunk and...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Ever get drunk and...

Post by jeepnik »

Posted this on another forum and decided what the heck, post it here too.

Long ago and far away The crew of an HH43B Husky got drunk. Not unusual, but it had been a less than perfect day. While drinking we were lamenting the limitations of the Husky. That spread to the Huey and even the Super Jolly. Alcohol fuel lamentation led to the design of something better. After all the Osprey was another 16 years out.

Yesterday I got together with the Husky's crew chief. And while some alcohol was consumed neither of us reached the exalted state of our youth. That conversation about the improved air rescue helo came back up. And as we sat there, and with the knowledge of how aircraft design had progressed in 40 years we looked at what was available today. Pretty much the Blackhawk and the Osprey

The Blackhawk while light years ahead of the Husky still suffered from a typical helo configuration. The Osprey itself getting long in the tooth and really just too big and slow.

What we came up with was something about as long as a Blackhawk, but without a tail rotor so the entire length could be cabin. Instead of big ole rotors like the Osprey which makes it wide it would have jet engines. It would keep the pivoting engine nacelle but the wingtip would be able to fold inward once you transitioned to vertical flight narrowing the aircraft for use in smaller LZ's.

That wing, heck the entire aircraft would be composite the fuselage somewhat streamlined and heck since we were dreaming have the ability to fly supersonic.

Imagine flying at high speed to a downed aircrew. Transitioning and landing in a place just big enough to fit. Then once the crew was recovered take off in pure VTOL and once clear transition back to horizontal flight at that same high speed.

Older helos and even the Blackhawk aren't really true VTOL aircraft. Lift is limited. You may have seen footage of a Huey circling an LZ flying in ground effect as it gained enough speed to get the lift to clear the LZ. And doing this while folks were shooting at you.

But since we were updating our dream aircraft we gave it a three person flight crew (cabin crew would still be tailored to the mission) Why three? Well, pilot, co pilot, and weapon systems operator. That's right weapons. Real ones.

Things like effective air defense capability including countermeasures. And ground attack in the form of a chaingun and some good old 2.75 rockets (hey we're old remember and they work). Imagine coming into a hot LZ and being able to help soften it up before landing.

This led to the idea of two ship elements to soften the LZ and while one landed the second continue to provide cover.

Well like I said, the thoughts of a couple of old Airedales who remember the times something better would have been nice to have.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Ever get drunk and...

Post by AJMD429 »

Makes sense.

Hopefully we won't suffer for lack of having your Dream Chopper too soon, but times look pretty shakey.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

My Dad,
" know why an old prostitute and a helicopter are the same?"

"No visible means of support"

Dad had over 32,000 hours in fixed wing from Piper Cub to Boeing 757 but he wouldn't get a rating in rotary .

If your idea went from a bar napkin to the drawing board to test flights im sure they would be as expensive as the F35, the administration would then leave behind.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

No, I can honestly say I never got drunk and designed a new flying contraption.

I confess that while drunk I tried to design a way to overcome the Shore Patrol. That did not work either. :shock:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

JimT wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:57 am No, I can honestly say I never got drunk and designed a new flying contraption.

I confess that while drunk I tried to design a way to overcome the Shore Patrol. That did not work either. :shock:
I found out it never worked with the South Korean Constabulary, either. A little "Beat And Release" is an educational experience. :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Never worked on Mexican cops either, 3 other very young and green airmen and myself spent 2 days and 2 nights as a guest of the mayor of Juarez, we got to having too much fun in a cantina and got hauled off. Not one of life's shiniest moments. :D
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

The advantage of drinking in the hanger. No one bothers you and you can crash right there. No wandering, err, staggering around to draw attention to yourself.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Jeepnik, the uh-1 h slicks had a 1300 hp engine and could hover out of ground effect and drop a stokes litter, a jungle penetrater seat, maguire rigs or ladders to recover troopers. The best bird for a snatch & grab was the oh-6 loach can carry 6 guys & can do 170+ mph and go anywhere you want. Have been on pink teams supporting ch-53 sea stallion on pilot recovery those birds can take a lot of damage and stay up. The days of pilot recovery I saw are gone now, I have watched ch-53 covered by a couple of pink teams low and flights of a1e's or a6 intruders high and spooky inbetween. It was a pleasure to watch the fàst movers pound charlie when we recovered pilots & troopers. danny
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I always liked having Phantoms around.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"