Leverevolution or Core-Lokt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Leverevolution or Core-Lokt

Post by jkbrea »

I've been using Hornady Leverevolution 325 gr 45-70 for elk hunting. I've taken a few and it is very accurate. Lately there have been more grizz sightings in the area I hunt. I have a couple boxes of Remington Core-Lokt 405 gr JSP. Will they penetrate better up close, (out to 20 yards), better than the LE?
I know both are good for elk.
I did notice the Core-Lokt have much less recoil and are actually pleasant to shoot.
Hornady box says 2000 fps. Rem are 1600fps.
I'm was told the LE could come apart at closer range without much penetration. I have no idea except what I've seen on elk at 50-150 yards.
I have resighted my rifle to the Core-Lokts. They actually hit 10" lower at 100 yards than the LE.
33wcfshooter
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Leverevolution or Core-Lokt

Post by 33wcfshooter »

Old timers thought highly of the 405 gr. factory loads (both jacketed and lead) unless something has changed I think they'd probably work ok. But I think if your worried about a grizzly you might want to look at Garrett Cartridges. They load super hard cast loads and have a great reputation in Alaska. You didn't mention the strength level of your rifle or how much recoil you want to deal with. They load the 420gr hammer heads at both original springfield safe loads, Marlin loads, and then the ruger no.1 or browning 85. There not cheap but might be worth it website www.garrettcartridges.com
They've got the statement on the site about only selling to previous customers because of the component shortages but I think if you email them and explain your grizzly problem they'll make an exception Ashley is a good fella.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I have about 6 rounds of Buffalo Bore left but not sure if it's a good hunting round.The rifle is a Marlin SBL. I want it loaded with a round for elk hunting and have enough penetration "just in case". I know chances of encounters are very low. Only had one grizzly encounter in 30 years. I do carry bear spray.
The only ammo I have are the LE and Core-Lokts. After discussions with other hunters, I switched to the CL. I just wanted opinions from here if you believe it will work adequately for bear defense. I really do value the input from this forum.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

The CoreLokt is one of those designs that was done right from the outset.

It's been around since 1939, and is still a premier bullet for game. I don't
know how you'd go wrong choosing it. The late Jeff Cooper was impressed with it.

I know not of LeverEvolution, 'cuz I haven't used any yet.

But in my opinion, you can't make a mistake choosing a CoreLokt hunting bullet.
They expand very well, penetrate well, and don't come apart.

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles ... core-lokt/

-Stretch
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

That 405 gr Core-Lokt bullet is a sure killer. I would not hesitate to use it on anything. My Guide Gun stays sighted in for that load and I have never felt the need for more.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Thanks for the input. I felt stupid asking the question. I usually hunt with a 30-06 but feel better with a lever 45-70 due to more bears in the area.
Other than some buffalo bore, I've only shot Leverevolution since I got the rifle. They do pack a punch but they're basically a hollowpoint with a rubber tip. They worked great on the three elk I've taken with them and are extremely accurate out to 400 yards. But I hunt in timber and most of the elk I've shot were about 100 yards so Core-Lokt it is!
Last edited by jkbrea on Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Years ago I split an order of 1,000 Rem 405 gr SP bullets for my Marlin 45/70. I don't bear hunt, but wouldn't hesitate to use them. I load a bit warm (50 gr H322, WLR primers, Starline case), but nothing walks away.
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

I used the Remington bullet in my handloads to take 2 nilgai, not an elk but a large tenacious critter. Good bullet.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I RECOMMEND that you do water-jug and firewood tests. It is the only way I know of that you can assure yourself that you are getting what you want.
I went down the road you are on, but I only hunt deer, but I lived in a target-rich bear environment of coastal southeast alaska. where the bears, on occasion, actually do eat people. and they don't ask any questions first.
I carry a 405Gr hardcast TC from beartoothbullets.com in my Redhawk, and the 525Gr hammerhead in my guide gun. the potential for that load is to shoot clean through any animal on the continent from any direction. These are tough bullets and they are the best I've found on the jug test, and the hammer test. I am willing to scale the guide gun back to about 470Grs when I run out of the 100 loaded carts.
Please do not take my word for this. Collect some jugs and some firewood rounds, and do your own testing. I can tell you that the 405 Gr load penetrates like a buffalo cartridge, but you need to see it for yourself. And reject any frangible load you come across.
free advice
Regards,
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Since you brought this up, I am on the side of the 405 grain jacketed oft point for accuracy and effectiveness.

The 325 whatever it is called seems to recoil more than my 300 grain hand loads at 2600 fps in my 1886 45-90. Those 325s are just unpleasant to shoot in a 10 pound rifle. Not fun.
The 405 grain Remington bullets at 1700 fps are still pleasant to shoot, so that is what I will do.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/