Testing Some 9em em Loads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Testing Some 9em em Loads

Post by JimT »

Messing around in the shop today I decided to test the power level of a couple 9mm loads. Just comparing them against each other. I actually started out to just fire a Bear Creek Supply 125 gr. moly-lubed bullet through the gun and catch it. But once I had it going I just HAD to try the others!
bear creek.jpg
Bear Creek Supply 125 gr.

I set up a board with some wadded up rags and 3 1" pine boards spaced in between.
1.JPG
2.JPG
The first load I fired was 2.0 gr. Bullseys in an old primed Russian steel case. I fired this into the first rag and it stopped in the second rag. It did not move the slide on the gun.
The bullet was in pretty decent shape.
3.JPG
It penetrated almost 6"
4.JPG
The next was my target/plinking load of 3.5 gr. 700X
It went through 2 rags and 1 board and stopped in the 3rd rag.
5.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
It penetrated about 12"

The 3rd load was 7.9 gr. of Blue Dot. It sailed through 5 rags and (almost) 3 boards and stopped in the 6th rag.
9.JPG
The bullet went load, skidded along the base board clipping the 3rd 1" board
10.JPG
and stopped in this rag
11.JPG
12.JPG
It penetrated nearly 2 feet.
13.JPG
Fun stuff. If you try this you're on your own. Just please make sure you have a strong backstop beyond everything.
JUST IN CASE!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Re: Testing Some 9em em Loads

Post by AmBraCol »

You're a bad influence, Jim Taylor. :D A few weeks ago I thought, "Shucks, let's do a Jim Taylor stunt and catch one of these here 12 bore "traumatic loads" - a soft rubber ball at 1,200 fps. So I wadded up some rags, tossed them on the bench and tossed a pair of leather work gloves in front of the pile for good measure. Upon squeezing the trigger the wad of rags flew forward along with gloves and all. I STILL have no idea where that rubber ball went, but it penetrated several layers of rag AND one of the gloves. :shock: This was out at the club with a 20 meter bank in front of the firing line (50 meters off), so perfectly safe. Back to the drawing board, though, in order to catch one of those balls. I know they're light, but they're moving at a right good clip as well. I didn't even TRY to catch one of the rubber slugs, they're close to 1,500 fps and much heavier. We'll try a cardboard box full of cardboard and see how that does. It'll stop a 7.65 Browning FMJ slug so don't expect full penetration from a light rubber ball out of a 12 bore. :lol:
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

That's great! I have caught big slugs but not at real high velocity. I was almost at the limit with the 9mm tests. I remember one time I wanted to catch a 420 gr. .475 Linebaugh. It was only doing about 950 and I had this huge line of rags on the shop floor. I got down and shot into it and they all went shooting across the garage. I was glad I didn't have my truck in there at the time. They did stop the bullet but not before they had gone quite a ways across the shop. :lol:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I love doing stuff like that!

I'm always playing with a .310 round ball in a .308 Winchester case or a .315 RB in a .303 British or .7.62x54r. I can get away with shooting them in the back yard with very little noise. A lot of fun chasing the neighbor's cat back where it belongs. :D
Years ago I loaded a .315 in a .32 long case and was shooting it across my basement. Had a big cross cut chunk of oak down there and had put something in front of it I intended to shoot ( can't remember what it was) but I remember that thing bouncing off the oak and smacking me right in the hand! :shock:
How I survived my twenties is a mystery to me.

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

2ndovc wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:02 pm I love doing stuff like that!

I'm always playing with a .310 round ball in a .308 Winchester case or a .315 RB in a .303 British or .7.62x54r. I can get away with shooting them in the back yard with very little noise. A lot of fun chasing the neighbor's cat back where it belongs. :D
Years ago I loaded a .315 in a .32 long case and was shooting it across my basement. Had a big cross cut chunk of oak down there and had put something in front of it I intended to shoot ( can't remember what it was) but I remember that thing bouncing off the oak and smacking my right in the hand! :shock:

jb 8)
GREAT! One of my first memories of shooting was in the basement with my Dad. He was shooting some little .32 or other. He shot into this timber and the bullet came back and smacked me in leg, a few inches above the knee. Scared me. But Dad had me "cowboy up" so that by the time we got upstairs where Mom was I had pretty much forgotten about it. Luckily for him. :D
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Hmmm. This sounds like the grownup version of discovering that Daisy BBs bounce straight back -- a totally unforeseen reaction. :lol:
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:27 am Hmmm. This sounds like the grownup version of discovering that Daisy BBs bounce straight back -- a totally unforeseen reaction. :lol:
What? You saw that? Thought I was all alone . . .
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

m.A.g.a. !
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Those BB guns are dangerous. Apparently they go straight for the eyes! :shock:
A .32 cal crack to the knuckle is just an attention getter. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

2ndovc wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:02 pm

jb 8)
I think we had similar experiences in our 20's Jason! :wink: