Component Availability.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Component Availability.....

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Component Availability.....

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I laid in a lot of primers after the last time we did this.

But yesterday, I ordered a case of 10 pounds of Unique from Bruno Shooters Supply in Arizona. The only place I could find that had it and would allow me to order a significant amount (to spread out the hazmat fee).

I'm thinking that this isn't really getting better like it did last time.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm seeing nothing so far, except way over priced stuff. I'm well set for almost all my reloading needs, except BP. I recently got interested in trying BP so I can shoot in long range matches at our gun club. But bad timing, as BP is unobtainable currently, and of course Goex is defunct now too.
So I'm stuck shooting my smokeless loads, which wont allow my scores to count in BP matches.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

It's hit and miss in northern OH. Plenty of the more common bullets, 9mm,.223, .308,452,430, etc. Brass is less predictable, kinda whatever shows up on the truck. Same for powder. Primers are pretty well stocked at about $10/ 100. Prices are coming down on .22lr.

I had about 95% of what I needed this time around but added the .450 Bushmaster and .40 S&W as new cartridges to load for. Strangely, the .40 S&W was harder to get up and running. Took a little extra scrounging.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
m.A.g.a. !
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
m.A.g.a. !
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

2ndovc wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:49 pm Strangely, the .40 S&W was harder to get up and running. Took a little extra scrounging.

jb 8)
I was in Academy this weekend. No primers, but there were plenty of jacketed bullets in a variety of calibers.

Probably 70-80 boxes of factory .40 ammo on the shelf and quite a bit of 5.56 and 7.62 Nato. But very little else.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I think there are still a lot of people who are buying whatever comes in and trying to resale it for a profit.
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

I picked up 400 small rifle primers at Academy last weekend (all they would let me get at one time). Those were the first I had seen on shelves anywhere in many moons.
NRA life member
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:48 am I laid in a lot of primers after the last time we did this.

But yesterday, I ordered a case of 10 pounds of Unique from Bruno Shooters Supply in Arizona. The only place I could find that had it and would allow me to order a significant amount (to spread out the hazmat fee).

Scott, I'm glad you found powder but I don't remember Unique running so high a price. I may be experiencing old timers brain, but it seems like I paid $8 per pound when I stocked up last time. It's like a bad dream that won't end.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I think at the moment I’ve got more primers for rifles and pistols than I’ll ever use with the possible exception of SR match . I’ve got more shotgun primers then most people would need in a lifetime , but I think I should be good for a couple years . Shot seems to go away fairly fast when I get on a loading jag and powder to a lesser degree . I suppose two eight pounders of Unique perhaps two eight pounders of Green Dot and maybe 20-30 bags of #7 1/2’s and I’d be set for ten years .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I had gotten scary low on large rifle primers earlier this year. I didn't even realize it until I used the last of a 1,000 brick of primers, and went to my storage to get another. Then did a quick count and was horrified to see I only had 3,000 total of LR primers!
I began to ask around of a few friends I know often buy up estates, or sell estates for widows, and one came through for me! He told me he had probably 12,000 Remington LR primers if I wanted them at $35 per 1000. I bought all he had, so I'm in pretty good shape now. I do have lots of all the other size rifle and pistol, and rarely use much other than large pistol. But wont sell any, as never know what the future holds.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I shared a thousand small pistol and a thousand large pistol primers with a friend last week.

He was running dangerously low and simply could not find them anywhere. This is one good thing about having some things stashed away and some friends that would do the same for you.

Our plan (and it may be a pipe dream) is to buy a pallet of CCI Mini Mags when they become readily available again.
Steve in MO
Levergunner

Post by Steve in MO »

Bass Pro doesn't even stock powder anymore, and primers are rarer than hen's teeth. They have some bullets, but they are getting ammo in. Earlier this week they had cases and cases of Federal 5.56 for sale, no limit, but for $700! Luckily I've got enough of that to fight two wars. Our Academy is useless.

There's a smaller, local shop that manages to have a good supply of powder and sometimes primers, however they're so expensive that I never get any. Like Scott, I stocked up after the last round of craziness. I do have a standing order for primers with another shop that doesn't gouge on prices. They've been really good to me.

I don't see a let up in the near future. I think this is going to continue for a good long while, and we're going to be paying higher prices all around for what we need, whether it be ammo, primers or powder. Even lead is getting expensive.
"When the shooting stops, and the dead are buried, and the politicians take over; it all adds up to one thing: a lost cause."
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

I stopped plinking and shooting for fun. Hunting only until this breaks...assuming it does
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Trailboss wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:25 pm
Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:48 am I laid in a lot of primers after the last time we did this.

Scott, I'm glad you found powder but I don't remember Unique running so high a price. I may be experiencing old timers brain, but it seems like I paid $8 per pound when I stocked up last time. It's like a bad dream that won't end.
I don't think we will see $8/pound powder ever again.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

I've not loaded lead bullets for my 357 to date, but plan to shortly. Is .358 diameter the most common to use ? Almost all of my reloading over the years has been for rifles, so I appreciate your patience.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

TraderVic wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:22 pm I've not loaded lead bullets for my 357 to date, but plan to shortly. Is .358 diameter the most common to use ? Almost all of my reloading over the years has been for rifles, so I appreciate your patience.
Unless you have an oddball out of spec revolver, .358 should work fine. I've used cast 358 bullets in in a dozen or so 38 Special & 357 revolvers over the years with good results.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

My 357 revolvers are standard bore Rugers, so the .358 bullets will be fine. Thanks.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
m.A.g.a. !
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I got all ya want...$450 a case.....(5,000) .cash...pick up only....---00 federal.

L.R.....L.R.B.R.....S.R......S.R.B.R.......L.P.....L.P.M.....S.P..........Even have a 1,000 Remington ELECTRIC primers.......

Just call "Sixgun's Primer & Component Supply" ..Bring cash, no credit or debit. We also dabble in U.S. made antique guns.

MASK REQUIRED along with proof of vaccination. ---006
Last edited by Sixgun on Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ray, that is some good news. Hope they expand production to include large rifle and pistol primers.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Just call "Sixgun's Primer & Component Supply" ..Bring cash, no credit or debit. We also dabble in U.S. made antique guns.

MASK REQUIRED along with proof of vaccination. ---006

Guy had a sign on his table at last show, : 50% off purchases with proof of vaccinations :P

Powder is $40-47 a pound and primers are $75-125
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I had a friend who was traveling around Las Vegas and he found me 3 bricks of Rem 7 1/2's for $60 a brick which is good by todays standards. He also found a friend with some of the Soviet made Wolf primers and I have 3 bricks of LP's coming from him hopefully soon if he honors the agreement with my friend. I also just found 4 lbs of CFE 223 powder for $60 a lb but no sales tax or hazmat fee. I need it for my 416/284 project and thought it better to pay the extra for the powder that is my first pick, and not compromise.

I'm also a little low on LR at about 2200 I think. Have my friend trying to find some for me. I just saw two bricks of BR-2's sell for $374 dollars on Gunbroker plus $50 shipping. Ouch. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Cowboy Tutt, did you read the mid-70's Handloader Digest article that had the 375/284 project in a Savage 99? Your wildcat sounds like alot more of the same. I could enjoy those with mid range loads and cast bullets. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Todd, I may have seen that online. Mine is a 416/284 McPherson with a 30* shoulder instead of 40 degree on a Model '88 Winchester that is still in process of being built.
McPherson did build a 416/284 on a Savage '99 as well. The '88 has a stronger action though being a front locker. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
m.A.g.a. !
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Any place that only accepts Zelle for payment or BitCoin, run away from. I found an online company with tons of items " in stock" but only accepted payment as mentioned. Zelle is like paying with cash, the bank can't get your money back. Total fraud. I should probably call the FBI on the site I found. Luckily I didn't place an order. -Tutt