Fun Project 1800s Cartridge Belt Restoration

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Fun Project 1800s Cartridge Belt Restoration

Post by Rube Burrows »

Just recently finished restoring a Pooler & Jones Boss Shotshell Cartridge belt. Feel free to check out the link for full details.

Also recreated a historic photo of John Slaughter while I was at it.

https://jwheeler331.blogspot.com/2021/1 ... e.html?m=1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ysabel Kid

Re: Fun Project 1800s Cartridge Belt Restoration

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Now that is just downright COOL!!! 8) 8) 8)

Well done!!!
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:17 pm Now that is just downright COOL!!! 8) 8) 8)

Well done!!!

Thank you. It was a fun thing to work on.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Great job of restoration, well done :mrgreen: those type of cartridge belts are often found in the UK usually made of spring steel. I have used them in the past but once carelessly scratched my stock on an empty shell holder. They are quick to use and hold the shells securely. Sometimes I see a row of the spring clips on cartridge bags too..…
I really like the photograph, a nice touch to finish off the project.... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

gamekeeper wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:19 am Great job of restoration, well done :mrgreen: those type of cartridge belts are often found in the UK usually made of spring steel. I have used them in the past but once carelessly scratched my stock on an empty shell holder. They are quick to use and hold the shells securely. Sometimes I see a row of the spring clips on cartridge bags too..…
I really like the photograph, a nice touch to finish off the project.... 8)
Thanks Gamekeeper. I could definitely see how someone could scratch a gun stock with something like this. Something to definitely keep in mind while using it.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Well done sir! I admire your patience and persistence. Bringing back a piece of history and doing it correctly requires some dedication. Thank you for sharing with us.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

That was quite the project, and very well done. Thanks for sharing with us!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Awesome.!!!
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Thank you all. It was a fun project and one that I just kind of backed into. Started out with a facination of the original John Slaughter photo because his 1887 was so prominant. Then I just assumed that he had a canvas Mills style belt on. Thought that for years. In the Packing Iron book it is even listed as a Mills belt. Then one day I seen a very good image of the photo and could see that it was something more than just canvas. That lead me to really digging in to try and see what type of belt it was. Once I found what it was I just decided to look for one and after a week or so of searching I found that one but in rough shape. I thought to myself that I could prob. bring it back and give it new life. Glad I did.

Thanks for checking it out everyone.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

earlmck wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:56 am That was quite the project, and very well done. Thanks for sharing with us!
+1 to that! Well done!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

THATS GREAT!
BUT....WHICH ONE IS YOU...HAHAHA
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Excellent Rube. Very, very excellent. I had the pleasure of spending a day in the saddle on the J-S. Did you know the south fence of the corrals is the border fence? The cussed horse I had borrowed actually tore a post out of the shed where I tied him. Well, it made a memory.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

M. M. Wright wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:39 pm Excellent Rube. Very, very excellent. I had the pleasure of spending a day in the saddle on the J-S. Did you know the south fence of the corrals is the border fence? The cussed horse I had borrowed actually tore a post out of the shed where I tied him. Well, it made a memory.
Thanks and goodness. I’m sure that did make a memory.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

RIHMFIRE wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:50 am THATS GREAT!
BUT....WHICH ONE IS YOU...HAHAHA

8)
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Rube,
A few times a year someone comes up with a "post of substance". Yours is one of the best and one I enjoyed immensely.

Very tedious work that few have the patience or the craftsmanship for and I take it that it was a "labor of love" on your part.

Your belt would be a real eye catcher at a cowboy match.

Well done young man!-----006
Model A Uzi’s
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

amazing work ! would never have thought it could be done so well !!
cable
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:26 pm Rube,
A few times a year someone comes up with a "post of substance". Yours is one of the best and one I enjoyed immensely.

Very tedious work that few have the patience or the craftsmanship for and I take it that it was a "labor of love" on your part.

Your belt would be a real eye catcher at a cowboy match.

Well done young man!-----006

Thank you Sixgun. It was absolutly a labor of love. I enjoyed giving new life to a piece that would otherwise be long forgotten about. Thank you again for the kind words.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

hfcable wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:16 pm amazing work ! would never have thought it could be done so well !!

Thank you very much.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Your welcome Rube and thank you...when I like someone I'll give em the shirt off my back.......let's not talk about the alternative as some people need to "sleep with the fish". :D

Yes, I agree on getting something old back into running condition as a labor of love.........like Pitchy, I like the old stuff ......especially guns and related items.....

How well do the shotgun shells fit in the copper holders?....is there any "spring" tension or is it just a tight fit. Your belt is super cool and I'm not patronizing....I really like it.----006

Picture is really spot on...
Model A Uzi’s
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

Very nice work!
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Sixgun wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:57 pm Your welcome Rube and thank you...when I like someone I'll give em the shirt off my back.......let's not talk about the alternative as some people need to "sleep with the fish". :D

Yes, I agree on getting something old back into running condition as a labor of love.........like Pitchy, I like the old stuff ......especially guns and related items.....

How well do the shotgun shells fit in the copper holders?....is there any "spring" tension or is it just a tight fit. Your belt is super cool and I'm not patronizing....I really like it.----006

Picture is really spot on...

The holders do have spring tension in them. When I got them many of them were crushed. I reshaped them as best as I could to get the proper tension back in them. The only "problem" if you will, when putting them in. The original brass shotshells were tapered. The taper allows for the end of the shell to pass over the rivets that secure the carriers to the belt. I normally don't taper my brass shotshells so the end of the hull will catch the rivet on the way in if not done carefully. If they had the taper the would slide right in. It does not effect pulling them out at all though.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

ywaltzucanrknrl wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:04 pm Very nice work!

Appreciate it.