Winchester 1895 Russian Contract

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Winchester 1895 Russian Contract

Post by 2ndovc »

I haven't seen a decent one up for sale in a while. This one isn't perfect, but better than I've seen lately. There's a decent write up in the description on the history and what happened to many of them. I have one that has the Spanish Loyalist cartouche on the stock. I had three at one time, but sold off two of them when they got really pricy. Kept the best one.

I'll be interested to see how high this one goes.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/911812677

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 1895 Russian Contract

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Just buy it. Figure out what to sell kater..... He has some nice levers too.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've bought quite a few of their guns. Good bunch and are pretty knowledgeable.

We'll see where it goes. :wink:

jb 8)

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Every time i find one of those it looks like it got ran over and dragged by a tank and it's $3500+ :shock:

Sure would like to have one as a nice companion to my .30 US
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Lack of spare parts was part of the problem. No way to rebuild them after the Revolution. From what I've read that was one of the reasons they sold them to the Spanish and others.

jb 8)

samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Last one I saw was in a local shop 2-3 years ago. It was maybe a little better than that one in the auction...$1700, probably should have grabbed it.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

From the same seller who I also have had a positive dealing with, I think this is the better buy for something that will shoot well and not harm the wood of the first gun with its many short, small cracks and not so good bore. -Tutt

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/911814732
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

I really like the Winchester 1895, but in .405 WCF. Mine came back from Magnaport today and I plan to shot it some this weekend.

Working on some exotic hunts with 86er and plan on popping something big with the .405.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

CRS, I think yours might be the one that was throated to accept longer bullets? If so, your rifle has always been my idea of what I would do with a modern 1895 for years, maybe even a decade or more LOL. Curious about the Magnaporting. Maybe report back in a new thread after your weekend shoot. I'm generally not so fond of muzzle breaks, but something with ports only on top, and doesn't blast people (like hunting guides) to your left or right, might work real well. Please report back my friend, if I have my facts correct.

The 1895 is one mighty fine gun and one of my favorites. Regards,

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

CowboyTutt wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:49 pm From the same seller who I also have had a positive dealing with, I think this is the better buy for something that will shoot well and not harm the wood of the first gun with its many short, small cracks and not so good bore. -Tutt

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/911814732
Tutt, I see what you're saying, but my intention for this post was to say; here's a piece of levergun history that doesn't come up for sale very often. Like Vance pointed out, most of the ones we see are like this and look like they did the 100 meter dash tied to the back of a T-34. A big part of collecting for me is the history. How did this rifle get to Russia and back in mostly one piece over the last 100+ years? Mine even took a detour through the Spanish Civil War. :shock:

I have one that I can shoot, but don't very often. It does cause quite a stir at the range and end up talking more about it than shooting it. Usually have an SVT-40 along with it and a couple boxes of handloads. :D

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

CRS, I think yours might be the one that was throated to accept longer bullets?

Yes and that was to be able to crimp 400 grain Woodies at the cannelure. It worked well. Those 400 grain Woodies at 2100 fps really do penetrate. Nothing in the lower 48 to justify the 400s, so I will hunt with 300s here.

WRT Magnaport, I have three rifles with that treatment and mostly to remove muzzle rise/jump. I have found that to be just the ticket for me with no ill affects.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

2ndovc wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:57 pm Lack of spare parts was part of the problem. No way to rebuild them after the Revolution. From what I've read that was one of the reasons they sold them to the Spanish and others.

jb 8)
I always wonder how many of the Russian 1895s made it back to the states...
Largest number made but scarcely seen.
I want one. Of course, I want one of everything. Like a Gatling gun, etc. and so forth.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I just want a carbine with the top handguard intact. I don't know why, but that just interests me more than anything else.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

The SRCs have always been my favorites. These are both .30-'06, the top one is the first Winchester I bought myself thirty years ago, give or take, for all of $300. I've taken a pretty good pile of MI and PA white tail with it. The other one I bought a couple of years ago and got it for a good price because it was missing the handguard. Just happened to have one sitting around waiting for a new home.
Serial numbers place them about a year apart, but obviously one has seen a lot more use.

jb 8)

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

That bottom one, oh man! I know that I should not covet.....