Did a gun trade today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Did a gun trade today

Post by marlinman93 »

A gun trade that kept both guns still in the family that is!
Years ago my wife asked if I had a small handgun she could keep under her side of the mattress. So after we visited the safe she decided my Hi Standard D-101 .22 Mag derringer was just the ticket. I wasn't too concerned, as it was staying here. But then every time I mentioned taking it with me to shoot, or carry as a backup, I got the, "That's my handgun!" response.
So I ran across my fishing gun; a Walther P-22 10 shot semiautomatic I used to stuff in the back pocket of my jeans when fishing creeks, or small ponds. It's been sitting a long time, but otherwise almost new condition. So I offered to trade her a 10 shot semiauto handgun for the 2 shot derringer, with a heavy double action trigger pull. She jumped on the deal, so I got my old friend back after 20+ years.
The D-101 is a great little option, especially for summer when I'm dressed lighter, and just want something to slip in my pants pocket.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Did a gun trade today

Post by gamekeeper »

Good to hear that your wife takes her personal safety seriously.... 8) but annoying when there's a gun in the house that you are not allowed to shoot.... :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

gamekeeper wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:27 am Good to hear that your wife takes her personal safety seriously.... 8) but annoying when there's a gun in the house that you are not allowed to shoot.... :lol:
Yes, she really does! And I was pretty sure offering her more capacity would clinch the trade. Getting the Hi Standard back into my grubby hands was like getting the ring back in Lord of the Rings! I was tickled to have "my precious" back in my hands.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Funny how some guns are "special" even though they are not the most expensive or useful..I often take out my Cooey single shot .410 and leave "better" guns in the safe.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

gamekeeper wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:19 am Funny how some guns are "special" even though they are not the most expensive or useful. I often take out my Cooey single shot .410 and leave "better" guns in the safe.
So very true! This Hi Standard is maybe one of my least valuable guns, but it stayed around after I sold probably 30 Hi Standard pistols I once collected. Probably because it was both a fun gun, but also because it wouldn't generate enough cash to buy something neat I was looking at.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Value of a firearm means very little to me, if I have happy memories of time spent in the field it matters not how much the gun is worth in cash but how much I value those memories.
I have always had a interest in Derringers of all types but never had the opportunity to even handle the Hi Standard model, if our Draconian gun laws weren't so restrictive I would probably have one in my back pocket as I write this.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I carried one of those in my back pocket for many years. Mostly on duty or when buying dope. Never had anyone find it on me and never felt undergunned while wearing it.

I keep looking for a Louisianna State Trooper issued version.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:25 am I carried one of those in my back pocket for many years. Mostly on duty or when buying dope. Never had anyone find it on me and never felt undergunned while wearing it.

I keep looking for a Louisianna State Trooper issued version.
Mine is the blued version, with faux ivory grips. Always my favorite variation.