On The Range With the .22 Long Rifle Handloads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

On The Range With the .22 Long Rifle Handloads

Post by JimT »

Made it to the Range this morning. I had loaded 20 each of the .22 Long Rifles with the 38 gr. cast hollow point and the 40 gr. cast flat nose. I used 2.0 gr. Bullseye on all loads.

I started with the 38 gr. cast HP. Shooting 20 yards.
IMG_2656.JPG
This was about average for the 4 groups I fired. I did note that these loads his much closer to the POA than factory high velocity rounds. So I fired 5 on a target and then fired 5 .22 Magnums on the same target, holding the same POA. The Magnums hit a bit higher than my handloads. So now I am gonna have to chronograph them.
IMG_2657.JPG
The 40 gr. cast flat nose seemed more accurate to me. This was the best target of the 3 I shot.
IMG_2660.JPG
I had one failure to fire with the 40 gr. load. I rotated the cartridge and snapped it again but it did not fire. I think the priming compound was bad.
IMG_2662.JPG
IMG_2663.JPG
I am impressed with the 2.0 gr. Bullseye load and will have to test it more and chronograph it. The bore and chambers stayed clean. The cartridge cases themselves were clean and not smoky. I think it may be a keeper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: On The Range With the .22 Long Rifle Handloads

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey thats not too bad Jim! Any plan to try increasing the load? Decreasing? Or are you just going to call it good?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:43 pm Hey thats not too bad Jim! Any plan to try increasing the load? Decreasing? Or are you just going to call it good?
It's getting close to a compressed load so I most likely won't go any further with Bullseye. I have a couple other powders I want to try and when i get them I will try them. Power Pistol I think is one I don't have.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ah yes case capacity, wasn't thinking about that!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

This is a very cool project. Thanks for tickling my curiosity, it looks like a lot of fun.

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Grizz wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:11 pm This is a very cool project. Thanks for tickling my curiosity, it looks like a lot of fun.

I like to know what the velocity will be also. I keep thinking I need to make a light 22 Hornet for doing what you are accomplishing. Grizz, you need to develop a 78gr Keith type SWC for end to end shooting of coyotes!
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

A friend reports that out of a 6 1/2" TC .22 this load does over 1400 fps.

I would guess that out of my 6 1/2" Single Six they are around 1200.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Keep shooting and reporting, please, Jim. Love this project. You are a handloader's handloader. 8)
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Jim, that matches the .22 WRF out of a rifle! Great load for squirrels and rabbits with out turning them in stew like a 17hmr or 22mag with holliwpoint do...
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

3leggedturtle wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:27 am
Grizz wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:11 pm This is a very cool project. Thanks for tickling my curiosity, it looks like a lot of fun.

I like to know what the velocity will be also. I keep thinking I need to make a light 22 Hornet for doing what you are accomplishing. Grizz, you need to develop a 78gr Keith type SWC for end to end shooting of coyotes!
LOL! the Heavy for Caliber 22 lr. why didn't I think of that ? ? ?

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I really want to give this a try. I do have the loading tool; just need to find the time.