.327 Federal in a Ruger Single Seven.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

.327 Federal in a Ruger Single Seven.

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Good morning Gents,

I'm back from my trip, but now I have a new project. A .327 Federal (I'm really impressed with this cartridge and I am lobbying hard for Ruger to bring it out in a Ruger/Marlin 94) in a Ruger Bisley Single Seven. Bobby says that the best shooting load is Buffalo Bore's .32 H&R Magnum with the SWC bullet.

Any recipies for loads in a Single Seven?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Re: .327 Federal in a Ruger Single Seven.

Post by TraderVic »

Nice looking rig there Scott. I've been toying with the idea of a Lipsey's Single Seven in 327 with a 4 5/8" barrel, but I have no brass or other components and this is about the worst time I can think of to find these necessities to get started.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Wear your ear protection! If that's a "walking around" shooter, you won't hear right for a long time, or maybe permanently, after busting a snake, or other critter of opportunity without your ears on.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Very nice revolver, Scott.
Blaine, why is it that the .30 Carbine, .32-20 and the .32 Magnums are so painfully loud?
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Very nice.

If I'm not shooting a .32 H&R load in mine, it's not so loud, I've been loading a 100 LFNGC with 4.4 grs of Unique.
A .327 lever action carbine would sweet. I know Henry makes one, but haven't read anything good about it's accuracy.

Have fun!

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Very nice. I had no clue they ran as fast as they do. I agree with Blaine, keep your hearing protection close by. I did see a 115 gr (.312 diameter) LRNFP load with 5.0 gr of W244 that ran 1,226 fps. It was the lowest pressure load listed at around 33K, the rest were all right about 40K of pressure. If you go jacketed LIL GUN will push it right up to 1,400 FPS.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I shot two cylinders full today. This was the first offhand at 25 yards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I adjusted the rear sight two clicks up and repeated with the Federal American Eagle 100 gr soft point.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

I've yet to do much with ours. Loaded up a few hundred rounds, mostly 32 SWL but thanks to the generosity of the men on this forum I also loaded up a bit of 327 Magnum and 32 H&R. But am waiting for the next time north when I'll present it to my darling wife. We had to leave her 32 in Brazil years ago, this one will replace it as "HER" resolver. That's some decent accuracy you're getting, looking forward to seeing what we can wring out of it. This little package with a 7 1/2" barrel would be quite the "reach out and touch a bunny" rig. But I've high hopes for the shorter barrel as well.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Mine is a shooter. But that Federal red box ammo is hotter than a firecracker!!!!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

45,000 lbs, if you run things that hot you will deal with what comes along with it. There is no magic.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

I bought a ruger sp101 3" in 327 as soon as they came out as I was always a fan of the 32H&R and my father before me. He bought an H&R 504 in 32H&R as soon as H&R introduced the gun and cartridge in the 80s. Everyone disses the H&R guns, but that 504 is very accurate!
Anyways, I haven't loaded for the 327 yet, but my friend gave me a magazine with some loads in it a year or so ago. If I can find it I'll share it with you. I know I bought some AA#9 for the purpose of loading for the 327, but that's all I remember.

Back when we still had a shooting range in town, my wife and I went one day and took several guns. When I started shooting the 327, everyone had to stop and come see what kind of cannon I was shooting! Those Federal 100gr flat nose are no joke!

I've seen posts online where guys have killed deer with the ruger single seven in 327mag.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

I've read a lot of comments about the muzzle blast, flash and noise of the 327. Nonetheless it is still an interesting cartridge. I like the idea of loading the 327 case down a bit, to 32 H&R load level.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

FLINT wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:23 am I've seen posts online where guys have killed deer with the ruger single seven in 327mag.
Richard Mann has killed a number of them. I would not hesitate to poke a deer through the ribs with this gun. It is certainly accurate enough.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:22 am
FLINT wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:23 am I've seen posts online where guys have killed deer with the ruger single seven in 327mag.
Richard Mann has killed a number of them. I would not hesitate to poke a deer through the ribs with this gun. It is certainly accurate enough.
Interesting.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

In a small EDC revolver...(LCR, por exemplé) you would have the advantage of an extra shot. 6 instead of 5. :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Blaine wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:30 pm In a small EDC revolver...(LCR, por exemplé) you would have the advantage of an extra shot. 6 instead of 5. :idea:
I have one of those .327 LCRs. But I haven't shot it enough to be comfortable carrying it. The Gold Dot loading is certainly what I would carry on the street.