Headed to the border.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Headed to the border.

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I’m planning on traveling back to the border this week. I generally carry a rifle and wear a pistol as there’s no telling what I may get into. Not looking for trouble but things are different now. Thinking about which rifle? An AR? A Ruger Scout Rifle? Hmmm?

Nope, I’m taking my old saddle gun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Headed to the border.

Still shoots pretty good but I need to take a finer bead. Now to figure out what handgun to wear.

Should I carry a sixgun like this Colt?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Or perhaps the more practical Border Special?
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

“Daddy wouldn’t even walk from the living room into the dining room without Old Lucky in his waistband,”....frank hamer, jr.

Of course mister hamer was said to carry a colts super.38 as backup in his latter years so your 1911 will want to ride along too!
m.A.g.a. !
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

This 1911 is a Nighthawk Border Special designed in cooperation with my old friend Jim Wilson. It’s a really great shooter. This is from our last trip down there.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

30/30 and 45 Auto ought to get the job done, just try not to get into a gun battle!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Stay safe Scott. Any reasonable bandido would take one look at your armament and conclude that you are one hombré not to fool with. 8)
Say, do they have Border Patrol checkpoints in your neck o' the woods like we do here?
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

There are check stations on the blacktop roads leading from the border. But where I go you don’t see much at all. Since catch and release is the deal, I don’t know how they get to patrol much at all. I’m in no way intending to get crossways with anyone. Just looking around.

I’m not likely to run into anything more dangerous than a rattlesnake.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Scott, you remember the old Mayfield Store around Juno in Val Verde Cty? It was like a "Last chance" type place for beer and ammo and bait and such. Great place.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:07 am There are check stations on the blacktop roads leading from the border. But where I go you don’t see much at all. Since catch and release is the deal, I don’t know how they get to patrol much at all. I’m in no way intending to get crossways with anyone. Just looking around.

I’m not likely to run into anything more dangerous than a rattlesnake.
Snakes are boring! Id rather see a Texas Tortoise, Gila Monster or a Horned Toad..... :mrgreen: todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

You'll be looking a long ,long time before you find any wild Gilas in Texas.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

octagon wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:22 am Scott, you remember the old Mayfield Store around Juno in Val Verde Cty? It was like a "Last chance" type place for beer and ammo and bait and such. Great place.
I remember it well! Good times.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

From my end, it doesn't matter which one you choose. They are all classy, effective, and appropriate.
Just as important will be a sharp eye and a good piece of gun leather that allows a smooth draw.

Stay safe, sir.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

beautiful hardware. is there any gold to pan for? Dad never went anywhere without a pan... and, what's your boot gun and long knife? :)
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

and, what's your boot gun and long knife? :) .................good question Grizz..... :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Grizz wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:47 am beautiful hardware. is there any gold to pan for? Dad never went anywhere without a pan... and, what's your boot gun and long knife? :)
No gold that I know of. I've panned for gold in Alaska and got some color. But I never heard of gold out there. Mercury mines were common around Terlingua though.

Long knife? I generally don't carry a long knife these days, but a stout working knife like my Cold Steel SRK will make the trip. I also carry that Cold Steel shovel and an ax. I also don't generally carry a boot gun, but I am sure a J frame .22 magnum will make the trip.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

OldWin wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:25 am Just as important will be a sharp eye and a good piece of gun leather that allows a smooth draw.
That SAA is tempting as it is real comfortable and comforting in a cross draw holster, even in the Jeep.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:08 pm
OldWin wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:25 am Just as important will be a sharp eye and a good piece of gun leather that allows a smooth draw.
That SAA is tempting as it is real comfortable and comforting in a cross draw holster, even in the Jeep.
Absolutely! Any Six shooter I have with more than a 5.5" barrel gets carried cross draw.
Much easier in the Jeep or 4 wheeler. I also get an easier draw, as I'm a long armed galloot, so a long barrel is tough when strong side.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

since homeland secretary dorkus can't determine how many law breakers came across the border, I'd go with an America's Rifle 15 and the 1911'
Rumble.com/ hickock45
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

At least one of your firearms should be semi auto. With the criminal element allowed to walk in under biden's destruction of America campaign.
A Winchester rifle and a Colt 1911 would be my choice. Watch your Six!
Johnny
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

4t5 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:52 pm since homeland secretary dorkus can't determine how many law breakers came across the border, I'd go with an America's Rifle 15 and the 1911'
While I have a great deal of respect for the AR 15, I think I'll be fine with a good levergun. Where I am going, its unlikely that I will get into any trouble at all. I wouldn't go there if I thought I was going to war. Too old for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MXcL1F3OMs