Fooling with the 240 gr. XTP MAG bullet in my Rossi

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rickt300
Levergunner

Fooling with the 240 gr. XTP MAG bullet in my Rossi

Post by rickt300 »

This little 16 inch barreled Rossi in 45 Colt has been a good shooter, handy as heck and usually behind the seat of my truck. It has bumped off many trapped feral hogs and a few on the run as I walked up to the traps. The load usually has been 13 grains of Blue dot and a cast semi wadcutter 255 to 270 grains. This year I thought I might use it when I hunt Angelina National forest. I ordered some of the 240 gr. XTP Mag bullets a year ago intending them for a muzzleloader but went with a different bullet for it. I started at 23.0 grains of H110 popped by a CCI 350 magnum primer. Heavy crimp and size die set to bump the shell holder. Crappy loud, dirty and flashy load. Not very accurate either. Worked up through 25.0 grains and things started to settle down. Went to 27.0 grains and this seems to be the ticket. Good accuracy, pressure seems just fine. Wondering if I should go up a bit more? My guess at velocity is in the 1500 fps area. Is this enough to expand the supposedly tough Mag version XTP?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Fooling with the 240 gr. XTP MAG bullet in my Rossi

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Fap! Another guy havin' fun with his Rossi ... 8)
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Years ago I plunked a really big cut boar at a game farm with a 300gr XTP outta my Ruger carbine. Don't remember the load but it went clean through, expanded to about .75" and that piggy didn't go 20 yards.
I started working up loads for my Henry 41 mag. Close to 1800fps with lilgun. Then I remembered the XTPs had a velocity range so I called Hornaday. The tech said it wasn't designed for those velocities. But at hunting ranges I figure it would be fine not being a MAG XTP.
Only 1 way to find out- go shoot something! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
rickt300
Levergunner

Post by rickt300 »

Guess I could shoot some water jugs lined up. The cast load worked pretty good, fine perpetrator. Just wanted a bit more speed and to burn up the bullets I have laying around.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Lee lists 27.2 to 28.0 gr. of H110 Max giving 1500fps or so in 45 Colt for the 240gr. jacketed bullet - but only for Ruger and T/C in handguns.

I guess you could go a wee bit higher still, and see if accuracy improves.

What kinda critter are you planning to slay with that round?!
Seems like it would work for anything in North America......
(Or are ya just playin'? :D )

-Stretch
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I think that Mag bullet should expand just fine at that velocity. It was designed for magnum revolvers pushed hard, and you are pushing it harder than any revolver load I know of.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

QuickLoad thinks your 27 grain load should get you around 1750 fps out of that 16" bbl. That should do the job!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:45 am I think that Mag bullet should expand just fine at that velocity. It was designed for magnum revolvers pushed hard, and you are pushing it harder than any revolver load I know of.
454 casull can.