Boiling Potatoes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Boiling Potatoes

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Gotta ask. Has any one been camping near ocean and boiled taters in the salt water? It would save using drinking water when camping on desolate beaches. todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Boiling Potatoes

Post by gamekeeper »

Well I always add a little salt to the tater water but wouldn't sea water impart a wierd taste? Anyway I know what fish do in the water so I won't try it .. :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I'm not sure I would do that. There's a lot of nasty stuff in ocean water, particularly on the Gulf Coast.

https://www.caller.com/story/news/local ... 806883002/

https://www.noaa.gov/media-release/larg ... -of-mexico
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:30 pm I'm not sure I would do that. There's a lot of nasty stuff in ocean water, particularly on the Gulf Coast.
Never thought of that. Every time I peed into the coosa river I ultimately peed into someone's crab/maize/spud boil.....
m.A.g.a. !
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

I've boiled lobster's and crab's with corn on the cob in salt water before.
We have very good water quality here in Maine.
I don't think I would boil taters in salt water unless I had to.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Living organisms would die during the boiling. Toxins may or may not be destroyed, although I'd doubt that in most areas anything highly toxic would be also highly concentrated enough that enough would leach into the potatoes to cause a problem. I'd defer to those who've done it and/or studied it if they have opinions to the contrary, though.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

WellSir...you know what low tide smells like.... :o :o :lol:
Why not quarter them and roast with butter in tin foil?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Boiled in salt water would likely be unpalatable. Ignoring and potential contaminated (these will concentrate as some of the water boils off) the taters would likely be rather nasty tasting.

I suppose you could pickle a potato in a high enough brine concentration and with enough time. But I suspect not even a billy goat would eat it.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Todd, taters are cheap enough. Why don't you experiment and report? I would if I were closer to saltwater. No such article here in the Tularosa Basin -- just brackish.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Blaine, have done that alot, but always forget to bring or buy tin foil when on my winter sojourns! Todd/3leg
Last edited by 3leggedturtle on Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:54 am Todd, taters are cheap enough. Why don't you experiment and report? I would if I were closer to saltwater. No such article here in the Tularosa Basin -- just brackish.
Bill, I plan on it, but I always like to hear from people that have already have done it. Brass .410 and 32 gauges cases are still out of stock BTW.

Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

From one of those "foodie" t.v. channel websites.....

In-shell seafood like crab, lobster and clams are the best candidates for seawater cooking. Crawfish and other edible freshwater crustaceans also work well. Mix a small amount of boiled seawater with fresh water for cooking other items that might absorb too much salt from pure seawater cooking. For example, you can boil potatoes in a mixture of one part seawater to three or four parts fresh water.
m.A.g.a. !
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

My son, recently killed, used to boil crabs in sea water. He liked the way they tasted.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS