Closure, finally ...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Closure, finally ...

Post by Bill in Oregon »

After 53 years and two weeks ...
Idaho
By News Team
September 21, 2021 10:40 AM
Published September 21, 2021 10:50 AM

Remains recovered of bow hunter who went missing in 1968

LEMHI COUNTY, Idaho (KIFI) - The Lemhi County Sheriff's Office recovered the remains of a bow hunter who went missing in 1968.

39-year-old Raymond Jones of Salmon was bow hunting for a mountain goat in the east fork of Hayden Creek when he was last seen on Sept. 7, 1968. The next afternoon, Lemhi County Sheriff Bill Baker was called to the camp as Jones had not returned.

On Sept. 9, 1968, an official search was initiated and lasted for several days. The search was hampered by foul weather, and Jones was never located.

On Sept. 17, 2021 at about 4 p.m., the Lemhi County Sheriff's Office received a call from a bow hunter who was hunting in the east fork of Hayden Creek. The hunter was seeking a shortcut from one hunting area to another when he found human remains and contacted the sheriff's office.

Due to the lack of remaining daylight and ruggedness of the terrain, recovery efforts began on the morning of Sept. 18.

During the recovery effort, sheriff deputies found the remains and wallet which contained identification indicating this was indeed Jones.

Officials say next of kin has been notified.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Re: Closure, finally ...

Post by AmBraCol »

Makes one wonder about cause of death. Glad they were able to finally close the case.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

AmBraCol wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:11 am Makes one wonder about cause of death. Glad they were able to finally close the case.
Why covid 19 of course
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:17 am
AmBraCol wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:11 am Makes one wonder about cause of death. Glad they were able to finally close the case.
Why covid 19 of course

Bravo Gunny! Bra-vo. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Got to thinking that his parents, siblings and wife likely all died not knowing his fate. Sad.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Seems that it's often hunters that stumble across human remains, pursuit of game takes you where no-one else would venture.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

All jokes aside, its a very sad thing. Did he fall and break a leg, dying a slow dehydration death, fall and break his neck, mauled by a bear or mountain lion, heck it could have been suicide for all we know. The sad thing is like Bill said- his family never knew. Whats really amazing is his wallet didn't disintegrate after 52 years!
May he rest in peace!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I'm glad that this mystery was finally solved.

I joke with my wife all the time about there not being a body for her to bury as they won't ever find mine!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Thankfully our local opossum and carp constables now have larry the bassett hound. He has found every late and or missing hunter that he has been tasked to find. There have been more than a few fatalities.....falls from tree stands, accidental gunshots, strokes/heart attacks, etc but he has saved many lives.

The warden unleashes him at the hunter's vehicle and he snuffs about and takes a wiz on a tire (they have never been able to break him of that) then he leads the searcher(s) directly to the body, living or otherwise. No matter how far or convoluted the trail....across rills or through swamps, larry never falters. Larry being so short-legged, the warden can usually keep-up and often has to help him over obstacles.

Larry is getting older and now tires easily. His spawn out of beagle dams (to make them a bit longer-legged) are in training and will be equipped with cell phone mounted collars. The warden, on his own phone can see in real time what the hound is seeing and can communicate with the hunter if living and conscious/lucid. They also have mini-drones to deploy in conjunction with the hounds....
m.A.g.a. !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Just spoke with my uncle in Idaho, he said he read about this a few days ago. Also said 'thats real God's country ' . Salmon Idaho... hmm didn't some famous gun guy live there? :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

NAH Gunny I don't think so.....but them boys do wear BIG HATS! Pretty good with six shooters too...so I have heard :wink:
Glad they found the remains, but ya gotta wonder what happened to him.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I've been on a bunch of those calls, always sad, prayers sent for his family... :(