For love of the 357 mag

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

For love of the 357 mag

Post by wvfarrier »

I found this article today and really enjoyed it.

https://alaskagunsite.wordpress.com/201 ... 57-magnum/
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: For love of the 357 mag

Post by OldWin »

Good article. My son often carries one on Kodiak. That, or a 94 carbine e in 30-30.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

The 357 just might be my favorite chambering in a handgun.

357 revolvers can handle anything from a mild 38 Special load to
a VERY stout hunting load. They're also easier to carry than say,
a Redhawk.

The same can be said for the 44 Magnum revolver - it can use a mild 44 Special
load up to loadings capable of taking anything that walks the earth.

All 4 cartridges mentioned here are easy to reload, too. Components and recipes
are common, as is loaded ammunition.

Great article. I was unaware that people used 357s successfully as backup
guns while hunting brown bear. ANYTHING that can turn a charging Alaskan
bruin impresses the hell out of me! :D

Good to keep in mind that shot placement is paramount with any cartridge.
Only hits count......

-Stretch
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

In the midwest, a 357 Mag levergun and revolver would do for most any need.

In bear country, I'd probably pick 45 Colt if all the guns were available in all the chamberings.

I'd take a 16" levergun and a Ruger Redhawk in that.

44 Mag would do just as well though.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Steve in MO
Levergunner

Post by Steve in MO »

I gained a greater appreciation for the .357 through reading Skeeter, Jim Taylor and Paco. Practically speaking, it will do everything one needs it to do.
"When the shooting stops, and the dead are buried, and the politicians take over; it all adds up to one thing: a lost cause."
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I love a .357, particularly in an old model Ruger Blackhawk. Seems to be the perfect match. I carry a .357 Magnum on my hip every day and am wearing a .357 revolver as I type this.

However, I question some of the conclusions in the article when the author says that the .357 can be just as effective as a .44 magnum. It can be made to penetrate like nobody's business with a hard cast 180 gr WFN, but I do not think it is as effective on game as a heavy loaded .44 Special.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

It can be made to penetrate like nobody's business with a hard cast 180 gr WFN, but I do not think it is as effective on game as a heavy loaded .44 Special.
That might be the only disadvantage of the 357 compared to the 44 - the 44 mag makes a bigger hole.
'Course, it needs more power to make that big hole with the same wound channel depth as the 357.

-Stretch
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:23 am I love a .357, particularly in an old model Ruger Blackhawk. Seems to be the perfect match. I carry a .357 Magnum on my hip every day and am wearing a .357 revolver as I type this.

However, I question some of the conclusions in the article when the author says that the .357 can be just as effective as a .44 magnum. It can be made to penetrate like nobody's business with a hard cast 180 gr WFN, but I do not think it is as effective on game as a heavy loaded .44 Special.
I think he was comparing the 357 BB to standard 44 Mag loads.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Great web site. Great, high quality info. Great links.

thanks for the post !!!!!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

What Grizz said. I did not know Marshall Stanton had lived in the Rogue Valley of southern Oregon, where I spent most of my life. No denying his experience with the 180-grain hard-cast load.
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

Thank you! Great article. Reminds me of one of Francis Sells article on common sense deer rifles. Along the same lines where he spoke about the priority of bullet placement.
Cartridges' thought to be too small for deer in the magnum times are ones he recommended. I have had 357's in the past and am currently without one. Might have to remedy that....
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Back in the 80's and 90''s .357 leverguns were very popular for deer in my neck of the woods with public land hunters. The well heeled had their leases and towers and shooting houses and 400 yd.+ food-plot shot opportunities but the proletariat often chose leveractions and especially the tube capacities and lesser recoil of pistol cartridge ones.

Those who knew anything of ballistics chose the various factory 158 gr. jacketed softnoses primarily with some using hollowpoints of the same weight and a rare few choosing the 180 gr. federal or remington offering. The problem was availability. The average .357 toting nimrod would go shopping for a fresh box of ammunition just before the gun season opener and would have to settle for what was available.

Thusly it followed that many deer were slain with 110, 125 and 145 (sillvertip) ammunition that was supposedly less than ideal for 150 lb. whitetail. The ballistically unlearned hunters never knew the difference and apparently nor did the poor beasts. Of particular commonality was the ubiquitous, yellow boxed rem/u.m.c. 125 gr. jsp. These were quite popular due to their availability at wally world and the price point. They clocked 2000+ fps. and simply snatched the souls out of deer with broadside neck, shoulder, armpit and ribcage hits. The users were unread enough to not to rue the absence of an exit wound. They simply did not understand that their ammunition choices were inadequate.

Also mind, like 90+ % of deer hunters, these folk used jacketed bullets and had never heard of veral smith.....back then I chose the 160 gr. g.c. thompson bullet over a compressed load of accurate #9 but it did not kill any better than a factory 158 gr. jsp/jhp....or even the 125 gr. umc load.
m.A.g.a. !
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Ray wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:06 am Thusly it followed that many deer were slain with 110, 125 and 145 (sillvertip) ammunition that was supposedly less than ideal for 150 lb. whitetail. The ballistically unlearned hunters never knew the difference and apparently nor did the poor beasts. Of particular commonality was the ubiquitous, yellow boxed rem/u.m.c. 125 gr. jsp. These were quite popular due to their availability at wally world and the price point. They clocked 2000+ fps. and simply snatched the souls out of deer with broadside neck, shoulder, armpit and ribcage hits. The users were unread enough to not to rue the absence of an exit wound. They simply did not understand that their ammunition choices were inadequate.

Also mind, like 90+ % of deer hunters, these folk used jacketed bullets and had never heard of veral smith.....back then I chose the 160 gr. g.c. thompson bullet over a compressed load of accurate #9 but it did not kill any better than a factory 158 gr. jsp/jhp....or even the 125 gr. umc load.
I have often thought that I could get by quite well with the Federal 158 gr JSP loading for everything I shoot. But I must admit a fondness for heavy bullets in the .357. In a carbine, it seems to really turn on with 180 gr XTP or WFNGC bullets.

Ray's point is well taken. We shot a lot of deer with an old .30 carbine before we learned that it was not enough cartridge to do such a thing with. The deer we shot were apparently ignorant of the fact as well becasue they would just lay down and die if you put a 110 gr soft point through their chests.

Frankly, for thick brush or woody country, I prefer a short, light rifle. My old Trapper SRC in .30-30 is a good one, so is the Rossi. I'm looking forward to trying my .44 Special 1873 this year simply because the cartridge has worked so well for me in revolvers and I think it might be just the ticket for deer and hogs on my place.