Best Bullet for Shooting... Pumpkins???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Best Bullet for Shooting... Pumpkins???

Post by Old No7 »

It was only a matter of time before we saw this new flavor................

Old No7

Pumpkin Ammo.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Best Bullet for Shooting... Pumpkins???

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Just some free advice about shooting pumpkins. They seem to have a lot of hollow space in them. If you cut a small hole and fill them up with liquid (orange soda) they respond much better to being shot.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

In college I worked on a farm mostly driving tractors. Grew many kinds of potatoes and many varieties of pumpkins. Such a farm must surely have a potato gun and we had a big one, also worked well with pumpkins...
Launched a big spud at a 55g barrel once at about 30 yards from the hip and dented the barrel 3" deep! Never ran out of ammo.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:42 pm Just some free advice about shooting pumpkins. They seem to have a lot of hollow space in them. If you cut a small hole and fill them up with liquid (orange soda) they respond much better to being shot.
.....instead of orange soda....try Tannerite... :twisted:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:23 pm
Scott Tschirhart wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:42 pm Just some free advice about shooting pumpkins. They seem to have a lot of hollow space in them. If you cut a small hole and fill them up with liquid (orange soda) they respond much better to being shot.
.....instead of orange soda....try Tannerite... :twisted:
Oooh, I like both of those ideas! :wink:

What started off as humor -- is now a project!!!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

It is such a shame that the Gateway Dynamite Shoot in CO is no more. This tannerite stuff looks interesting, never heard of it before, thanks for educating me Doc. Might be worth buying some in the future. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

CowboyTutt wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:10 pm It is such a shame that the Gateway Dynamite Shoot in CO is no more. This tannerite stuff looks interesting, never heard of it before, thanks for educating me Doc. Might be worth buying some in the future. -Tutt
Oh it's FUN....!

BUT watch for shrapnel so choose your targets carefully.
Three small cans placed in one hole of a 12" concrete block at 100 yards pelted the roof we were under with a couple golfball-sized chunks.

Best target was a front-end-loader-built 'snowman' (more like a 10 ft pyramid with a 5-gallon bucket sized 'head' we rolled up the side); dug a hole in the side to the middle with a post hole digger, angled so we could shoot right down the hole from the range bench. Used the post hole digger to shove a red plastic coffee can filled with Tannerite and duct-taped shut to the deep end of the hole..

Shot it with a suppressed 223 so the blast wouldn't be drowned out, and the 'snowman' was pretty much flattened... 8)
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Thanks Old Friend and most of all for what you do medically. The CO Dynamite shoot involved actual soda cans of dynamite and involved the local fire department at very long range, even extreme range. It was epic.

This tannerite stuff can restore the days of target shooting glory maybe.

Thanks for what you do around here. My Mom and Sister took the "horse version' of Ivermectin with no problems with a correct dosage. Mom considering risk factors and being vaxed. Digressing, but thanks Pard. I appreciate what you do here a lot as a physician, it means a lot. Your firearms posts too. Keep up the good work.

Regards,

-Tutt aka Andy
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Yeah, I had just put together a 6.5-284 to use at the CO Dynamite shoot and then it was cancelled!!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Yeah, I had just put together a 6.5-284 to use at the CO Dynamite shoot and then it was cancelled!!
That would have been a truly rockin' cartridge. Sorry to hear that. Always welcome to hear from a fellow 284 Wildcatter!

-Tutt

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Poor old Pumpkins, very few ever make it as far as the dining table... :cry:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Ammo and component cost being what it is, I don't see me shooting a lot of pumpkins. :D
While I wouldn't be surprised if this was a factory offering, I'd think a little less of Winchester.

Now to go fill my Jeep with the new pumpkin spice super unleaded.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well pumpkins aren't considered a dangerous species so a .22 is plenty but an air cannon sending them down range would be a great thing to watch. Sadly the days of punkin chunkin are probably over thanks to chicom flu!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

CowboyTutt wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:34 pm Thanks Old Friend and most of all for what you do medically. The CO Dynamite shoot involved actual soda cans of dynamite and involved the local fire department at very long range, even extreme range. It was epic.

This tannerite stuff can restore the days of target shooting glory maybe.

Thanks for what you do around here. My Mom and Sister took the "horse version' of Ivermectin with no problems with a correct dosage. Mom considering risk factors and being vaxed. Digressing, but thanks Pard. I appreciate what you do here a lot as a physician, it means a lot. Your firearms posts too. Keep up the good work.

Regards,

-Tutt aka Andy
I just saw this post - you're welcome...! I've been working about 80 hours per week, which I'm WAAAY to old to do, since my N.P. left for greener pastures, so I miss alot. The 'horse' stuff (paste, injection, and 'drench') is hard to measure accurately unless you use the injectable, and I would NOT inject myself with that, but HAVE taken it orally. It isn't "recommended" but when lives are at stake you may climb out the window in a house fire on a 'rope' made of extension cords and bedsheets, instead of an OSHA-approved climbing rope.

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Thanks Doc, this guy has it pretty well figured out for a safe dosage taken orally on an empty stomach with 8 ounces of water. The price of Ivermectin is skyrocketing, even the "horse version". Apparently the general public is not being fooled thank God! My Mom and sister took it (horse paste) both ways, on an empty stomach and after eating. No problem for either. Very safe drug. Obviously, if you can get a prescription from a doctor, and Front Line Doctors is a pretty good source, that would be better, but its a very safe and forgiving drug that won the Nobel Prize for its efficacy and safety. This guys methods allow for more accurate dosage of the horse paste.

https://www.maximpulse.com/permethrin/i ... -dose.html

-Tutt

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Paul Harrel filled pumpkins up with Orange soda. They blew up better that way especially with varmint type bullets. Hornady had Zombie bullets so guess this isnt to far off.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

There was a guy that made bullets from cut down magnum cases, turned the belt down to .510, and filled with shot, then formed bullets. Kind of like a glazer safety slug. Said it would turn a coyote into pink mist @ 600yds when shot out of his 50bmg bolt gun. Bet that wouldn't leave much of the pumpkin intact, if any.

Hmmm, wonder how that would work out of my 50 alaskan????