Time Travel Revisited

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Time Travel Revisited

Post by 765x53 »

I sometimes feel I've come unstuck in time like Peter Pilgrim.
During one of those episodes, I was contemplating that my next birthday I will be the same age as my Dad when he passed away.
I began thinking of things I remember clearly from my childhood and what my Dad could have remembered from his.
He would have been ten when the Rough Riders stormed Kettle Hill, probably why TR was a hero to him.
When he was seven or eight, judge Parker was hanging IT desperados like Cherokee Bill.
Geronimo was touring with Buffalo Bill when he was a teen.
As a young man Pershing was chasseing Poncho Villa.
I have his WWI draft card, 4A, exempt for a vital occupation. The only veterinarian in two counties.
He saw an unimaginable amount of change from 1888 to 1963.
Some say we have seen change in our lives but I don't believe to that degree.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Time Travel Revisited

Post by AJMD429 »

A friend's grandpa lived from 1871 to 1970; clear-headed enough to understand the moon landing and good enough memory he could just barely remember as a kid being told to go up in the mountains with his older siblings and stay until their parents came to get them. They were Ojibwe indians and lived near a village of whites they were afraid might come to exact revenge after hearing Custer was killed at Bighorn. He was born when there were no cars no radios no telephones no airplanes....yet lived to see the first moon landing...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

All 4 of my Grandparents read about Orville and Wilbur Wright and their flight. 3 of the 4 saw Neil Armstrong walking on the moon. All 4 lived through 2 World Wars. All 4 saw electricity come to our part of the Country as part of the WPA. All 4 remembered when hot and cold running water was a new idea. They all 4 could hitch up a horse and buggy as well as drive one. Only 2 of the 4 ever had a drivers license.
They saw a bunch of changes from their births in the 1890s to their deaths. One died in a car wreck in 1958. One died of a blood clot that started in a calf in 1972. One died on the 4th or 5th heart attack in 1982. The last died of cancer in 1985.

The things they saw during their lives are just amazing.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

My grandmother, ships on sail at Newcastle harbor, to Armstrong the man on the moon.

She died of cancer.

Regards Mark
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

jim_hardy.jpg
Jim Hardy ... 1975 at 100 years of age .. Cave Creek, AZ

I was privileged to know and hang around with Jim Hardy. He was born in 1875 and died in 1978. He was definitely a "time traveler" coming from the horse and buggy days of the Old West to the Space Age. He was with Black Jack Pershing chasing Pancho Villa, fought in the Spanish American War, fought the Moros in the Philippines, and fought in WW1.

In the photo he is riding on a saddle that he stripped to the tree and rebuilt completely himself, just the year before. He took his last deer just two years before this and ran a trapline taking coyotes and bobcats until he was 97.

I count it a real honor to have known him.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Now that's great. How many of us will be able to fork a horse at 100 years old?

Getting back to time travel, I find it interesting that this is one of the ideas that we keep going back to over and over again in books and movies. There must be something about this that really speaks to the human spirit.

I still vividly remember a story I read in a men's magazine (back when they had men's magazines, and I am not talking about something with photos of nekkid ladies) of a time traveler that was going back to hunt a dinosaur with a Winchester Model 70 in .458 Win Mag. As I recall, it did not end well.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I think about this too. When I was a kid, grade school era, I thought 1921 was a long long time ago and 1917 was forever ago. My grand kids are going to think that 1945 was a long long time ago, and their kids are going to think that 2021 was a long long time ago. should the LORD continue to tarry ;)
Steve in MO
Levergunner

Post by Steve in MO »

My 8 y/o granddaughters already think my wife and I (we're both 51) are ancient!

They can't wrap their heads around the fact that we didn't have car seats, cell phones, cable TV, or Netflix when we were little. Of course, their kids will think we were living in the Stone Age, but I think every generation feels that way about the previous generations, at least for a while.

I told my kids I'm planning on living to be 100 years old, just to annoy them. :P Really, it's just the history guy in me that wants to see what the difference between 1969 and 2069 will be.
"When the shooting stops, and the dead are buried, and the politicians take over; it all adds up to one thing: a lost cause."
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:26 am I still vividly remember a story I read in a men's magazine (back when they had men's magazines, and I am not talking about something with photos of nekkid ladies) of a time traveler that was going back to hunt a dinosaur with a Winchester Model 70 in .458 Win Mag. As I recall, it did not end well.
I have always wanted to hunt a dinosaur. The closest you can get to it these days is the Komodo Dragons in Indonesia. The problem is that now they are protected and don't allow anyone to hunt them.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I wonder how susceptible a dinosaur would be to a bullet? Seems to me that snakes and lizards get messed up pretty good with about any good hit. But a bigger critter like a T-Rex, I wonder if he would soak up lead very well?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:40 pm I wonder how susceptible a dinosaur would be to a bullet? Seems to me that snakes and lizards get messed up pretty good with about any good hit. But a bigger critter like a T-Rex, I wonder if he would soak up lead very well?
It would be interesting to find out.
From a distance, of course. :lol:
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

I read the same story Scott is talking about. Been a few years ago. IIRC the guy hunting fell off an elevated path he was supposed to stay on. When he got back, there was a dead butterfly stuck to the bottom of one boot.

End result was like when he left, Trump was in office, and when he got back Hilliary was.