Browning 1886 SRC

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Browning 1886 SRC

Post by Ray Newman »

Colleagues: I have a Browning 1886 Saddle Ring Carbine, 45-70.

Anyone know what weight bullet Browning regulated the sights for? The local range SWAG (Scientific Wild Arsed Guesses) are the 405 and "I dunno."
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Re: Browning 1886 SRC

Post by KirkD »

I have one of those and got tired of eyeballing the elevation for the 405 grain cast bullets I shoot, but I love the carbine, so I installed a tang peep sight from Montana Vintage Arms https://montanavintagearms.com/product/ ... mbo-sight/ The sight is of excellent quality and I can adjust it for both 405 grain cast bullets as well as 500 grain cast bullets.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Mine was moderately close with 400 gr @ whatever factory level velocity was, but I put a Lyman 56 receiver sight on it as soon as I was able.

They have a pinned front sight blade, so it would be relatively simple to make a new one and zero it for whatever load one wanted to use.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Gents: thanks for your comments. Only bullets I now have are Berry's copper plated lead, 350 grain. So just might be worthwhile to give them a try.

Thought about either a tang or a receiver sight, but I just don't want to drill and tap. Would like to keep it "as is." Again, thanks.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I use a 300 grain, gas checked, cast bullet over AA5744 in my Browning 86 SRC and I have the Lyman receiver sight dialed in for it. Also the barrel has been shortened by 3 inches to make the whole thing the same length as a 94 SRC. Super n handy that way. It wears an old leather sling too.
Last edited by M. M. Wright on Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Not a Browning, but a Miroku/Winchester 1886 TD .45-90 WCF with 26 inch full octagon barrel. This the 45-90 86er used in Africa testing a variety of bullets on tough game.
Does your sight fit like this? IN order to get the sight to fit properly so that it will lock in the down position and out of the way when using the barrel sight, 86er removed wood from the forward tip of the comb and refinished the wood. Just right now where I can use it or the folding barrel sight:

Both sights are Marbles. From experience (mine and 86er) I can say that the tang is helpful for a fine bead on a small object (such as a leopard) or distant object but the barrel sight is great on bison and cape buffalo.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

PS Ray, my 1886 .45-90 (.458 2.4) shoots bullets from 300 grains to 450 grains very well. In fact much of the game I have shot in the USA was with factory Winchester 300 grain Nosler PP. The same bullet loaded up a bit in 45-90 case to 2200 fps also terminated this big male leopard to end its goat-eating days.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

CRS, I fired it one time before it became yours. That is a nice rifle.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Ray Newman wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:37 pm
Thought about either a tang or a receiver sight, but I just don't want to drill and tap. Would like to keep it "as is." Again, thanks.
I had a Browning 86 rifle before the carbines came out. I was hesitant to drill it for a sling or receiver sight. Dragging it around in the hills one day I managed to drop it on a loose rocky slope, it cartwheeled nicely a time or two before sliding to a stop downslope. Scratched it up nicely, and it wouldnt have happened with a sling. Screw it. Its getting drilled for sling mounts,...may as well put good sights on it.....the user friendly ratio went up significantly. I LIKED it more. I shot some heavy 500 gr loads (500@1750fps), the crescent was never a favorite of mine, but its murder with heavy loads, pulled the stock off and sent it to a guy to chop the crescent off and put a flat red Winchester pad on it. Finally its nice to shoot. Dang those things are long dragging through the thick brush up in grizzly country, I think Ill chop 4" off the barrel,....Yes, an 1886 22" short rifle, very nice now.

Not too long after that the carbines came out. I came into one. I ditched the sling (saddle) ring, set about drilling and tapping it for a Lyman 56 sight, sling mounts, and later had the barrel cut to 20". I regret exactly none of it, all modifications enhanced my use and enjoyment of the gun, and I dont plan to sell it, so i dont care about any perceived monetary loss. I want my guns to work for me and with me, not leave me wishing it was different. Very few of my guns last long in 100% original factory condition.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ray...I have a bunch of those Remington 405s that will never get used. Do you want a dozen or two for trying out?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Blaine: thanks. I'll try the Berry 350 grain bullets first, then take you up on your offer -- if I need to. Again thanks.

Getting time for a lunch again??
Last edited by Ray Newman on Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Malamute

my browning seemed to like 460 cast performance, but it's a closet gun and doesn't get out much and have never chrono'd the load.

i don't use a sling in bear country because i don't my wife getting a telegram telling her that her husband was eaten because his gun was lashed to his back. :lol: My solution to the dropped gun issue is to tightly tape the muzzle with electrical tape. It is also an aid in finding the front sight because of the contrast between the tape and the stainless barrel.

my guide gun is one of the best shooting guns i have, and i have often thought i could improve it as a skiff gun by cutting the barrel to 16.25. BUT the crazy thing shoots so well that I am skeerd it might be indelibly damaged. It sure would be much handier for the boat and the guard timber. so, i look at it, think about it, and put it back by the stove till next time.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Grizz wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:31 pm Malamute

my browning seemed to like 460 cast performance, but it's a closet gun and doesn't get out much and have never chrono'd the load.

i don't use a sling in bear country because i don't my wife getting a telegram telling her that her husband was eaten because his gun was lashed to his back. :lol: My solution to the dropped gun issue is to tightly tape the muzzle with electrical tape. It is also an aid in finding the front sight because of the contrast between the tape and the stainless barrel.

my guide gun is one of the best shooting guns i have, and i have often thought i could improve it as a skiff gun by cutting the barrel to 16.25. BUT the crazy thing shoots so well that I am skeerd it might be indelibly damaged. It sure would be much handier for the boat and the guard timber. so, i look at it, think about it, and put it back by the stove till next time.
I always carry in hand,..except when in places I need both hands to negotiate loose rocky slopes, climb rocks, lift the dog over a ledge, or do something that otherwise requires two hands, like answering the call of nature. Sometimes in thick stuff I take the sling off, but its mostly there ready to hang the gun over my shoulder muzzle down if I need both hands.

Tape on the muzzle is OK for some things, but doesnt help the barrel and other parts from getting scratched and beat of when dropped in loose rocks and such.

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Blaine,
The .458 405 grain bullets that you sold me are now being loaded and shot in this Beretta 45-70 DR and they are accurate AND they regulate at 1600 fps into a two inch group.

Good enough for hunting now, but I may tinker with other loads too.

Thanks for the bullets.
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Stevie »

Ray Newman wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:48 pm Colleagues: I have a Browning 1886 Saddle Ring Carbine, 45-70.

Anyone know what weight bullet Browning regulated the sights for? The local range SWAG (Scientific Wild Arsed Guesses) are the 405 and "I dunno."
I own one of those!...Mine shoots quite well with 300gr jacketed soft points and rather well with the old Lee 405gr lead hollowbase bullets loaded light....also does fine with some 350gr lead bullets I bought from Buffalo Arms. This with the factory supplied sights. I did load a few Speer 400gr bullets but seating the bullets to the crimp groove and the bullet ogive hits the rifling on the short throated Browning carbine....I have some short 'leverlution' .45-70 brass that would probably work with the 400gr Speer bullets but have not tried them yet...

I also own a couple old trapdoor Springfields so I keep my reloads in the 'trapdoor' range of reloading data
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Morning coffee, in camp with friends.
IMG_1315 coffee.jpg

Out for a hike with the dogs, bite marks and grizzly hair in the tree.
IMG_0069.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Tape on the muzzle is OK for some things, but doesnt help the barrel and other parts from getting scratched and beat of when dropped in loose rocks and such.
This is why my 86 lives indoors in a warm kennel . . .