Dual caliber reloading

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Dual caliber reloading

Post by wvfarrier »

I have been pondering this for a couple days. If you are reloading for a dual caliber revolver (ruger blackhawk, korth, s&w etc), say 9mm and 357 do you always use the larger diameter projectile as opposed to the smaller? 45 lc and 45 acp are only have a .001 difference but 9mm and 357 have a .002 difference. So which way do you go?
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Dual caliber reloading

Post by 44shooter »

in that case I suggest going for larger bullets in 9x19 as practical. I'm pretty the the barrel is standard spec for 357/38 and probably a bit oversize for 9x19. Otoh I would probably load 357/38 for the Ruger and just shoot whatever 9mm I had for other pistols whether store bought or Hand loaded. i don't think you are going to get top accuracy in nine mm unless you go to bigger bullets or perhaps use a lead bullet that may expand at the base to fill the grooves.

A 45 or 40/10mm/38-40 convertible I wouldn't worry about it as bullet diameters among the cartridges are the same or neglibly different. A 44 mag or spec/44-40 I would probably go for .429 or .430 bullets in both cylinders
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Just my thoughts. The Medusa Revolver had a decent reputation for accuracy with .38 Special and .357 Mag, but 9mm was not anything to brag about. From what I have read, the 9mm bullets when recovered did not show much rifling pressed into the bullet. Perhaps handloading some dedicated 9mm rounds using. 357 Mag 125 grain bullets might give better accuracy in a revolver like a Medusa or a Ruger Blackhawk with the two cylinders. I would not want to use them in a 9mm semiauto. My guess is that there could be some pressure issues doing that.
Yes, the .451 bullets for a .45 Short Colt Auto and the .452 bullets for the .45 Long Colt give basically the same accuracy out of a Blackhawk with the 2 cylinders for the .45.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Using larger .357" bullets in a 9mm case may result in the rounds not chambering. Before you decide to use the larger bullets to reload for 9mm make one up and test fit it in all chambers. Most times people shoot the 9mm with .355" bullets, and just have less accuracy in these dual cartridge handguns.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

did Ranchdog or someone cast a 1-bullet solution? it was supposed to feed from revolvers and autos with something like reliable utility, or perhaps I made the whole thing up?

as far as lightly engraved 9mm, would it hurt to size up a thousandth, and shoot it in all the other firearms?

@Marlinman, revolver chamber sizes can be an issue. My redhawk has undersized chambers that swage the bullet diameter to less than bore size. something that needs fixing.

so in the 9mm case, would relieving the chamber size make any sense? it's something I learned from Marshall Stanton about accurizing revolvers. his before and after targets are stunning. he combined the chamber sizing with honing the bore to accurize his gun... his chambers allow the bullet to be pushed thru with thumb pressure.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

FWIW Hornady makes or at least has made .356 bullets intended for 38 Super that might help. I agree chamber mouth honing may be beneficial or even necessary if you truly want to use a .357-.358 bullet. You maybe able to taper crimp revolver bullets from 110-140 grains. Of course no roll crimps since the mouth is what stops the 9mm from going too far in the cylinder. And using a 357 seating stem may help a lot.

Honestly I'd just consider it a 357/38 that can fire 9x19 and shoot whatever auto cartridge I use for other guns or could get cheap. I don't think these bigger bullet 9mm loads are going to be suitable for other firearms and if you modify your chambers accuracy may be even worse with 9mm spec ammo. It's a utility cylinder after all.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Pillar, that Medusa revolver was not something I had heard about. I had to look it up and found a video on it. Conversion kits on the H & K Mark 4 semi-auto look to be more accurate but the process of changing calibers looks to be a PITA. Modern duel cylinder single action revolvers seem to be the best way to go if you ask me. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Shooting 9mm through the .357 barrel will work OK for normal use. Don't worry over a couple thousandths of an inch. That's like trying to figure out how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Undersize bullets will work OK for practical shooting. I have demonstrated this by putting a .44 Magnum cylinder in my Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt and firing full house .44 Magnums down the .45 bore. You are talking more than a couple thousandths difference. At 25 yards or so the shots stayed inside 8 inches without trying too hard.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

If the 9mm bullets are the common jacketed bullets, then there's not much issue shooting them in a .357" barrel, as they wont lead up. But if you're casting for 9mm it could result in leaded up barrel if you shoot .355" in it.

As for revolver chambers, and forcing cones, they can vary greatly! I've seen revolvers with chambers larger than the forcing cone, that shaved lead just transitioning from chamber to barrel. At one time Brownells sold a kit to open up tight forcing cones on revolvers, which often turned poor shooting revolvers into extremely accurate revolvers. Problem was some people over did it, and ruined their barrels too.
A chamber opened up slightly might make a larger bullet seated in a 9mm work better, but also might result in issues with the forcing cone if it's not large enough. So if someone opened up chambers, they'd also need to check the forcing cone to be sure they didn't create more problems. I personally wouldn't open up the chambers, as it's more likely both the 9mm and the .38 Specials would both shoot worse once that was done.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The standard question in philosophy is 65 angels dancing on the head of a pin - discuss. So that would be the starting point in the formal discipline.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Old Savage wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:41 am The standard question in philosophy is 65 angels dancing on the head of a pin - discuss. So that would be the starting point in the formal discipline.
From the angels I have seen, that would be a huge pin!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

They don’t specify.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...