Any Herter's fans here?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Any Herter's fans here?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

When I was a high school lad I absolutely devoured the Herter's catalog. I bought my first pipe -- the "World Famous Angler's Model," with tobacco -- from Herter's, along with his Bull Cook cookbook. Dad even managed to order my first real deer rifle -- a Marlin 336 .30-30 -- through the mail from Herter's just before the Gun Control Act of 1968 took effect.
Here is a fond remembrance of the man behind the first real outdoor gear retailer in the world.

https://www.startribune.com/herter-s-ca ... 291167741/
TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Any Herter's fans here?

Post by TWHBC »

Thanks for posting the article! Loved his catalog, and his writing style!
Definitely had a knack with words and promotion style, world famous!
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Loved the old Herter's catalog, vast assortment of gunstocks, gear and so on.
I noticed there are some herters shotgun shells around (current production), although I've read they are made in another country and aren't worth a stuff.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Herter's is just a name nowadays, but back in the '50's and '60's it was the Midway USA and Gander Mountain of its time. The catalog was a feast of entertaining and informative articles, and some pretty good stuff for sale.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I still have two Herter's presses mounted to my loading bench and the powder measure I use is a Herter's Model Perfect. Bought a lot of stuff "order one out and try it".
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
fatboy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by fatboy »

Yup, still use the scale I bought in the Olympia, Wa. store after I returned from RVN.
Bob
DadsMod12
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DadsMod12 »

I remember my dad used to buy from Herter's. I loved their catalog. I remember one winter when I was 7 or 8 we had a lot of deep snow; okay, probably not that deep. The next winter I asked for snow shoes for Christmas. In the catalog they looked black, when they arrived they were red. I loved them, but we never got more than 2" of snow for the next several years.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

When I was a kid, my dad wanted to start reloading for
30-30. He didn't have much money and bought a box of old used stuff from a friend. A lot of it was Herters. There was an old Herters No3 press, but no shell holders. They were a proprietary size and none could be found. My dad had a local guy make an adapter so it would use RCBS holders. We used it for years. Along with a powder measure, funnel, scale, and a case length gage.
Over time, he upgraded to newer stuff, but still mostly used.
When I bought my house and moved out, I used the old Herters press for several years. We still have it, and all of the other stuff we got in that box.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Sure was disappointed when we no longer got the Herter's catalog, although it had deteriorated a bunch in those final years. A modest amount of my loading gear is still Herter's -- several dies, powder scale, a great small-charge powder measure, powder funnel, and "Universal Neck size die" that I still break out on occasion when I need to load a cartridge I don't have dies for.

He coulda' got in trouble around my household back when it contained three strong women (wife and two daughters) -- One of his books was titled "How to Live With a Bitch". And he wasn't referring to dogs.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

If I had $1.00 for every minute I spent reading Herter's catalogs as a kid I'd by a Bullard. :D . sure helped pass a lot of cold winter days here in Ohio. I always thought a few Family members could use the book that earl is referring to........................ :shock: .
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ha-ha, great answer .45Colt!
I never understood why anyone would want to buy the volume Earl cites, but I gained clarity after my first marriage ... :lol:
I am thrilled to see that copies of the original catalogs are still available from used booksellers. May have to scratch the itch.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

I use to ware out my grandfathers catalogs when I was a small boy. They were gone I think by the time I hit my teens.