On The Range

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

On The Range

Post by JimT »

I have been slowly going to the dark side.
It's been many years since I had an blackpowder pistols and recently I came into one of the neatest!
The 1862 Police model.
This one is a Taylors & Co (I mean, what else would I get?) by Uberti. It is such a neat little gun!
IMG_2604.JPG
A bit smaller than a 4" S&W Model 10
IMG_2584.JPG
On the range today I I fired several different powder charges and then shot targets with a mild load. I used 12 gr. of Pyrodex P fired by a CCI #11 cap. I used .375" diameter balls and put SPG lube over them before firing. The barrel and cylinder stayed pretty durn clean.

I shot targets at 50 feet. The gun was held 2-handed and I rested my left elbow on the shooting table.
IMG_2615.JPG
The sights are pretty well centered. (that's a good thing) but that little bitty brass post .. at 50 feet the shots are 12" above the point of aim!

It is an easy shooting pistol. I really like it. Next time out I will run some full power loads.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: On The Range

Post by Old Savage »

Looks like pretty good shooting.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I had a similar replica from Pietta, if I remember correctly it shot pretty good.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Cool gun Jim!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Ray wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:10 pm Lost my recent reply while attempting an edit. When I pressed "submit" this is what I got.....
Ray .. I read it before it disappeared. I have a set of files that will work just fine on the rear notch. Great idea. Thanks.
Steve in MO
Levergunner

Post by Steve in MO »

That's neat, I really need to get into black powder firearms more.
"When the shooting stops, and the dead are buried, and the politicians take over; it all adds up to one thing: a lost cause."
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Ray wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:50 pm I don't understand it. Every time I try to copy or cut and paste some pocket/police chronograph data all I get is the above mentioned server error......
If you are trying to post a photo or screen capture, make sure it is either jpg, jpeg, or gif format. I have run into problems with other photo formats at times.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Here is my '62 Police. It's a real Colt 2nd gen. (I have 2 of them) Mine shoots very high too Jim, hold point was at bottom of the black square. Load was all the ffg Goex would fit under the ball topped by bowl ring wax with a little olive oil in it. (my secret black powder lube.) Target shot at 10 yards.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Thanks for sharing that. Its so cool that someone is still shooting these old Colts.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Got my first BP revolver at 14 (Navy Arms Griswold & Gunnison 44) and I've loved them ever since. I usually make a brass blade front sight, tall enough for a 25 yard zero and sweat solder it in.

That's a sweet little '62 Jim.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

That's a neat little handgun Jim. Sights, what sights? They are supposed to be filed down so when you slap leather they won't hang up. :lol: :lol: I have an 1860 Army .44 still in the box I need to get out and shoot.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Sarge, that's the fix all right for the front sight. Jim, I look forward to seeing your results with full power loads out of the '62. Have any Swiss FFFg on hand?
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I've never owned a percussion revolver, but always feel the itch. I really like the feel of them in my hand.
Maybe someday. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:42 am Sarge, that's the fix all right for the front sight. Jim, I look forward to seeing your results with full power loads out of the '62. Have any Swiss FFFg on hand?
Not yet. Soon. Maybe. Need to find a local dealer. Most online want to ship 20 pounds. Found some that will ship 5. still looking.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Jim,
The guy in Arkansas, Powder Inc I think, let me buy 10 pounds of 3f recently. You might give them a call.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

M.M. Wright .. and Ray ... thanks for the tips. Grafs has about the best deal online that I've found. I am still checking more or less locally. For the cost of shipping and hazmat I can drive a few miles. But those are good options. Buffalo Arms has it also.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
m.A.g.a. !
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Ray wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:41 pm Fallen pinecone hunting is also doable but the underlying granite, feldspar and quartz likes to shoot back and in a hurry !
Friend of mine bought a .44 Cap and Ball 1860 I think it was. He loaded it up and shot at a blackjack oak about 25 paces away. He woke up laying on it his back, staring at the sky, with a big lump on his forehead. Said he never shot a blackjack oak since.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
m.A.g.a. !
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

RAY!! THAT'S AS BAD AS THE STORY OF THE BOYS WHO WERE FISHING AND ON THE WAY HOME BLEW THE FUSE TO THE HEADLIGHTS ON THE TRUCK. SO THE DRIVER STUCK A .22 LONG RIFLE IN PLACE OF THE FUSE AND TOOK OFF DOWN THE ROAD. AT SOME POINT IT OVERHEATED AND WENT OFF. THE SHELL HIT THE DRIVER IN THE DANGLIES AND HE RAN OFF ROAD INTO THE RIVER. BOTH BOYS WERE RECOVERED OK. WHEN THE AUTHORITIES CALLED THE DRIVERS WIFE SHE WAS WORRIED WHETHER THEY LOST ANY OF THE FISH THEY HAD CAUGHT.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Ray wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:28 pm A thin and handsome Ray, circa 1995 or 1996 was deer hunting in uncle billary's national forest and was covered-up with grey squirrels. So he went back home to tiffin and, for the afternoon hunt almost fetched an air pistol but chose the ruger bearcat instead. sitting cross-legged on the ground he aimed at a very close by tree rodent and squeezed-off a shot. The grey went unscathed but poor Ray did not. Underneath all of that pinestraw and leaf litter and loam is solid rock. It was a long and painful gimpy trek back to the truck. There was no penetration but the right side dangler was severely bruised and never the same. The urologist was of the opinion that a fellow was better-off with just one but that you had better take good care of that one !
I feel really guilty laughing at your pain, but the way you wrote that has me chuckling still.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

When I was a Deputy, they did not issue the Texas Game Wardens enough funds to allow them to put gas in their vehicles and do regular patrol. Game Warden Malcom Watson used to ride with me so that he could get his hours in without going over his gas allowance.

We were on this sandy dirt road outside of Devine Texas and pulled up behind an old Ford Falcon. The driver was acting odd, and we could not discern why....so we followed a bit and he ran off into the bar ditch.

The two boys in the front seat were shooting rabbits on the side of the road with a .22 revolver of questionable origin. However, it was illegal to carry a handgun in Texas in those days.

Turns out that when they saw my patrol car, the driver shoved the revolver in his pants and promptly cranked out a round into his crotch making mess that led to his driving off into the bar ditch. We got him to the hospital in Hondo and no charges were filed. How could the law punish him any more than what he did to himself?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Years ago a friend of mine was a rookie riding with his Training Sgt. when they got a call about a robbery in progress. As they rolled up on the scene the bandit ran out the front door stuffing a revolver into his waistband. They both heard the shot. He ran down the street to an apartment building and they followed him. They could hear him going up the stairs and the Sgt. stopped at the bottom of the stairs. My friend said "Aren't we gonna go get him?" and the Sgt. answered, "Just wait a minute. I have a hangnail I need to take care of." They waited at the bottom of the stairs my friend said it felt like forever. Finally the Sgt. said, "OK. Let's go get him." They followed the blood drops and entered an apartment cautiously to find the bandit desperately wrapping toilet paper around his "johnson" to stop the bleeding. He was happy to go with them to the hospital and later on to jail.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:52 am When I was a Deputy, they did not issue the Texas Game Wardens enough funds to allow them to put gas in their vehicles and do regular patrol. Game Warden Malcom Watson used to ride with me so that he could get his hours in without going over his gas allowance.

We were on this sandy dirt road outside of Devine Texas and pulled up behind an old Ford Falcon. The driver was acting odd, and we could not discern why....so we followed a bit and he ran off into the bar ditch.

The two boys in the front seat were shooting rabbits on the side of the road with a .22 revolver of questionable origin. However, it was illegal to carry a handgun in Texas in those days.

Turns out that when they saw my patrol car, the driver shoved the revolver in his pants and promptly cranked out a round into his crotch making mess that led to his driving off into the bar ditch. We got him to the hospital in Hondo and no charges were filed. How could the law punish him any more than what he did to himself?
It would have just been adding insult to injury.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost