Favorite Double Action Woods Bumming Gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Favorite Double Action Woods Bumming Gun

Post by jeepnik »

The thread on single actions got me to thinking. What are my favorite double action revolvers.
This one I toted all over God's creation for decades. Perfect for a southpaw.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Re: Favorite Double Action Woods Bumming Gun

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have a friend who really likes that same gun, I believe.

I started out with my first double action being a 6" K22 and I must say it's still one of favorites, although I quite often carry a centerfire caliber instead, anymore.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

The gun I've always got on me is this S&W 637 which, after turning the barrel a tad, shoots spot-on to 50 yards with 140-158 grain bullets.

Years ago I had 4 and 6 inch H&R 999s and that 4" gun was about the perfect fishing/camp gun.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

S&W PC 627
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

6" 629 classic 44 mag with 2-240 gr JHP, 2-240 SWC, and 2- snake shot
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I like this 3" full lug 629 with the "endurance package". Compact power. It's a surprisingly good shooter.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

.45 acp, or auto rim....My "mini" mountain gun.....
Although, I feel a lot better if I tote my old 94 30 WCF.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Ruger Redhawk 44 mag
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Just general woods walking here in Pa....model 66 Smith with a 4" barrel. In big bear country.....4" 29.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I was thinking of doing a similar post but you beat me too it. I'm really more of a double action guy. My 460 X-Frame "banana gun" is my favorite revolver. It just balances really well in the hand and can shoot almost anything .452.

Some cool recovered bullets from the dirt hillside. A 275 Barnes, a 300 Hornady XTP Mag and a 312 Punch Bullet.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

S&W 66-8 4.25” Combat Magnum
I got one of the first ones available. I had been watching for months.Sweet right out of the box. I love my 19s but this newbie with 180 grain wide flat nose out to 100 yards is absolutely the cats meow for me. I had a Dan Wesson pistol pack and that captured barrel is a winner for me. What lock?😉
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Although it's fairly new to me, my Smith model 66-2 would be the one I chose.
It's been a hot and buggy Aug. I'm looking forward to the cooler weather to enjoy some shooting!
Johnny
Last edited by JOG on Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

something interesting to me about my Smiths is that they are VERY corrosion resistant. you can leave it on the binnacle over winter with no heat in the boat and at most i've seen small irregular light brown spots that wipe off with an oiled towel.

on the other hand, i saw a stainless Ruger 44 that wintered on an unheated boat in the Juneau boat harbor, and it was completely corroded with pitting and discoloration, to the point that it might not have been fixable.

I have no idea if the current Ruger stainless guns are the same way, but the Smiths are much easier on upkeep, they seem inert.
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

Although this changes over time (sometimes on a whim), my current "go to" is a 2 3/4" S&W M69 (5 shot L Frame .44 mag). I removed the finger groves and rounded the butt of the pictured Hogue Tamers (this was a quick and dirty mod to see how it would work). As I've aged, and become more mobility challenged, my time afield is pretty much limited to an 1 1/2 (every day). The little 44 fits comfortably in the back pocket of my Carharts. Loaded with 240gr commercial cast (deep seated) over 5.0gr of WST, it's a joy to shoot. Backed up with 240gr Cutting Edge flat point mono's and H110, it can handle pretty much anything I encounter.

Paul
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Nice photos !! sorry no photos here, have a 4 in. S&W 629 & a Ruger 454 Alaskan & a S&W 642
I carry the 642 most of the time, it is far from my favorite revolver, but its just so handy to carry
when i go up in the mountains i take the 454, a modest amount of Unique gives me 1030 fps with a 300 gr.
cast bullet, good for any thing that bites

Brad
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Ruger Security Six. 4" or 6" barrel. Depends on my mood which one I carry. Fit nice in an Air Force shoulder holster meant for a model 10.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

If I'm in the flats, I carry an S&W 651 stainless 4" .22 WMR "Kit Gun." If I'm in a place where there are lions (just about any mountains in CA), I carry a Ruger Police Security Six .357 w/a 2 3/4" bbl. Easy to carry and stands up to full-blast Magnums just fine.

These are strictly for self-defense, not plinking, not hunting. So I don't carry an arsenal of ammo--if you can't kill a lion with six .357s, you won't need seven....

Carrying all the other stuff you need to take in the real boonies, especially water, is hard enough when you're 78. Add a metal detector (and hopefully some metal on the way back) and you can't lug a cannon, too.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I bought the 1917 at a farm auction when I was 19. That $200 was every dollar I had at the time and I took that thing everywhere for many years. The .45 AR is one of my all time favorites. The Model 29 was given to me by an uncle when I was about 26. He had bought it new and fired it about 12 times and put it back in it's case. As big as it is, it carries well and is a tack driver with 240 - 250 gr. bullets. If I try heavier or lighter, the groups open up a bit.
The 327 TRR8 is a blast and has pushed the old timers into semi retirement. I don't worry about banging it up or being out in nasty weather with it.

I've always been a big fan of the N Frames!

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Jason, which one of the 3 balances the best for you with heavy for caliber bullets? I'm thinking it would be the one with stag grips, but it could be the long barrel one maybe.
-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

CowboyTutt wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:00 pm Jason, which one of the 3 balances the best for you with heavy for caliber bullets? I'm thinking it would be the one with stag grips, but it could be the long barrel one maybe.
-Tutt
Andy,

I've tried up to 300 gr. hard cast, gas checked bullets in the Model 29. While it's still comfortable to shoot, the accuracy just isn't there with the heavier bullets. It's been awhile since I've played with it, being kind of obsessed with Ruger single actions lately, I may have to revisit that.
The Model 327 is just a fun shooter with everything I run through it up to 180 gr hard cast hand loads. It's not the tack driver like some of my older Smiths, but to be honest, i haven't put a lot of time into looking for the "best" bullet/ powder combination. it's only been a few years that I've paid much attention to the .357 Mag. I always have a couple around but this one and the Marlin CST have been a blast to shoot. That and my dad has been collecting Colt Troopers and a couple of Pythons over the last few years and has really become a big fan of the .357 Mag, so I've been working on target loads for him and his sixguns. Some of those late Troopers are unbelievably accurate. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Smith & Wesson 686 Mountain Gun or 629 Mountain Gun
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

in montana , it’s a model,60 smith 357, 3” kit gun

here in alaska an astra ‘ terminator’3” 44 magnum, 6 shot - basically N frame size but with grip shape that fits my hand better

each of these is unobtrusive , never in the way , but very accurate and up to most any task i need done
cable
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

The only double action I still have is this Bowen 45 Colt. I generally shoot 250 or 300 XTP's with 2400 0r HS-6. It now wears some custom target grips I found on Ebay. The grips are a bit bulky but improve my shooting with this gun.

Bowen 45 Colt.jpg
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Paul that Smith Model 69 looks to be about ideal.
That said, I have found myself jonesing for a plain vanilla Smith Model 10 again, although a .38 Special is really not up to confrontations with the big bears we have here.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Paul105 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:45 am Although this changes over time (sometimes on a whim), my current "go to" is a 2 3/4" S&W M69 (5 shot L Frame .44 mag). I removed the finger groves and rounded the butt of the pictured Hogue Tamers (this was a quick and dirty mod to see how it would work). As I've aged, and become more mobility challenged, my time afield is pretty much limited to an 1 1/2 (every day). The little 44 fits comfortably in the back pocket of my Carharts. Loaded with 240gr commercial cast (deep seated) over 5.0gr of WST, it's a joy to shoot. Backed up with 240gr Cutting Edge flat point mono's and H110, it can handle pretty much anything I encounter.

Paul
This gun makes a great deal of sense. I'd probably load it with a Skeeter load and be done with it.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

IMG_0385.JPG
IMG_0387.JPG
IMG_0413.JPG
This was my wife's. I don't have a "double action wood's bumming gun." But I like this one though I did give it to my daughter. Has a nice set of Blu Magnum grips by Tedd Adamovich on it. I never messed with double action revolvers much, preferring the old single action myself. But this one is a shooter!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Jim, that is a well balanced looking double action revolver. I prefer the "doubles" to the single actions so far, and that one looks really, really nice. -Tutt

BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Gp100 3" bbl 357, rides in a cross draw holster walking or ahorseback, 180gr buffalo bore. danny
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

OldWin wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:49 am I like this 3" full lug 629 with the "endurance package". Compact power. It's a surprisingly good shooter.
Real nice...
Been looking for one of those for years...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

jeepnik wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:56 pm The thread on single actions got me to thinking. What are my favorite double action revolvers.
This one I toted all over God's creation for decades. Perfect for a southpaw.
I have a similar, but earlier version. This one is a late 1920's version, and was purchased in Ogden, Utah from the Browning Bros. shop not long before it closed. The holster is marked Browning Brothers on the back. I bought this gun and holster from the original purchaser.

Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Every time Paul posts that photo of his 2 3/4" S&W M69 I want to run out and buy one. You're dead right Scott, that gun just makes sense.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

RIHMFIRE wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:17 am
OldWin wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:49 am I like this 3" full lug 629 with the "endurance package". Compact power. It's a surprisingly good shooter.
Real nice...
Been looking for one of those for years...
Thank you sir.
Found this one this past spring. It was NIB. The price on the box was $399.00 from 1989. :shock:. If only...... :D
I will say again, I was very surprised with how controllable and easy to hit with it was. If you get the chance, I highly recommend it.
I think the Lew Horton version without the endurance package and unfluted cylinder looks nice too. I expect, however, the lighter weight will make it a little more snappy than this one.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.