Favorite SA revolver(s) for packing

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Favorite SA revolver(s) for packing

Post by TraderVic »

Years ago I read John Taffin's description (his opinion) of a good packin' pistol as a SA revolver, barrel length of 4 1/2" to 5 1/2". Of course this is rather subjective and a matter of personal preference.
So, what's your favorite SA barrel length(s) and even calibers for your activities ?
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Favorite SA revolver(s) for packing

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

My absolute favorite is a bit over 4 inches (cut down from a 5.5 inch barrel to clear the old front sight cut). The gun is a .44 Special USFA that was one of a run that was done for the 20th Anniversary of the Shootists. I had Dustin Linebaugh install a dovetail front sight and a set of elephant ivory grips. It is sighted in for a 250 gr Keith bullet over 7.5 gr of Unique and it hits to the sights at 25 yards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

But there’s nothing wrong with 4 3/4 or 4 5/8. These two are in .44 Magnum but I generally shoot .44 Special loads in them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

My personal favorite is the 4.75", followed closely by the 5.5" version. I am not a fan of longer barrels on a SAA myself.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

......and do you prefer adjustable sights or fixed sights ?
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I definitely prefer fixed sights IF I can get them to coincide with where the bullet strikes.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I carry this quite frequently. In fact more often these days. It just feels right.

A plain unaltered, with the exception of a ORH rear sight, .45 colt Blackhawk. Loaded with a hard cast flat nose.

But regardless of what I carry, this always gets snapped on my belt.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I used to pack a couple different ones. My favorite was an Old Model Ruger Blackhawk .357 Magnum. The barrel was cut to 4 1/4" .. the topstrap remodeled to resemble a Colt SAA topstrap. The front sight sloped forward ... the back of the ejector rod was sloped forward. I did that as I discovered when carrying it shoved in my waistband, on a fast draw I sometimes pulled my underwear up near my chin because the ejector rod caught on them.
357ruger.jpg
ruger357.jpg
The other was another Old Model Ruger .357 that I had converted to .45 ACP by Jim Stroh. 3 /12" barrel. I eventually had this gun nickle-plated.
45acp.jpg
45acp5.jpg
45acp3.jpg
I prefer fixed sights on defensive handguns. The less parts to get out of adjustment or fall off, the better.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Screenshot_20210825-165011_Photos.jpg
I like packing a Freedom Arms. It's a .45 Colt and I have a .45 APC cylinder too.
When packing elk out I'll load it with Buffalo Bore hard cast bullets. It is very comfortable to shoot and accuracy is incredible. F.A. revolvrts are built like tanks!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I have a Freedom Arms Model 97 with .45 Colt and .45 ACP cylinders. I have carried it as my concealed carry gun at times. I like packing it in an old original Roy's Pancake holster. I use a 1911 magazine to carry spare ammo and act as a speedloader.
IMG_0366.JPG
IMG_2396.JPG
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

nice resolvers, all of them.
(even the little bitty one)
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My Bowen SBH and .45 Bisley. The Bisley usually has the .45 Colt cylinder in it. Both are usually loaded with hard cast LSWGC bullets. The larger frames fit my had far better than just about anything else.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Cool sixguns (and a fivegun)!
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Jim,

That ACP roller is the cat's pajamas for sure! Does it also shoot Auto Rims? I want it badly. Badly, I tell you.

Cat
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Catshooter wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:29 pm Jim,
That ACP roller is the cat's pajamas for sure! Does it also shoot Auto Rims? I want it badly. Badly, I tell you.
Cat
No. It was set up just for ACP's.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I reckon I've run the gamut, from Colts to Great Westerns, to Rugers, Ubertis, Iver Johnson, AWA, Armi Jaeger, Freedom Arms, and finally, Beretta, in such chamber inge as .32 WCF, .357, .38 WCF, .44-40, .41 Mag, .44 Spl, .454 Casull, .475 Linebaugh, and my all-time favorite, .45 Colt.
I started out, some 66 summers ago, with my Great-grand-dad's hand-me-down Frontier Six Shooter, complete with 7 1/2" barrel, the length that remains my favorite, still today.
I'm down to just 2 six guns today, both. 45-caliber, Beretta Stampedes; one with a 7.5" tube, and the other, a 4.75" version.
I've packed a long-nosed shooter so long, it just feels natural and comfortable to me, and I shoot better with it. In the end, those are the things that count.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I only ever packed 1 SA, a Ruger SBH 44 mag with 10" barrel and peep sight. It accounted for a lot of meat in Alaska, was sort of like shooting a short carbine, the 325Gr hard cast bumped the gun mostly straight back into my palm. it was a straight shooter. my daughter talked me out of it. :roll:

I packed the barrel with mud during one slide down the muskeg, after which I kept the muzzle taped with electrical tape, same as the rifles in the rain forest . . .

Screenshot 2022-02-20 111504.png
Last edited by Grizz on Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Beautiful hardware everyone!

And a special mention to Jason's incredible SB!
I still have to have this done to mine.

Anyway,
For me, the test is being able to move, work, and climb in and out of vehicles with no hang-up or interference.
Whether it is a combination of barrel length and holster doesn't matter......with two caveats.
I don't care for shoulder holsters.
The gun can't be so high, and barrel so long, that I can't get a good draw. Anything over a 5.5" and I wear it crossdraw.

I prefer a 4.75 Colt or 4.625 Ruger.
I'm just embarking on a new chapter with my new Colt. I also have a Ruger flat top .357 from 1960 that I like. I had a 4.625 NMB in 45 Colt back in the late 80s. It was nothing special and had had some hot suppers, but was one of the best packing Six shooters I've ever had. Like a moron, I let it get away.
If I have a rifle, and don't need a serious handgun, I will pack a short barreled Colt Frontier Scout or New Frontier .22. They are very light and shoot great.

I carry a handgun of some sort most every day, but there is just something special about sliding a nice single action into leather.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

My most carried SA for the past 20 years has been a Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt with standard length 4.X" factory barrel that was fixed up by Milt Morrison. It's been packed on a cartridge belt with a holster stamped "John Taffin Maker" and has been my companion on most hunts engaged in over those same two decades. The second most packed is an old model Single Six with factory 6 1/2" (IIRC) barrel. The Vaquero now wears a brass birdshead grip frame that John Taffin gave me and mostly shoots loads built with Unique under a mid 200's semi wadcutter of one make or another, but there's a few boxes in the stash that were loaded with 2400 should more "oomph" be needed. The OMSS gets carried in conjunction with the Vaquero as it does service in taking vermin and small game. Never have used one for concealed carry but have put a lot of miles on them in backwoods tramping while up north.

Recently I picked up Jeff Quinn's old 44 Special Ruger Blackhawk with 7 1/2" barrel, but haven't carried it anywhere except on the range so far. What I've learned so far is that both fixed and adjustable sights have their place and strengths. The 44 Spl was hitting a full ram's length to the left at 100 yards. A 180* turn of the adjustment screw had it hitting dead on at that distance. BUT over the course of shooting a few boxes of Skeeter Load cartridges through it the pin at the front of the rear sight started working its way out. I just pushed it in, but need to take time to put a bit of a bow in it to see if it'll stay put. Meanwhile, the Vaquero was hitting to the left for me. I took it to Shapel's 20 years ago and their 'smith tweaked the barrel just a smidgeon and haven't had to do anything to the sights since then. The OMSS has a sliding rear sight, but it's never shifted in all the years it's been with me.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

TraderVic wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:04 pm ......and do you prefer adjustable sights or fixed sights ?
Fixed sights are my preference for SAA style revolvers.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

JimT wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:09 pm I have a Freedom Arms Model 97 with .45 Colt and .45 ACP cylinders. "I use a 1911 magazine to carry spare ammo and act as a speedloader."

That is a great idea!
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

OM Flattop conversion in 45 colt
img_0208.jpg
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Mine is the 1 and only Single Six .44 special that John Gallagher and I did back in '93. It sports a 4&¹/⁴ barrel with a 5 shot cylinder. I got exactly what I wanted, a fishing vest gun. Light but with enough bite to get somethings attention .
20210224_174024.jpg
20210224_173722.jpg
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:45 am Mine is the 1 and only Single Six .44 special that John Gallagher and I did back in '93. It sports a 4&¹/⁴ barrel with a 5 shot cylinder. I got exactly what I wanted, a fishing vest gun. Light but with enough bite to get somethings attention .20210224_174024.jpg20210224_173722.jpg

That thing is simply fantastic!
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

at home in alaska , especially out at the mine where there a very large bears [ grizzlies ] i favor this one:

4" barrel , gary reeder ruger, in 45 colt with a fairly warm 300 gr cast load [ someone here will probably recognize this one }

at our other home in montana, i like this one:

4 1/2'' 44 magnum, US Arms Abilene, very handy and really accurate with a warmish keith cast load :

usually dont carry it in the beaded 'barbecue event' holster:

i have other i really like inclouding 5 1/2", and 7 1/2" pistols that i can shoot very well, but for handiness and for something always with me on 4 wheeler or truck etc, these shorter barrels are best for me
cable
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Thanks Jay! As far as I know, it's one of a kind. I know before John passed away he made a couple in 41 special.
Oh, my dog walking gun- we have A LOT of bears here, seriously in NJ! Anyhow that is a 4&3/4 Blackhak 41mag. I put a brass grip frame on it, that extra weight helps tame that short barrel.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

My favorite barrel length is 4 5/8" to 4 3/4" chambered for .45 Colt.

Currently my only short barreled SA is my 1973 vintage, Uberti made, Iver Johnson imported Cattleman that Nate Kiowa Jones rebuilt for me.
IJSteelgrip.jpg
As for sights I really don't care weather they are adjustable or not as long as they are straight and line up with with where I aim.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Haven't done anything in quite a few years that I carried my revolvers for. My Ruger Blackhawk in 4 5/8 inch barrel is pretty comfortable. The .45 ACP cylinder is laser accurate.

PillHer has a SP101 in .327 Mag with the adjustable sights and a 3 inch barrel. With lead bullets designed for a .32-20 115 grain flat point pushed by Universal, it is a lot of fun. Weight is not much.

My .480 Ruger Super Redhawk with a 7 1/2 inch barrel goes in a crossdraw holster. I haven't actually carried it. Not much need around the area where I live. In an area with lots of wilderness, it might be more useful.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

Bought this 4 1/4" FA97 45 colt from Mark Hargrove 15 yrs ago. Always been one of my favorites and is the handgun I've shot the most. Had the bottom of the grips narrowed (eliminated the bottom flare) by Scott Kolar. Mark must have had some work done on it because it is the smoothest FA97 I've ever handled. It came with a 45 acp aux cylinder now is now a permanent resident on a 3 1/2" round butt FA97
Paul
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

My Bob Munden Bisley again.

5 1/2 inch original stock barrel. Chambers reamed to .452 and I have often thought about shortening it to 5 inches. Honestly for field carry when camping, the extra length is not really noticed. But I think 5 inches would be perfect and thinking about having Sixgun Magic and Jeff Ault doing the upgrade and a tune up.

Grips by retired Carey at CLC Grips. They are "shouldered" and the wood stabilized to reduce recoil in the hand and increase durability. Mine use a rear Bowen Rough Country rear sight with opposable screws to lock it down. It has all the advantages of a fixed sight while no disadvananteges of the same. Free spin pawl was also added by Bob. Helps a lot. It's weight is for a 360 grain bullet at 1150 fps in 45 Colt. Its a handful in this gun. Thank you!!! -A-
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Have shot this gun and think it to be a candidate for the best all around ever.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Old Savage wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:22 pm Have shot this gun and think it to be a candidate for the best all around ever.
What do you have there Old Savage ? Is that a 45 Colt ?
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

It's not Fred's "yet". Maybe some day LOL! It was my first ever handgun or gun of any kind. The front sight was made by someone who I can no longer remember or even find out on this forum unfortunately. I built it for long range shooting. I did also add a Belt Mountain over-sized Sheriff's base pin with a detent to get maximum ejector rod length. It's no Freedom Arms, but its pretty darn slick after Bob's tune up. All the guns posted here on this post are really exceptional! Mine might be a bit better for long range shooting maybe. I blame Jim T. Terrible early influence!!!! (Sorry Jim!) LOL -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have a Freedom Arms that could be waiting for you ;-)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

T Vic, Colt SAA in 45 Colt.

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Now, I do like a SAA with a 7.5 inch barrel for shooting.

Jim's .480 Achilles feels really good in my hands. A good balance between weight, power and controlability.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

The one I have carried the most is a Ruger Single Six in 32 H&R. Whenever I am in the woods, cutting fire wood, on the tractor cutting brush it is on me. It does a good job on skunks and other pest. I have a few of them now and a single 7. But the Baby Vaquero with 4 5/8 in barrel is the one I have carried the most. It is light and compact.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Seems as if the members here are able to use loads that go up to OH WOW!!!, or down to mild enough for anyone. Using a load which can kill a ticked off bear isn't always needed. Even PillHer's little .327 is nice when loaded down to near starting loads with 115 grain lead and Universal.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

My .45 Blackhawk might be called on to deal with a black bear or a cougar. But most likely only a coyote as far as four legged critters go. No, my most likely need would be against a two legged critter.

For that reason I use a hard cast Keith bullet behind a reasonably stout powder charge. In working up the load I strove for both accuracy, power and controllability. I found one that works for me in this particular revolver.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Walker wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:38 am OM Flattop conversion in 45 colt
img_0208.jpg
Very nice!

I've been thinking it's time to have another one done. I have been watching for another old model SBH to have
done like my first one.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My FAVORITE would be my matte-stainless 6" 32-20 Winchester on a Vaquero Ruger frame, serial-numbered sequentially with the double-action mate 32-20 in 3" that's on a Ruger SP frame... 8)

They go so well with the set in 44-40 made on Blackhawk and Ruger GP frames... 8) 8)

. . . . . :|

. . . . . :(

Naptime over. . . Gotta leave Dreamland. . . :cry:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:33 am Now, I do like a SAA with a 7.5 inch barrel for shooting.

Jim's .480 Achilles feels really good in my hands. A good balance between weight, power and controlability.
My experience is that the Colt SAA "plow frame" grip is just too small for me, and I have medium/large hands (my gloves I buy large). The Ruger Bisley frame is an approximation of Elmer Keith's #5 Grip frame hybrid. The Ruger frame uses a basically #5 grip frame but a hammer design which is a "hand biter" extraordinaire. The Freedom Arms revolvers seemed to fix all of these things and make the best of all worlds in a grip frame and hammer. Dick Casull and Wayne Baker knew what they were doing. So does his son Bob Baker. -Tutt

samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

My first one was an original large frame Vaquero .44 that I bobbed to 4", round butted and scalloped the recoil shield & loading gate. Made it smaller and handier, but it still wasn't light. Lipsey's made me retire that one when they brought us the .44 Special Flattop. Mine got a SBH hammer and aluminum grip frame and it's probably all I'll ever need. I do enjoy seeing everyone else's tweaked/custom shooters.

I did pick up a 32 H&R Single Six last year with the intent of using it as a trail gun, but after 30+ years of my sidearm being something starting with "four", I haven't been able to make the leap yet.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

IMG_0105.JPG
Both of these 3rd Gen Colts started life as 7-½" barreled .45 Colts. The one on the bottom, (sporting a fresh rebuild from the Oglesby & Oglesby shop was the replacement trick the insurance company played on me in 1982 after my 2nd gen 4-¾" gun was stolen! Whoever they had do it was darn good. I never spotted (ignorance is bliss) the fake until a sharp eyed fellow shooter told me about the significance of the one line address on the barrel! The one on top is a mid '90s addition when cowboy action shooting went from a single handgun to a pair. IIRC, it's a '79 production that a local smith did the chop on. The crown is not nearly correct, and the bluing is well... you can see! But, with it's Oglesby & Oglesby action job it's smooth and crisp! Looks ain't everything! For competition they generally get fed a diet of Cowboy45Specials with 3.4 grains of Clays (?) and a 160 RFN. For social occasions they have 6.5 grains of RedDot and a 200 grain pill for what's ailing me! Not a terribly powerful load, but no one's offered to test it's viability! I ain't heard of any grizzlies down here in TX!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Griff, what do you mean by fake and the one line address?

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Griff wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:19 am For social occasions they have 6.5 grains of RedDot and a 200 grain pill for what's ailing me! Not a terribly powerful load, but no one's offered to test it's viability! I ain't heard of any grizzlies down here in TX!
That's more than enough for anything we are liable to shoot in Texas.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:43 amGriff, what do you mean by fake and the one line address?
Fake, as in they faked me out... they'd tried to get me to accept the 7-½" 3rd gen as a replacement for my 4-¾" for a couple of months... finally said that they couldn't find a 4-¾", but they'd keep trying. 2 months later they called and said they have one, come get it! I was just so happy to have the replacement, I never looked that close at it, or the BOX! Which sez 7-½" right on it! The 5-½" & 4-¾" have the Colt's Manufacturing and the caliber on two lines, while on the 7-½" its all on one line. Or so I've been told.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

My 79 has it on one line.

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Here is my current fave Colt made in 1927 chambered for 45 Colt. Not the original nickel but nicely done. And yes, it has the barrel address on two lines. Grips are Walrus ivory
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

ss hunter.jpg
SINGLE SIX HUNTER IN 22 MAG MOST OF THE TIME
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS