I finally did it

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

I finally did it

Post by OldWin »

Since I was a kid, I've wanted a 4.75" Colt SAA. For whatever reason, over the decades, I just never connected.
Not that I don't have one at all. I have a 1st gen .45, and a 2nd gen .357. They are nice guns, but both 5.5". My kids prefer 5.5, so I won't get rid of them. I did have a nice 4.625" Vaquero. It was a good gun, but just not the same.
I occasionally look around for one that isn't stupid money, but that don't happen much.
I'd heard the recent production SAA's have been pretty good, quality wise. And of course, they went back to the removable cylinder bushing, so the newer guns became an option.
I had kind of decided on a 44 Special this time, but unfortunately that is a custom chambering now. Forking
over 3500 bucks and waiting 2 years......? I didn't want a 44 that bad. A clean second gen is about the same money, and if it's used, anything could have been done to it.
I found this 45. I got it for a reasonable price, plus I had made a bunch of profit on a S&W I sold recently. With that, I'm not in it for too bad. I knew if I didn't do it now, I never would. I was very pleased with the fit. Frame to grip frame is excellent. The hammer contour to grip frame radius is great, as well. Colors are in the middle. I've seen better and worse. Ain't gonna be no safe queen. Hope it shoots!
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I finally did it

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I'm happy for you! That's a great looking shooter.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

That's a beauty man! And those colors look really good to me. Let's see, case nearly full of ffg, 250 grain RNFP lubed with SPG ought to take care of about anything. You're really gonna like this one.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Congratulations on your new Colt saa! It doesn't get much better than that!
You found a gunfighters length barrel in 45 Colt too!
I had one 10 years ago in 44-40 with the short barrel like yours.{custom shop}
Like a fool I let it go on a trade for a M1a.
The odds of finding a Colt saa at a reasonable price are slim to none!
The Colt's feel so much lighter than a Ruger {Blackhawk or Vaquero} in the same caliber and barrel length!
Now get a fancy cowboy holster for kicking around the wood's with!
Happy for you! :P
Johnny
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks everyone! I'm pretty tickled.
Sitting down in the gunroom watching westerns while I broke it down and wiped out the bore and cylinder. Lubed it up proper, then loaded her up with snap caps and ran her for a while.
Boy! It's all fresh and crisp.
I was quite surprised how well it is timed and how tight it is. I haven't measured gap and shake yet, but there is maybe .001 shake and I'd say the gap is just about right. I will put a feeler on it tomorrow.
Trigger isn't bad but it could be better. Just new and stiff I think. About the same as my 2nd gen I think. My 1st gen has had work done so I can't compare.
I usually cast the old Lyman 454190 for other 45s. Usually just dump in 8gr of Unique with pretty good results. I've shot some plated bullets too, but realize that is sacrilege. :D
I have a decent holster for it already, but not a matched comple rig.
I'm thinking a call to El Paso Saddlery may be in order.
I also may pick up one of the Mernickle carry holsters for it.
It ain't gonna be no safe queen. :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Guns are not “her”. They are the most phallic instruments you will come across unless you are gender confused. Now, on to congrats. Found one after many years in perfect shape, a 79.

Now on to best loads🌝
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Old Savage wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:25 pm Guns are not “her”. They are the most phallic instruments you will come across unless you are gender confused. Now, on to congrats. Found one after many years in perfect shape, a 79.

Now on to best loads🌝
Well all I know is I spend a lot of time fondling my guns.
A dude's name don't seem quite right to me. :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I am concerned for you. Do fondle anything else that “shoots” ? ??!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Old Savage wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:56 pm I am concerned for you.
Hahahaha! My man OS!
I think I'm the one thinking straight. :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

What you got straight … think about it ;-)

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Way cool!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

beautiful revolver!!! that's a keeper for sure. hope you get lots of field time with him. 8)
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

OldWin wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:51 pm
I usually cast the old Lyman 454190 for other 45s. Usually just dump in 8gr of Unique with pretty good results.
That load is probably perfect.

You might think about getting a carry holster from Simply Rugged. It is the most comfortable daily carry holster I have.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Sweet!!. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I never thought of my guns as having a gender, although there is "Mr. F--kwith", which is my Ruger Super Blackhawk, whom I would introduce to a potential adversary.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

That's a great looking Colt SAA and I also love the 4.75" barrels for the SAA. I think the colors are very nice and I'd be tickled to own one that nice also. I have an AWA 4.75" in .45 Colt I love, but as great as the action is, it's not a real Colt.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Beautiful just beautiful..... I'm green with envy but congratulations on a fine acquisition to your armoury..... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:02 am
OldWin wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:51 pm
I usually cast the old Lyman 454190 for other 45s. Usually just dump in 8gr of Unique with pretty good results.
That load is probably perfect.

You might think about getting a carry holster from Simply Rugged. It is the most comfortable daily carry holster I have.
Thank you sir! I will definitely check those out. As much as I love ALL SAA's, the 4.75 is the one I think of packing the most.
I live in a small Maine town. We can open carry here, but I doubt I would unless headed out to the field. I would feel fine packing a single action Colt on the street here. That's why I would like a concealment holster for it. I also think it would be great for hunting, because it keeps it out of the way. In and out of Jeeps and treestands, and navigating thick woods that can get caught up on a traditional rig.

I want to thank everyone for their kind comments on my new Colt. I have waited a very long time for this. I don't know why, really. It's funny the things we do sometimes.

I brought it over and showed my dad this morning. He really liked it. He is directly responsible in a way.
When I was a little kid, the only handgun he owned (and still has) was a Colt Frontier Scout. I was fascinated with it, and it was the first handgun I ever fired. He has a factory Colt droploop belt and holster for it that is really neat. I have never seen another one (maybe some of you guys know about them?).
Like I said, it's not that I don't have others, but this one seems special. Like a goal accomplished for some reason.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

You should slug your bore but this 3rd gen will be .452 but don't worry, your .454 bullets will work just fine and that 8 grains of Unique is a very useful everyday load. Take a look at Purdy Gear for a holster and I really like my El Paso rough out money belt which they call the Duke or something that identifies it as like John Wayne's. Another thing, I have had several SAAs in 45 Colt that I fitted with 45ACP cylinders and really liked them. In fact I dug through the safe last night and found an old re-nickeled Bisley in 45 that I just might have an ACP cylinder added to. Now all I gotta do is find a 1st gen cylinder that's been nickeled.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Old Win wrote: " I have waited a very long time for this. I don't know why, really. It's funny the things we do sometimes." sure feels good when it finally happens don't it.? I always wanted a Colt but early on I settled on the Lyman's Keith bullet with Elmers recommended charge of 2400 . so I stuck with Rugers.
My whole life I wanted a Browning Auto 5 shotgun. never happened till I was 65......now I am nut's over them. :D .
I bet that Colt is going to be Your favorite. Good Shooting.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

OldWin wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:30 am
Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:02 am
Thank you sir! I will definitely check those out. As much as I love ALL SAA's, the 4.75 is the one I think of packing the most.
I live in a small Maine town. We can open carry here, but I doubt I would unless headed out to the field. I would feel fine packing a single action Colt on the street here. That's why I would like a concealment holster for it. I also think it would be great for hunting, because it keeps it out of the way. In and out of Jeeps and treestands, and navigating thick woods that can get caught up on a traditional rig.
I don't mind carrying a SAA on the street, even here in San Antonio. A .44 Special Skeeter load is plenty of gun for anything or anyone I am likely to encounter.

This is exactly what I would recommend for your purposes. It is the one I wear in town with a SAA and it is very comfortable and conceals easily. You will literally be able to forget that you are carrying it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thank you again, all! Much appreciated.

Nice setup Scott! Thank you for the pics.
I remember years ago seeing concealment holsters for 4.75" "Colts in the old Dillon catalogs. I remember thinking it was a great idea and kind of filed it away. I'm glad to see there are makers still doing this. Keeping the old smoke wagon high and tight is good for carrying when hunting or walking a lot.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

These from Barranti, cross draw and more traditonal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Miernike's holsters are really well made and I have a couple of them. Mike Barranti makes top shelf leather.

But for my use, they leave too much of the gun exposed. The nice thing about the Simply Rugged holster that I use (and I have them make them with only two belt slots) is that brush cannot sweep your hammer back and you cannot get your trigger finger in the trigger guard until the gun clears leather. Its also easier on shirts and outer garments.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice stuff! Thanks for the info and pics, guys.

I yell ya, there has to be money in the holster business.
I bet everyone here that owns 3 handguns or more has a Rubbermaid tub full of holsters. There is just no way to know until you try em.
But like I've said for years, a good holster can make the gun. Just like a garbage holster can make a good gun seem bad.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

A big congrats Jay glad ya got one i know you`ve been eyeballing my 44 spl. short barrel for a long time.
Happy for ya buddy. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Pitchy wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:20 pm A big congrats Jay glad ya got one i know you`ve been eyeballing my 44 spl. short barrel for a long time.
Happy for ya buddy. 8) :)
Haha thanks Lenn!
It's true. That is a beautiful Colt you have. I was telling my dad about that 44 just the other day.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

OldWin wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:51 pm Thanks everyone! I'm pretty tickled.
Sitting down in the gunroom watching westerns while I broke it down and wiped out the bore and cylinder. Lubed it up proper, then loaded her up with snap caps and ran her for a while.
Boy! It's all fresh and crisp.
I was quite surprised how well it is timed and how tight it is. I haven't measured gap and shake yet, but there is maybe .001 shake and I'd say the gap is just about right. I will put a feeler on it tomorrow.
Trigger isn't bad but it could be better. Just new and stiff I think. About the same as my 2nd gen I think. My 1st gen has had work done so I can't compare.
I usually cast the old Lyman 454190 for other 45s. Usually just dump in 8gr of Unique with pretty good results. I've shot some plated bullets too, but realize that is sacrilege. :D
Avoid El Paso Saddlery, they are having serious issues. I ordered a holster in May for a 7 1/2" Vaquero, waited two months to get it and they made it wrong. Emails, phone calls over and over. Finally thought I'd gotten through to a guy that was going to take care of the issue and haven't gotten a response in over a month. I have six of their holsters and a belt, great stuff, but really disappointing!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Wow! That ain't good! Sorry for your troubles.
I will do my research before doing anything.