Concealed Carry

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Concealed Carry

Post by TraderVic »

I gather many/most of the forum members do carry some, most or all of the time. I'm guessing some prefer autos, some revolvers and some use a mix.
Several questions ;

What do you prefer to carry ? If you carry a revolver, do you typically carry speed strips or speed loaders for spare cartridges ?

Do any of you have Concealed Carry Liability insurance ?
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Concealed Carry

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

If I have pants on, I have a gun on. Generally these days I prefer to carry a J frame .357 revolver and I keep a speed strip in my right front pocket. But I also like the pick box type of ammo carrier by DeSantis.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Taurus 92.

I have a 9mm and 45 ACP in 1911 format and consistently shoot faster and more accurately with the 9mm so went with the PT-92 since I like hammer-down carry.

Concealed even though open carry ok in my state. Not always 'fully' concealed though because in my area nobody really cares.

Only time I carry 'smaller' would be a 22 WMR NAA Mini Revolver clipped to swimming or jogging shorts. Only time I carry 'bigger' would be Redhawk in 44 Mag or 45 Colt probably carried in-hand in a paper bag.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

For carry it's auto's. Colt lightweight commander 45 acp, or a old German M11 Sig P228 9mm.
I'm consistent with both therefore that's what I carry. There's always room for improvement.
The only reason I carry handguns is because my Winchester to big to carry on my hip! :P
Johnny
Steve in MO
Levergunner

Post by Steve in MO »

On the farm it's usually a Ruger Vaquero 44 Special, just because. When it's miserably hot and I have to go out in public, I'll carry my S&W 642 38 Special with the Barami Hip Grip and an extra six rounds on a Tuff Strip. Once it cools down I'll have either the Vaquero if I'm staying in our small town, or my old Novak Lightweight Commander .45 if I have to go to the "big" city. At this point in my life, I try to make it a habit of avoiding the situations where I'll need anything more.
"When the shooting stops, and the dead are buried, and the politicians take over; it all adds up to one thing: a lost cause."
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

all autos, sometimes three at once. could be 4 if the 1911 wouldn't drop my drawers
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

If in bed i dont carry, most of the time a 642 or a lcp 380, out side around home it can go from the 642 to
a Ruger Alaskan 454 if theire is a bull in the pasture, got charged by a 1 ton mad Angus bull & i had the 642
i shot him at about to close for comfort but missed the brain but that hot lead cooled him off, i was wishing
that i had alot more gun when he started to charge, no i didnt kill him but the 454 would have

Brad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I never leave home without the old style LCP.
I have a Sig 365 SAS that will (sort of ) ride comfortably in my jeans pocket.
When I go play in the woods (bears/cougars around these parts) the Glock 30 goes along with in the truck, with several loaded mags...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

A small .380 is in my jeans pocket all the time. The Smith & Walther & Wesson model 99 compact in .40 cal can hide under almost any clothing with a tuckable holster. Yes, it does have both Walther and Smith & Wesson on it. The frame was made by S&W, and the upper was made by Walther.
In the 45 days per year that we can wear a jacket, I sometimes have a Glock model 22 in .40 cal, or a RIA 1911 in a paddle holster.
I seldom open carry. I couldn't care any less about it if someone else does. I see an open carry in a decent leather holster and think that they know what they are doing. A paddle or other kydex holster and I assume former Military, or LEO. Carry in just the pants without a proper holster causes me to pay attention to the person and their actions/behavior.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

I carry a Sig P938 9mm most anywhere I go. I need to find a better holster for it. I have a Ruger GP100 3" 357 that I'm planning to carry sometimes, while walking in the north country (bears and dipsticks)!. I need a good holster for it, perhaps a Simply Rugged pancake holster is the answer.
I've also been considering concealed carry insurance in case I ever need the help with an incident.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I usually carry, a Colt Lightweight Commander, 45acp in a Milt Sparks IWB holster. Spare mag usually in a knife case similar to a Buck 110 knife case. Sometimes a second spare mag in my vest.

Sometimes I carry a smaller Smith and Wesson Shield in a Kydex IWB holster, spare mag in in pocket or vest.

Sometimes smaller autos or maybe revolvers in a pocket. Also, sometimes I carry a 4.75" singleaction revolver in an IWB holster, spare ammo in pocket, sometimes OWB holster on the singleaction and sometimes use OWB holster on the Lightweight Commander, also, if I am not too worried about someone noticing. It depends on where I am going..

But sometimes, i will drop down to a NAA 5 shot .22 mag revolver or two in pockets, whatever I carry, I always have a big knife as backup. And sometimes, if for reasons like flying somewhere, and not wanting to declare a handgun in my luggage, and go through all of the BS, I will just carry a large hunting knife, and fighting cane. The Bowie knife I put in my luggage, (not my carry on) but the fighting cane, I just carry it on the plane, as it pretty much just looks like a regular cane, and I have never had a problem flying with it. Example: I did my research and learned that I could legally carry a 5 inch Hunting knife in Atlanta, Georgia, and I had to fly so I carried it in a handmade Inside the waste band holster, and the cane. I could have legally carried a gun but just didn't want to mess with it. But I am a weapon's man, so I will always have some kind of weapon or several on my person.

In Georgia, I was staying at a hotel, and needed to walk across a dark parking lot one night to a station across the street, and that knife and cane did not give me much confidence, especially, after seeing the bars on the sales counter in the quick mart after dark. I wouldn't live down there in the city, for an extra hundred thousand dollars a year. Certainly, a different world, for this old country boy.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Most generally carry a XD-s in 45 on the place as it`s light and out of the way for cutting wood ect...
If on a woods walk a Ruger 44 mag SAA and Lever gun but don`t do that much anymore. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I’ve said before I’m fickle about what I carry. I pretty much just pick what suits my fancy. That said lately it’s been a .45 Colt Blackhawk.

Being a southpaw for years I lived with right handed guns. Today I try to stick to left handed ones. Not a large selection but enough to find something for most situations.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I picked up a used S&W 637 a few weeks ago and really like it. It's about the perfect summer gun.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Three seasons I carry either a Colt enhanced LW Commander or a Springfield full size Gov't model. I'm most comfortable and shoot the best with a 1911. I carry them strong side iwb in a Milt Sparks SS.

When the weather is hot, I carry a gen 4 Glock 19 in a Dale Fricke Arc angel appendix. Not my favorite, but way better than any mouse gun for me.

Woods carry....oh boy...
Either a 1911 stuffed with hardball in the above Milt Sparks, a Colt SAA .45 in either a double loop with or without the gun belt or a crossdraw, a Smith 4" 66 in an old Strong high ride, an early 4 5/8 flat top Blackhawk .357 in a locals version of a Lawrence holster, or a Smith 3" 629 in a belt slide.
Probably more I'm forgetting. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

After asking a similar question in a post a few weeks ago and after all the great feedback and suggestions, I have three that are in the rotation.

Most days its a Glock 26 in a front pocket holster with a couple of spare 12 rd P-Mags . My new 442 is with me anywhere around town, or somewhere that it would be unlikely that I would need it. A Colt LW Commander goes along in a Simply Rugged belt holster if i know I'm going to be in less desirable parts of Ohio.

Always in the truck are a Full size M&P and a Mossberg Shockwave.

As for woods carry, anything that starts with a .4!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

jeepnik wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:25 am I’ve said before I’m fickle about what I carry. I pretty much just pick what suits my fancy. That said lately it’s been a .45 Colt Blackhawk.

Being a southpaw for years I lived with right handed guns. Today I try to stick to left handed ones. Not a large selection but enough to find something for most situations.
I understand, as I am left handed also, although I can shoot righthanded pretty good. Being a user of the 1911 Colts and their clones, I have changed out and installed many ambi-safeties over the years. And the average gunsmith could never usually satisfy me with their installation job, so I was forced to learn how to do it myself, to meet my requirements. But yeah, many guns work fine for lefty's but some just plain do not.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Another lefty here, living with Kalifornia restraints but in a very RED county with a Second Amendment friendly sheriff not afraid to issue a concealed carry permit to law-abiding citizens. For every-day carry I prefer my Springfield Armory XD Compact .45ACP with a 10+1 round capacity (Federal Hydra-shock ammo) in an Alien Gear inside-the-waistband holster and a spare magazine on my belt, all concealed by wearing a loose un-tucked shirt. A North American Arms .22 Magnum with folding grip serves as front pocket backup.

Our liberals-in-command have legislated that hunting activities require non-lead ammunition, so when hunting I switch to my Ruger SP101 .357 snubbie loaded with 5 all-copper bullets and another 5 loose in my pocket. I have used it in the past with jacketed lead loads to dispatch downed deer, but have not yet needed it with the newly required all-copper load.

As for the CCW liability insurance, I know people who carry it, but I find it much too expensive for my limited budget. My plan is to mind my own business and continue to stay away from potential trouble while at the same time being ready if absolutely necessary.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Lastmohecken wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:08 am
jeepnik wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:25 am I’ve said before I’m fickle about what I carry. I pretty much just pick what suits my fancy. That said lately it’s been a .45 Colt Blackhawk.

I understand, as I am left handed also, although I can shoot righthanded pretty good. Being a user of the 1911 Colts and their clones, I have changed out and installed many ambi-safeties over the years. And the average gunsmith could never usually satisfy me with their installation job, so I was forced to learn how to do it myself, to meet my requirements. But yeah, many guns work fine for lefty's but some just plain do not.
I carry a Randall left handed 1911. Solves all of the issues. I particularly like confusing the heck out of folks at th range.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Those lefty-1911 Randall's were sweet. I'm ambidextrous and many's the time I saw those at the gun show. Was very tempted over the years, but never bit on one.

Cat
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Not quite ambidextrous, but I am close. Using a Left handed pistol is so simple as to not require any more thought than using a right handed one.
D. Brian Casady
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

where's the "droll" button? you got it again. :lol:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Seriously, the last time I took the test for my CHL, now called LTC, I shot the test left handed. Missed the bullseye once. I have always done things as a right handed person because that is how it was taught in school.
D. Brian Casady
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

piller wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:13 am Seriously, the last time I took the test for my CHL, now called LTC, I shot the test left handed. Missed the bullseye once. I have always done things as a right handed person because that is how it was taught in school.
Yep, I will never forget Mrs. Rivera. Every time I picked up a pencil with my left hand that yardstick would come down hard. I haven't been in a school in some years, but last time there they still only had righthanded desks.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

S&W 640 with speed strips. A Simply Rugged pocket holster and I do have insurance thru the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I carried a Model 60 S&W 5 shot .38 Special for decades, and no extra ammo. Figured if things weren't handled in 5 shots I sure wouldn't have time to reload.
Then I gave the S&W 60 to my oldest son, and began carrying a compact 9mm semiauto. Even when I carried the 60 I often carried my S&W 59 9mm, or my Colt .45 pre Model 70 semiauto. But only when the weather was cooler and I could wear clothes that allowed me to conceal those larger semiautos.
So now it's my compact 9mm, or my Colt .45 semiauto that I share carry duty with. But I don't carry spare magazines, or ammo. Just never personally thought it was a necessity.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

What I can find to read, it seems that most civilian encounters with handguns are finished with few rounds fired. Gang encounters and people targeting Cops are what I can find as far as high round count.
D. Brian Casady
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

piller wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:31 am What I can find to read, it seems that most civilian encounters with handguns are finished with few rounds fired. Gang encounters and people targeting Cops are what I can find as far as high round count.
I think that's right. When I was a Police Officer and later as a Deputy, I carried a full size gun and plenty of ammo. But then my job was to go to the trouble.

These days, I am not in the business of looking for trouble and I generally stay away from places where I may need a rifle. So, a five shot revolver with a speed strip in the pocket is more than enough.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I like carrying the 1911. For up close work it is quite the thumper. And if I have to make a 25 or 30 yard shot it ain't a chore. Some of us "body types" can hide a 1911 ... though actually, anyone can.

Front view .. 1911 concealed
hide- outside (1).JPG
side view .. 1911 revealed
hide- outside (2).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I’ve been known to carry a 1911 concealed back when I weighed 170 pounds and even today.

But I don’t care for the weight anymore. But the way I dress, I can hide anything.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Well I'm about 180, and almost always in a T shirt all summer, with blue jeans. So my Model 59, or my pre 70 Colt .45 are both not easy to conceal. I'd have to toss a loose shirt on, and just not something I'll do when temps are hot.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

One thing I dislike is when a job prohibits carrying. I need the job, but I am not required to like that policy. I just jollow the policy.

In my area, it is reasonable to guess that there are half or more of the customers who are carrying. I occasionally see the outline of the gun. It actually makes me feel safer to know that a good guy is carrying.
D. Brian Casady
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

CZ P07 with a Trijicon SRO. Worked over by Cajun Gun works. They do excellent work. Sometimes a Glock 20 10mm. I am pretty tall and thin and built different enough so I can conceal bigger pistols. For woods walks I often have two or three in the pack and rotate them throughout the day. I do a lot of dry fire practice as I cover ground. Often have the Glock 20, 21 or 40...sometimes a Bul Armory 2011 in 45 and often my Bowen modified Redhawk in 45 Colt....an old Ruger 44 flattop has been known to tag along too...