Old "stuff"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Old "stuff"

Post by earlmck »

The wife has been helping a friend of hers organize an estate sale after the death of the friend's dad. Friend's brother took everything worthwhile (guns, ammo, reloading supplies, newer tools) leaving not much of value behind. But from the looks of the remains he must have been one of "us", though instead of lever guns he liked to sporterize old military bolt guns, which he must have begun in the late 40's. And also he reloaded for 222, 6.5X55, 30-06, maybe some more. Today the boss brought back a few things they found stashed in a drawer in the back of a garage; I thought some were neat...
CaseLengthGauge.jpg
Western209Primers.jpg
Winchester209Primers.jpg
A paper sack of "mystery powder" that doesn't merit a picture and a few other "mystery" goodies, including a box of -- what do you call the short pieces of stock that cover the rear of the barrel in military weapons? All unlabeled. He had three fairly complete (and labeled) military stocks that I thought might be too good to throw away so I put 'em on "Gunbroker" to see if anybody wants 'em.

I used to have a Herter's case length gauge that was probably a cheaper copy of this "McKillen & Heyer" one. And the old shotgun primers -- late 40's, early 50's? Neat boxes, anyway.

Been a while since I have gone shooting. Our gun range folks overreacted to a BLM notice and closed down our gun range for a while. After some clarification we opened back up but only for shooting paper targets. The "prohibition" was the shooting of tannerite or of steel targets. I'm assuming we can blame the Hollywood "special effects" folks for those sparks they show whenever a bullet hits the steel catwalk the hero is running along. Unfortunately my bunch shoot nothing but steel targets for our matches so that eliminated the July shoot and unless we get a special dispensation (we have applied for one) the August shoot. I'm going to run out next week and shoot some paper; have some loads I'd like to test and chronograph for several rifles.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Old "stuff"

Post by Catshooter »

Neat old stuff Earl. The wood pieces are called 'handguards". He loaded some good calibers. .222, 6.5 & the great '06 cover a lot of ground. Not much you can't do with those.

Cat
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl not shooting? Good grief, that's unnatural. 8)
Hope you get permission to reopen the steel shoots, Earl. Those big targets are part of what makes the COSSA range special.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Not shooting? Man you gotta do something about that!!